The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Tennessee had to move on from Pat Summitt and she is the only 1000 game winner in women's basketball history
Didn't she have some kind of MAJOR health issue, like either dementia or cancer?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
She did and I think olldflame addressed that already...early onset Alzheimers...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show I had a very insensitive joke typed out and thought better of it. This is a big deal guys!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The old Chinese proverb comes to mind, "Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it."

The coaching in the BSC is really good for a low-major league. The results this year alone don't show that. But it is a tough league, with parity abounding. One can validly argue whther anyone should be in parity with Liberty, given its resources. But I'd rather not at this juncture.

Carey Green at Liberty is a HOF coach at his school.
Rick Reeves belongs at a much higher level than GWU.
Ronny Fisher at Presby consistently milks every drop of talent to be had from a roster recruited to the middle of nowhere.
The success at UNCA is the product of Brenda Kirkpatrick's deliberate and patient culture philosophy.
Mike McGuire at Radford is a relentless scouter and tactician. Barring crazy injury, Radford would've had a stellar year. Similar case for Winthrop.
Even CSU and Coastal made things interesting for teams all year. So there were no gimme's on the league slate. That more rare than many here may realize when it comes to low-major basketball. I realize the wins OOC weren't there this year for the league, but it's an incredibly well-coached league for its status among its D-I peers.

All of that to say, LU fans should take advantage of the league they get to see in the Vines Center in January and February. And you won't get rid of a coach who found a way to tie for first and was a double-OT away from another NCAA bid on the opponent home floor without a Frazee/Feenstra/Wilkerson/Kisseleva. The expectations are so inordinately high because of such enduring success in the past. The league has gotten better, with significantly better coaching. Things would have to get way worse than a WNIT bid for any change to be warranted.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Also, Pat was forced out after failing to realize she needed to go. Sad ending. And the fall of the program this year is weird. I think Warlick can survive this year, but not two in-a-row like this.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:You won't get rid of a coach who found a way to tie for first and was a double-OT away from another NCAA bid on the opponent home floor without a Frazee/Feenstra/Wilkerson/Kisseleva. The expectations are so inordinately high because of such enduring success in the past. The league has gotten better, with significantly better coaching. Things would have to get way worse than a WNIT bid for any change to be warranted.
Agreed, JK37. And a player like 6'8" Katie Feenstra probably is probably a once-in-a-coach's-lifetime recruit. If Flame Fans measure our success by whether or not we are a Sweet 16 team, you will be sorely disappointed every year. Congrats to Coach Green for making the NIT.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I should clarify I feel that yes: it is mainly given our resources and support that we should not face parity.

Same goes for FCS level football

And soccer

And baseball
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Unfortunately its not that simple shorty...if it were then we probably would be dominating in every sport every year, not just those 4.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
That's the point
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I gathered that...Im saying that at the end of the day expecting us to not face parity because of our resources is not realistic...and Id say that about Alabama, USC, or any other NCAA school if I was one of their fans
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
But because we spend more money the pressure is going to be hire and the fan base is going to expect more which means you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch everytime someone is critical of a program. We spend a crap loads of money and brag about it so in return a lot of us expect results that match with the investment.

Seems like a simple concept to me.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
At the end of the day the games still have to be played, the passes still have to be thrown, the bats need to be swung and that is something we can't "throw money at". We can spend all the money in the world but at the end of the day that's what it comes down to
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, it sounds like each side totally get the other. Yes, LU spends a lot of money on athletics, an amount which is higher relative to the conference, and it therefore expects results. The other side agrees, but recognizes the games still have to be played, an unexpected things happen. We can all agree that a PATTERN of losing does not have a reasonable explanation, and should not be tolerated.

It's a reasonable discussion, but such discussions require reasonable to have them. Since when were all of us message board junkies considered reasonable???
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Honestly, it sounds like each side totally get the other. Yes, LU spends a lot of money on athletics, an amount which is higher relative to the conference, and it therefore expects results. The other side agrees, but recognizes the games still have to be played, an unexpected things happen. We can all agree that a PATTERN of losing does not have a reasonable explanation, and should not be tolerated.

It's a reasonable discussion, but such discussions require reasonable to have them. Since when were all of us message board junkies considered reasonable???
truth...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:At the end of the day the games still have to be played, the passes still have to be thrown, the bats need to be swung and that is something we can't "throw money at". We can spend all the money in the world but at the end of the day that's what it comes down to

Ugh. I get that beej. Thanks for reminding me why I don't try to discuss this with you. It is like talking to a brick wall. I guess if you want to get upset when people expect more from our athletic program that is your deal. It has been your deal for years and we will never see eye to eye.

Oh well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As Coach JK astutely noted, and I agree with, we are basically discussing two different sides of the same coin postie and medic
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
No. We aren't. I am mainly talking about how you jump on anybody who you deem to be too critical. But again it's been that way for years so I'm not sure why I even brought it up. I'll go back to sarcastic posts and stick with that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I do because I think that as much as people are critical of all the different programs,they lose sight of (or choose not to consider) the fact that these issues cannot be attributed to a single factor, particularly the factor that least affects the results, and it frustrates me just as much as seeing us lose games we shouldn't, and reverting to sarcasm isn't going to help that either.

Like coach JK said, when are us keyboard jockeys known for calm reasonable discussion?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We have gone backwards, no matter what a few other schools have done.

Primary cause : We are too Post oriented.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I see the excuse machine is up and running. If the league has caught up with us, that's on the coach. Especially when during this period of losing ground our resources exploded. Yes, after such a long period of low-level conference dominance, we should start to expect progress forward in tournament play. A program moving forward would have seen consistent second round appearances and more than one sweet 16.

Instead, we've moved backwards. Yes, we've won, and we've gone to the tournament some. However, the league has apparently caught up to us. That is regression.

Ding ding ding
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:I see the excuse machine is up and running. If the league has caught up with us, that's on the coach. Especially when during this period of losing ground our resources exploded. Yes, after such a long period of low-level conference dominance, we should start to expect progress forward in tournament play. A program moving forward would have seen consistent second round appearances and more than one sweet 16.

Instead, we've moved backwards. Yes, we've won, and we've gone to the tournament some. However, the league has apparently caught up to us. That is regression.
How fare you!!! :D
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]