The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The teams have been chosen, the bracket is set, and LU will be playing Villanova in Philly on March 17.

http://www.womensnit.com/uploads/2/0/0/ ... ublish.pdf
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Was our NIT bid an at large, or does the regular season runner up get an auto bid if the first seed wins the tourney? I was thinkng you only get that if you win the regular season and then lose in the tourney.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Was our NIT bid an at large, or does the regular season runner up get an auto bid if the first seed wins the tourney? I was thinkng you only get that if you win the regular season and then lose in the tourney.
I thought the same thing. Villanova has beaten Seton Hall this year while we had the worst home loss in Vines center history to SHU. SHU lead the nation in fewest TOs per game and we are 342 out of 344 teams with the worst TO margin. Should be fun. SHU may still be without their leading scorer for this game, still no word on her status and I think Sadalia Ellis may be back for us..
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Was our NIT bid an at large, or does the regular season runner up get an auto bid if the first seed wins the tourney? I was thinkng you only get that if you win the regular season and then lose in the tourney.
It was an auto. bid. Since the 1st place team earned the bid to the NCAAs we got the auto. bid to the NIT since we were runners up.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The auto-bid criteria is different for women than men. The women's bracket is also twice the # of teams (64) than the men. To fill the bracket, every conference receives an auto-bid in te from of the highest-finishing team not to make the NCAA tournament.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:The auto-bid criteria is different for women than men. The women's bracket is also twice the # of teams (64) than the men. To fill the bracket, every conference receives an auto-bid in te from of the highest-finishing team not to make the NCAA tournament.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of the different critería, and was wondering how we got our bid.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Anybody streaming the game? I dropped $9.95 for the game on the Nova broadcast. Cheaper than a drive and hotel in Philly.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Leatherwood played well. Hope we learn to play (perimeter) defense next year. Way too many open shots. I'm looking forward to next year when we have players who can run the floor and get out on the wings to prevent all the open corner 3's.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Big difference between the Big South and Big East: Nova killed us in steals (12), 3-balls (13), and offensive rebounds (15). Final score 67-51, but it was a 5-point game starting the fourth quarter. Thanks to all our seniors who battled for 4 years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
No surprise, it was the turnover differencial that did us in.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Yes, we had 18 turnovers to Nova's 7. And we only out rebounded them by ONE, 34-33. Second chance buckets killed us, too.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
They had 25 points on our TOs and 21 second chance points on 15 offensive rebounds. We were outhustled to the ball like at Asheville with their 25 offensive rebounds.

We played better last year in all aspects of the game. Lost to NCAA UNC by 5. This year, not so good. Lost to NIT Nova by 16 :( My best to all the seniors and here's to hoping next year gets us back in NCAAs though there will be some "rebuilding" after losing 4 starters. Leatherwood looked fairly poised the last couple games without Ellis. That's one position that should be a certainty, the other 4 will be up for grabs.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Interesting article in the local paper about the game: Coach Green admits he used the WRONG defense (2-3 zone) against Villanova, which is why they drained so many 3-balls against us.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... d2f3c.html
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Some of his personnel decisions, strategies and an obvious lack of using timeouts in critical situations has me scratching my head at times.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Interesting article in the local paper about the game: Coach Green admits he used the WRONG defense (2-3 zone) against Villanova, which is why they drained so many 3-balls against us.

Interesting that Nova coach Harry Peretta jumps to Carey's defense, citing how inconsistent they had been shooting the 3 all year and how Creighton beat them with the same 2-3 zone because they didn't make the shots.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Live by the 3, die by the 3...against Creighton they died by it...and against us WE died by it
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Interesting article in the local paper about the game: Coach Green admits he used the WRONG defense (2-3 zone) against Villanova, which is why they drained so many 3-balls against us.

Interesting that Nova coach Harry Peretta jumps to Carey's defense, citing how inconsistent they had been shooting the 3 all year and how Creighton beat them with the same 2-3 zone because they didn't make the shots.
If you have seen Creighton play they are better defensively and probably forced some of those shots. Creighton did the same thing to Seton Hall (who beat us by 37 points at the Vines) and beat them in the semis with their defense. Not all 2-3 zones are alike - we seldom went out on the wings to contest their shots :(
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
olldflame wrote:

If you have seen Creighton play they are better defensively and probably forced some of those shots. Creighton did the same thing to Seton Hall (who beat us by 37 points at the Vines) and beat them in the semis with their defense. Not all 2-3 zones are alike - we seldom went out on the wings to contest their shots :(
I know someone who coaches a nasty one
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I know someone who coaches a nasty one
I'm not sure an Upward Bound 2-3 zone would stop a Big East school like Villanova. :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I know someone who coaches a nasty one
I'm not sure an Upward Bound 2-3 zone would stop a Big East school like Villanova. :dontgetit
Still waiting for that Upward coaching spot to open up

Getting ready for Sir Elton. Check out our seats on FB!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Mrs. Cider will be there tomorrow in Cville.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]