The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

3rd straight year and 6th overall. We averaged 15.2 rpg more than our opponents. 2nd place Marquette only 13.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 90&TeamID=

And yet we still couldn't win the BSC, and the main reason is that the huge advantage our rebounding gives us is largely offset by our inability to take care of the basketball. The 2 things are not mutually exclusive. You can do both. IMHO this turnover issue is the achilles heel that keeps Carey Green from really being considered a great coach. A great coach would have fixed this problem years ago.
Since it's evident coach Green does not have a solution to our turnover issues, In a moment of inspiration it occurred to me to find out who might. A quick look at the NCAA statistics reveals who is as good at taking care of the basketball as we are at rebounding it. The answer................. Villanova! The Lady Wildcats averaged only 8.8 turnovers pg last year. That's 3 less than UConn, who was tied with Drexel and Colorado state at 11.8.

Then I looked at the rebounding margin figures to see where Villanova is ranked. Lo and behold, they are nowhere to be seen in the top 50.

Carey Green needs to get in contact with Villanova coach Harry Peretta and arrange for an exchange of expertise. Carey conducts a rebounding clinic at Villanova and Harry does one on ball control at LU. Harry and Carey need to team up and make both of their teams better! Is there any rule against this? If not, it needs to happen.

Who knows, maybe they become fast friends, and someday they could go catch a Cubs game at Wrigley, put on oversized black framed glasses and sing a duet of "Take Me out to the Ball Game" during the 7th inning stretch. 8)
Villanova's offensive system, famous as it is in some circles, is probably unfamiliar to many in this forum. It is a ball-control motion offense organized by a numbering system that coordinates various cuts based on any number of reads made by the players on the floor.

It is decidedly NOT Coach Green's style of offense, so barring a dramatic shift in not only style but the degree of control which Coach Green exerts on his offense - unlikely - the potential lessons to be learned would be greatly marginalized.

That said, turnovers are an issue, so no idea with any potential to be even a fraction of a solution should be considered. So go ahead, give Harry a call.
JK37 wrote:Villanova's offensive system, famous as it is in some circles, is probably unfamiliar to many in this forum. It is a ball-control motion offense organized by a numbering system that coordinates various cuts based on any number of reads made by the players on the floor.

It is decidedly NOT Coach Green's style of offense, so barring a dramatic shift in not only style but the degree of control which Coach Green exerts on his offense - unlikely - the potential lessons to be learned would be greatly marginalized.

That said, turnovers are an issue, so no idea with any potential to be even a fraction of a solution should be considered. So go ahead, give Harry a call.
I was hoping you would read this and comment JK. I get that the systems are very different and it would be unrealistic to expect we could average single didget turnovers like Villanova does, but I'm thinking there may still be principals that coach Paretta teaches which would translate to a range of offensive systems.
olldflame wrote:
JK37 wrote:Villanova's offensive system, famous as it is in some circles, is probably unfamiliar to many in this forum. It is a ball-control motion offense organized by a numbering system that coordinates various cuts based on any number of reads made by the players on the floor.

I was hoping you would read this and comment JK. I get that the systems are very different and it would be unrealistic to expect we could average single didget turnovers like Villanova does, but I'm thinking there may still be principals that coach Paretta teaches which would translate to a range of offensive systems.

You are probably right.

Also, re-reading my post, I meant to say in my last sentence that any idea should be considered. Apologies!

Going back many years, it can be shown that Liberty always struggles when playing against athletic, defensively aggressive and quick guards. Getting not just better handles but also better athleticism on the perimeter could reduce turnovers.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]