The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Focusing on our good basketball team, the Lady Flames look to remain undefeated in conference play as they host Presby tonight.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Beat those Ho's seems appropriate. We should run through the Big South with our size and <gasp> athleticism on our wings. We really need some consistent outside shooting to avoid an upset
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Presbyterian plays a very active 1-3-1 similar to John Chaney when he was at Cheney State winning D2 national championships and then brought to Temple making them a perennial powerhouse. This keeps PU in virtually every game with the little talent they have. They have beaten us the last two years but are more prone to lose on the road than at home.

That inconsistency everyone talks about is how we finished 3rd in BSC last year. HPU has the same team as last year and they beat us twice. We return the same team with the addition of Karly Buer. She has made us better at the guard position. I can't remember when a 1 or a 2 lead this team in scoring.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Presbyterian plays a very active 1-3-1 similar to John Chaney when he was at Cheney State winning D2 national championships and then brought to Temple making them a perennial powerhouse. This keeps PU in virtually every game with the little talent they have. They have beaten us the last two years but are more prone to lose on the road than at home.

That inconsistency everyone talks about is how we finished 3rd in BSC last year. HPU has the same team as last year and they beat us twice. We return the same team with the addition of Karly Buer. She has made us better at the guard position. I can't remember when a 1 or a 2 lead this team in scoring.
We beat them on Saturday by I believe 21 you know...if we can keep the turnovers down (which certainly has been an issue as far as consistency goes)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Chippy wrote:Presbyterian plays a very active 1-3-1 similar to John Chaney when he was at Cheney State winning D2 national championships and then brought to Temple making them a perennial powerhouse. This keeps PU in virtually every game with the little talent they have. They have beaten us the last two years but are more prone to lose on the road than at home.

We beat them on Saturday by I believe 21 you know...if we can keep the turnovers down (which certainly has been an issue as far as consistency goes)

Not to quibble but we beat them by 17 :) BECAUSE we have Karly Buer and we can now play a man to man D instead of the passive 2-3 we played last year (and most years) and left Kayla Keys open to light us up. Buer was white on rice in guarding Keys and Rinninger shut down Robertson - that's the difference between this year's team and last year's. We had lost 3 straight times to HPU at the Vines until Saturday. If we can play with that defensive intensity shown on Saturday we should be fine this year. Me, I like the man to man pressure especially when you have height in the post to offer weak side defense. Play Basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I thought Chaney used a 2-3 or to get technical a 1-1-3 defense not a 1-3-1. I'm a HUGE fan of zones but aggressive ones. I like the Man to Man switch because it makes us more aggressive and we have the players to make it work
But still I know a person who was great at teaching Zones and with the length of this team they would be great at it
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I thought Chaney used a 2-3 or to get technical a 1-1-3 defense not a 1-3-1. I'm a HUGE fan of zones but aggressive ones. I like the Man to Man switch because it makes us more aggressive and we have the players to make it work
But still I know a person who was great at teaching Zones and with the length of this team they would be great at it
Your wife?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I thought Chaney used a 2-3 or to get technical a 1-1-3 defense not a 1-3-1. I'm a HUGE fan of zones but aggressive ones. I like the Man to Man switch because it makes us more aggressive and we have the players to make it work
It was definitely a 1-3-1 and worked the same as Belein when he was at WVU before moving to Michigan. An effective 1-3-1 never looks like a 1-3-1 because of the assignments when the ball is on the move. At Cheney State he had a 7 footer in the middle and 2 6'7" -6'8' guys on the wings with a 6'5" guard running the baseline. He recruited players to play that defense at Temple as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Your wife?
The guy sleeping with her
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
It was definitely a 1-3-1 and worked the same as Belein when he was at WVU before moving to Michigan. An effective 1-3-1 never looks like a 1-3-1 because of the assignments when the ball is on the move. At Cheney State he had a 7 footer in the middle and 2 6'7" -6'8' guys on the wings with a 6'5" guard running the baseline. He recruited players to play that defense at Temple as well.
It was a match up zone with a 1-3-1 set. I knew Belein likes the 1-3-1 and had a great run at WVU with it (and of course Pittsnoggle!)
I always enjoyed playing against 1-3-1 zones but that's just me. He did recruit for his defensive philosophy that's for sure.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:You can't play man to man in women's basketball. :)
I actually heard a female analyst calling a women's game refer to it as a "person to person" defense.
By PAFlame
I've wondered if Coach Green has ever considered putting Ashley Rininger at the 2 or 3 for small spurts. She has some of the best handles for a big I have ever seen
By PAFlame
If it isn't already evident, Ronnie Fisher is a great defensive coach but has literally zero innovation or knowledge of offense. They have run the same exact play all but once so far. 16-13, us.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We make a late run to lead 28-21 at the half. As much success as Green has had, his substitutions drive me crazy sometimes. You have possibly the best player in the conference in Rininger, and she only plays 11 minutes in the first half, as did our leading scorer, Karly Buer. The only starter who played more was Simone Brown.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Fisher knows how to stump Liberty. The man knows his stuff, always gives. Coach Green fits.

The substituting probably had to do with low production early on. Those starters weren't getting it done. To your point BJ, I don't like coaches who sub impulsively and only when a player does something wrong. If it can be done with more consistency game-to-game, players can stay more even-keeled while they're on the floor. That said, substituting is the highest form of control a coach can have during a game: who is on the floor. Because most coaching happens before the game, a coach's desire for control can only be gained through deciding who is on themfloor, because what they do on it sometimes is anyone's guess (and that can be equal parts frustrating and scary!).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have noticed some coaches try to control every play on both offense and defense from the bench area. I often wonder how much of their instructions they yell out are actually heard by players on the floor.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Or how much coaching they actually accomplish during practice!! They shouldn't have to coach so much in-game. Adjustments and play calls are one thing, but...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Or how much coaching they actually accomplish during practice!! They shouldn't have to coach so much in-game. Adjustments and play calls are one thing, but...
It's much more fun to stare at the ceiling during games......
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]