The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:How do you force someone to go to a game :dontgetit especially WBB of which I am a fan but realize it is a niche sport.
I agree. It seems there are less and less students over the last few years but the community and the regular supporters are still strong and make up 80% of the fans in attendance - although I did see a 1/2 dozen of the men's team in attendance.

I think we may have the most on campus students and have a perennial winner yet we're 5th in attendance in BSC @ 600. Campbell is getting over 1000 per game. I guess 11,950 had night class Monday night :shock:
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
In fairness Chippy, many students do have Monday night classes, especially freshman.

My schedule is not conducive to going to basketball games this winter. I always like to go but with school and a job in Roanoke it never works out. Also, being a huge commuter school causes those problems too. If you live close, you don't have a big excuse but a lot of our commuters live out near Smith Mountain Lake, Campbell County, and in my case even further than that.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Add to that many of them work as well. if not for the fact that I have no voice right now, Id of been out in Rustburg calling the girls basketball game between Amherst County and Rustburg on the radio
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Proves you are Amhersts good luck charm!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have been atending games regularly for about 7 or 8 years. I have always enjoyed the women's games as much as the men's games. some years I even enjoy the women's games more. I love the atmosphere at LU.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
It's still hard to explain that we have 2X the number of on campus students we did just a few years ago and yet the women's attendance is half (maybe an exaggeration) of what is was then. The same could be said about the boys as well, I think.

Nonetheless, the intensity on the coaches face and their rhetoric to the refs and the players is a welcomed sight. I believe this translates to greater intensity in the play over the last 6 games since blowing the game (at home) to HPU.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Well, it all comes down the the Wins and Losses. The men's team did well last year, and for awhile the energy finally came back. I know we were aided by CFAW, but last year's game against High Point really brought me back to the hope eventually future games would be this way. Unfortunately we know how that's going.

Same with the women's. Although they don't lose much, they're no longer making the splashes needed to grab the student's attention, like beating a ranked team, advancing in the NCAA Tourney, etc.

The fundamental problem comes down to this in my opinion. When you have a student body that comes from all over the country rather than a local area, they never feel much local allegiance to the team.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Well, it all comes down the the Wins and Losses. The men's team did well last year, and for awhile the energy finally came back. I know we were aided by CFAW, but last year's game against High Point really brought me back to the hope eventually future games would be this way. Unfortunately we know how that's going.

Same with the women's. Although they don't lose much, they're no longer making the splashes needed to grab the student's attention, like beating a ranked team, advancing in the NCAA Tourney, etc.

The fundamental problem comes down to this in my opinion. When you have a student body that comes from all over the country rather than a local area, they never feel much local allegiance to the team.
Sorry jbock but those are pretty lame excuses. I went to a D2 school of @5K students and the "gym" which sat @ 3500 was packed for every men's game and half full for women's. "No allegiance" to your school is very sad and I think speaks to today's kids. To say the reason students don't come to cheer on the women is because they haven't advanced in the tourney is pretty lame also. We've done that 1 time ever and have had years when we averaged over 1K. Tell me how Campbell can get 1000+ students to their women's game when they only have 6800 students and only half on campus? I guess they don't have jobs or night class or they have better allegiance, I don't know.If your theory were true then they should have a lot less attending than we do since they also come from all over the country. Personally I think the students . . no you don't want to know what I think. Somehow the administration, athletic Dept and the student body need to figure out how to get the students to have more "allegiance" and support for their teams. Nothing inspires a team, or coach, more than a full "gym". Where are the LUnatics, where are those guys that filled the first 3 rows and stood the whole game taunting the opposition and referees just a couple years ago?

Thanks for letting me vent. I know we're both passionate about our LU teams. Play Basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I know the answer! And have already shared it to those who matter. It is not too difficult but what do I know.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Chippy I live 45 miles away if that makes you feel different :D

Overall I agree, the current attendance is inexcusable.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I know the answer! And have already shared it to those who matter. It is not too difficult but what do I know.
It's Barber's fault! :lol:

All seriousness, I think I know what you mean, and you're right.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Of course I'm right! Why wouldn't I be? :D

But you have a point as well. How could I forget JB's complicity in this!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Tell me how Campbell can get 1000+ students to their women's game when they only have 6800 students and only half on campus?
I think Lynchburg has a few more things to do in town than Buies Creek.
Volleyball Coach

It’s one thing if the coach does not have […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely dismantle[…]

When I finished reading the AI response, I felt l[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/04/26/liberty-un[…]