The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We barely survive our first round matchu this afternoon ...
LibertyFlames.com wrote:No. 1 Liberty Comes Back To Defeat No. 8 UNC Asheville, 59-51
March 5, 2015| Conway, S.C.| Box Score

After trailing No. 8 seed UNC Asheville by 11 points during the first half of Thursday afternoon's 2015 VisitMyrtleBeach.com Big South Women's Basketball Championship quarterfinal matchup, No. 1 seed Liberty roared back to claim a hard-fought 59-51 victory.

The Bulldogs led 28-17 4:46 before halftime before Liberty's duo of Emily Frazier and first team All-Big South post player Ashley Rininger helped the Lady Flames battle back. Frazier scored eight of her 11 points during the final 4:29 of the first half. Rininger then tallied 10 of her team-high 14 points and grabbed five of her 11 boards after halftime.
Click Here for Full Story
By Kiwon
Chris Lang wrote:Gamer and video from tonight's festivities:

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liber ... a9760.html
Nice piece. I was listening to the post game presser. Coach Green was acting like he was revealing State secrets by letting on that he plays freshmen strategically to get them game minutes. Psst... don't tell anyone.

What did he say, "I gonna to have to send the sniper after you"?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Congrats Lady Flames on another Big South Championship. Lets hope we can make some noise in the tourney this year!!!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Because we don't have the guard play?
I think Beuer and Ellis are dynamic guards that can dish, score and defend. Because of these two Green has gone to playing man to man defense for the first time maybe ever. Ellis is picking a lot of pockets ( and at 5'6" is 3rd on the team in BS) and Beuer can create her own shot with her drives to the hoop or the pull up jumper which is a thing of beauty. These are the two best guards we've had at the same time in recent memory. What we need is more aggressive rebounding and for the bigs to move their feet on D and not get beat and subsequently have to foul quicker bigs, Rinninger and Adams spend a lot of time on the bench in the first halves of games (See BSC Championship). Also, the Bigs need to play better help side D - at 6'4, 6'5" and 6'6" we should have an "Iron Dome" around the basket, and we don't.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
I think Beuer and Ellis are dynamic guards that can dish, score and defend. Because of these two Green has gone to playing man to man defense for the first time maybe ever. Ellis is picking a lot of pockets ( and at 5'6" is 3rd on the team in BS) and Beuer can create her own shot with her drives to the hoop or the pull up jumper which is a thing of beauty. These are the two best guards we've had at the same time in recent memory. What we need is more aggressive rebounding and for the bigs to move their feet on D and not get beat and subsequently have to foul quicker bigs, Rinninger and Adams spend a lot of time on the bench in the first halves of games (See BSC Championship). Also, the Bigs need to play better help side D - at 6'4, 6'5" and 6'6" we should have an "Iron Dome" around the basket, and we don't.
No offense, that's not a high bar. I like Ellis and while our guard play is improved its not nearly good enough to start a 'why not Liberty' campaign
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Based on a cursory glance at the roster, we return 5 guards for 2015-2016 and bring in two guards as freshmen (although Alexander could play forward as well)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Chippy wrote:
No offense, that's not a high bar. I like Ellis and while our guard play is improved its not nearly good enough to start a 'why not Liberty' campaign
Maybe we need a 6'8"' center like we did the first time. When have we ever had high scoring guards? Our best players (offensively) have always been playing the 3, 4 or 5 - Kisseleva, Feenstra, Frazee, Brown. While our current guards aren't All-Americans they are very good, This team will end up with the fewest TOs per game in the Cary Green era. I think you can attribute that to better guard play - Beuer, Ellis and Frazier are doing a good job with that aspect of the ball. The number of assists Ellis has this year is the second highest since the Wilkerson girl in 1998. So my point is they contribute in a variety of ways and not always with 20 point games every night. The bottom line is, even without any premier player, we still are very good but will probably get a 14 -15 seed which will spell doom in the tournament for any team.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We had very good guards in the past. Check your history. The lack of high caliber guard play IMO is what has kept us from reaching 'the next level'
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We had a couple solid to good (even great with the Wilkerson twins) guards in the first half of the dynasty, but really since Allyson and Courtney graduated we have had decent to below average guard production before this year
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:We had a couple solid to good (even great with the Wilkerson twins) guards in the first half of the dynasty, but really since Allyson and Courtney graduated we have had decent to below average guard production before this year
Wilkersons hands down were the best guard tandem . "In the Cary Green era" this tandem of Beuer and Ellis beat Watkins and Fasnacht in every category - points, assists, steals, etc. Fasnacht never averaged more than 6 points a game and Watkins never more than 8 a game. Beuer and Ellis are averaging @ 20 per game combined. That is the best in dare I say "the Cary Green era".

And the fact that this is the first time that we are playing man to man D speaks to the quality of the guards and their quickness which we have always lacked - even Rinninger has shown flashes of defensive aggressiveness in going for steals, etc. Play Basketball
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's why I said before this year. I'm sad that Buer is only a 1 year proposition because she could have been a 4 year star here I think.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]