The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Lady Flames avenge only loss earlier in year 91-71. They are now 22-6 and get little to no love :(
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
The women have never gotten regular-season "love," especially not during Big South play. Interest ramps up in the tournament because the women are expected to roll through the regular season. That's been the case since I've been here, unless the women are playing a high-profile non-conference game.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:The women have never gotten regular-season "love," especially not during Big South play. Interest ramps up in the tournament because the women are expected to roll through the regular season. That's been the case since I've been here, unless the women are playing a high-profile non-conference game.
This. The only time attendance has been high for a conference regular season game is the CFAW it snowed and we were playing High Point for possession of first place.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:There are more reasons for apathy than just the state of the Mens program
Lack of generally entertaining basketball and lack of quality and/or big name opponents at home???
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:There are more reasons for apathy than just the state of the Mens program
Lack of generally entertaining basketball and lack of quality and/or big name opponents at home???
Partially but not entirely.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We played a ranked Auburn in the Vines Center in 2008 and had 739 people in attendance. its not entirely about who we are playing. we could have #2 South Carolina here and if we got 1,000+ I would be shocked
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:We played a ranked Auburn in the Vines Center in 2008 and had 739 people in attendance. its not entirely about who we are playing. we could have #2 South Carolina here and if we got 1,000+ I would be shocked
We would've likely gotten more for JMU, VT or UVA. People want familiar, big names.
VT 2007: 2,757
JMU 2007: 1,469
Richmond 2008: 768 (this was during Christmas Break)
George Mason 2008: 1,075

VCU 2008: 2,074

JMU 2009: 1,209

VCU 2011: 1,204

UVA 2013: 1,178

VCU 2014: 1,083

My point: If you want attendance in 4 figures, you'll need bigger, LOCAL names. It also helps if you have a star player that everyone is excited to see.

Finally, what Jinxy said.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My example was more to ballcoach's apparent point that we get big name power conference teams from out of state (and I know UVa and VT are from a P5 conference) for the "ESPN factor". Your numbers do bear out that over the years, the locals show up for the in-state "big names", but we can only play those teams once a year (twice if the NCAA tournament bears it out).
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]