The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It isn't this one season. It is the general trajectory of the program the last few years that frustrates most. He will never get fired though so it seems pointless to even discuss.
By GoUNCA
Registration Days Posts
I think the rest of the league has just gotten better.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am not sure rest of league has gotten better, we have just declined. It's been a slow downward process, but it's been happening over past several seasons. We need to recruit at a higher level.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
GoUNCA wrote:Finishing 2nd in the regular season and losing in double OT in the conference tournament championship seems like a silly time to call for a HC ouster.

Good season for your girls and a great championship game. Really fun to watch.
Probably more fun for you than us :wink:

Anyway, I think the rest of the league is better but we've also declined a bit, to the point that our winning the league is no longer certain.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The BSC has gotten considerably better as a league. The high quality of coaching in the league currently is impressive for a low -major league. And considering Coach Green's past successes are a big part all of us having the expectations we have, I'm not sure how any of us can ask him to pay for not meeting the high expectations he had the highest hand in creating.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:The BSC has gotten considerably better as a league. The high quality of coaching in the league currently is impressive for a low -major league. And considering Coach Green's past successes are a big part all of us having the expectations we have, I'm not sure how any of us can ask him to pay for not meeting the high expectations he had the highest hand in creating.
You could also say the same about Frank Beamer and the Virginia Tech football program. He still had to "retire," at some point.

Coach Green has done wonders for LU WBB. He has elevated the program higher than any other coach with any other program on the mountain, except maybe T&F/CC. However, it is clear that the rest of the league has caught up and we are not as good as we once were. Coach Green will continue to ensure that the program is successful for where we're at, but if we want to get back to the level we were, there should at least be a change in the coaching philosophy.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I agree on the change in coaching philosophy. We try to play 1960s basketball in 2016.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
This is what I was saying. It's great everyone is owning their opinion on this.

Tennessee had to move on from Pat Summitt and she is the only 1000 game winner in women's basketball history
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This is what I was saying. It's great everyone is owning their opinion on this.

Tennessee had to move on from Pat Summitt and she is the only 1000 game winner in women's basketball history
Uhhhhh. Par Summitt retired because she has Alzheimer's disease BJ.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I agree on the change in coaching philosophy. We try to play 1960s basketball in 2016.

We seem to continue to recruit "big and slow" and that dictates our style of play. Kelly Deyo in the broadcast said that LU hands down has the "best talent in the BSC" and all the coaches are surprised to see them lose 5 games this year. The BSC was down this year and we are still rated one of the worst conferences in the country. This team lacks any star quality players, we seem to have a lot of kids who are role players - no first team conference players for the first time in 20 years. We haven't upset any higher rated team in ions and often lose to teams with RPIs of 200-300. The game has become faster and quicker yet we have stayed the same. We will be fortunate to finish 5th next season in the BSC unless one of the incoming freshmen are a Devon Brown or Megan Frazee.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I have to say I trust JK37s evaluation of the league far more than anyone e!se who has commented. We actually haven't recruited a legit big in 5 years, and next years team should have a very different look. I think Sellers will be an impact player and Alexander has a lot of upside.
Last edited by olldflame on March 14th, 2016, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Hopefully that is what Sellers proves to be. She has Brown-type credentials coming in. Megan could have gone most anywhere.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I agree on the change in coaching philosophy. We try to play 1960s basketball in 2016.

We seem to continue to recruit "big and slow" and that dictates our style of play. Kelly Deyo in the broadcast said that LU hands down has the "best talent in the BSC" and all the coaches are surprised to see them lose 5 games this year. The BSC was down this year and we are still rated one of the worst conferences in the country. This team lacks any star quality players, we seem to have a lot of kids who are role players - no first team conference players for the first time in 20 years. We haven't upset any higher rated team in ions and often lose to teams with RPIs of 200-300. The game has become faster and quicker yet we have stayed the same. We will be fortunate to finish 5th next season in the BSC unless one of the incoming freshmen are a Devon Brown or Megan Frazee.
We did come close against some top-20 teams...and then things spiraled down from there.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:This is what I was saying. It's great everyone is owning their opinion on this.

That is not even relevant to this discussion! :roll:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good post above Chippy.

Pat Summitt got most of her wins when no one else took WBB seriously.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The BSC was down this year. Asheville was 9-22 last year with the exact team this year as last but a year older. They played one P5 team, a mediocre Clemson team and lost badly. If Radford and Winthrop had not had their injuries Asheville would not have had nearly the success they had in the conference. Nonetheless, you have to give the UNCA coach kudos for her mantra, "heart and effort" which paid off for a team with limited talent and no height - they beat us, twice, which would be categorized as upsets. We did not beat any team with a higher RPI in many years. Hoping the change in personnel next year will bring us a new approach to playing the game.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
First olldflame, its Pat...not Par...I blame autocorrect...

Second, while it was health related, Tennessee had to move on...Coach Summitt handled it the right way though and didn't have to be forced out even though she practically was the face of Tennessee women's basketball.

If we have to move on (as some are of the opinion that we should), then that is what we do. I would not want to be in JB's position at this juncture and I don't think anyone else here would want to be either
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think Coach Green stays, and he probably knows he needs to improve recruiting and style of play.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think Coach Green stays, and he probably knows he needs to improve recruiting and style of play.
I think Coach Green is good for the school and the kids love him. He gets the best talent/recruits in the BSC. He needs to higher his expectations of them and demand more and possibly looking to infuse new approaches by bringing in new assistants to develpop that talent. This group has been together for a long time. It would be nice to bring in new ideas and energy. IMHO
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Its a bit of a...well I wouldnt say poison pill...more of a catch-22 I guess. The stability in staff is a good thing, but because the staff has been so stable over the years the level of expectation has not been raised as the expectations of the fans have changed and the faces have changed around Liberty within the conference...I mean how many coaching changes have there been in Coach Green's tenure at the OTHER schools...quite a few Im guessing
By GoUNCA
Registration Days Posts
Getting a new head coach is among the darkest corners of the speculative arena. It could work out fine. Or you could find your program wandering through the wilderness. Getting rid of a coach with an impeccable record of success also raises red flags for good candidates.

Examples abound. Frank Solich fired from Nebraska is one of the better examples.

Not to discourage you guys from rolling the dice! Go for it! :lol:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Hopefully that is what Sellers proves to be. She has Brown-type credentials coming in. Megan could have gone most anywhere.

Brown was the all-time leading scorer in the history of VA girls basketball (all divisions) when she came to LU. Frazee was offered at Ohio State. Nonetheless, this recruiting class coming in is a big improvement from the one that came in this year. We should be quicker, defend better, handle the ball better and hopefully score more. I can see 2-3 freshmen starting next year along with Leatherwood and the JC transfer sharing the point, Alexander at the two and Sellers at the 3. I don't see how some of the girls on this years team (freshmen) come back, unless a couple incoming redshirt since we would have 18 on the roster. Not sure who will play the 4 or 5. Not sold on Barber, too slow and can't jump, Woods and Reagan just okay - they can give a few minutes a game. Haven't seen Stovall (6'3") play and not sure she had any D1 offers. We should have a slew of 2s and 3s vying for playing time. Definitely we will have a whole new look next year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
UTK did not "move on" from Pat Summitt BJ, nor did she just graciously step asíde because she thought a change was needed. She retired because she has a disabling and degenerative condition and could no longer fulfill the duties of.the job. As for feeling the need to point out a typo. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Election 2022 and 2024

The last 2 elections were decided by very […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]