The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
WEF you wouldn't even reckognize Liberty or Lynchburg anymore. I would say Lynchburg has caught up with Asheville in terms of restaurants and other tourist type stuff. Good rationale though but I am not bying that the big south had a good reason for this. Why put it up for a bid if you are going to give it to who you want to give it to? What kind of sense does that make?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
The only way they will have anywhere near 500 folks at UNC-A is if they are in it AND they are not on break, too. I doubt even the Flames faithful would drive en-masse down there. I can see it now. LU, Coastal, and 250 of their closest friends.

The only good thing out of all of this is having the entire tournament in one place. Those days were nice. Especially when we hosted both at the same week.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote: News flash, the big south doesn't like Liberty.
I know that and alot of us know that definitely.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:WEF you wouldn't even reckognize Liberty or Lynchburg anymore. I would say Lynchburg has caught up with Asheville in terms of restaurants and other tourist type stuff. Good rationale though but I am not bying that the big south had a good reason for this. Why put it up for a bid if you are going to give it to who you want to give it to? What kind of sense does that make?
You bring up good points, and I'm not saying that the league made the right or wrong decision...I've just noticed that they seem to be making a concerted effort to move championships around right now, so now that they had the chance to move it from Lynchburg, it doesn't really surprise me that they did.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Hey WEF, would you mind NOT being the voice of reason when we're all trying to throw hissy-fits around here? thanks :lol: :lol:
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
From the Ashville rag:
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs. ... 30113/1060

UNCA women to host BSC tourney
by Keith Jarrett, KJARRETT@CITIZEN-TIMES.COM
published August 31, 2006 12:15 am

ASHEVILLE — UNC Asheville women’s basketball coach Betsy Blose hopes the home-court advantage will help stop Liberty’s domination of the Big South Conference.

At a news conference Wednesday at the Asheville Chamber of Commerce, the league announced that the Advance Auto Parts BSC Women’s Tournament will be played at the Justice Center, UNCA’s on-campus gym, the next two seasons.
Betsy Blose, women's basketball coach at UNCA, is trying not to get caught up in expectations as the host school for the tournament.

“The Asheville community made a very impressive presentation and won out over some very competitive bids,” said BSC commissioner Kyle Kallander. “It is clear they are extremely excited about hosting the event and will embrace it.”

UNCA athletic director Janet Cone said the financial terms for the 2007 tournament will total a payout of about $20,000 — a payment of about $5,000 to the BSC, and about $15,000 to be spread out among the league’s eight teams and to create a Tournament Legacy Fund to support athletic opportunities for young women in the Asheville area. Cone said the school expects to raise that much money through ticket sales and corporate sponsorships.

“The city of Asheville worked very closely with us on the bid and created a great marketing program that helped us tremendously,” Cone said.

Dates and ticket prices were not announced, but the 2007 tournament is expected to be March 9-11.

The semifinals and finals of the tournament have been at Liberty each of the past four seasons after first-round games were played at the higher seeds. All tournament games will be played at the Justice Center in 2007.

Liberty has won nine straight BSC regular-season titles and 10 consecutive tournament crowns. The Flames haven’t lost a BSC Tournament game since 1996, compiling a current streak of 28 consecutive victories in the tournament.

“I don’t know if playing in Asheville will deter Liberty at all, but we’re very excited for the university and the city to be hosting the tournament,” said Blose, who has posted three straight winning seasons at UNCA.

“I have five seniors on my team that are going to be very motivated to be playing at home.”

The Justice Center hosted the BSC women’s tournament in 1990, and the league’s men’s and women’s tourneys were played at the Asheville Civic Center in 1999 and 2000.

The Bulldogs have never won the tournament, whose winner advances to the NCAA tournament. UNCA has reached the finals twice, losing to Liberty in 1998 and 2005.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I didn't realize that it was only $20,000. That's nothing for an entire conference tournament to come to your area... wow.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Liberty was mentioned 5 times in that article about the move...

Why doesn't Kyle just say we moved the tournament to Asheville because if we kept the current higher seed system, we don't know if it would ever leave Lynchburg :)
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
Lets be honest, either KK belongs in a straight jacket because his perception of reality is watching the matrix everyday or he is getting something back from Asheville......I smell a rat, who is pocketing some $$$$.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
2 questions: Will you be taking call in questions and what' s the number?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Number1inda'hoodG wrote:This Saturday morning B.S. Comish Kyle Kallander will be on This Week In Flames Athletics to talk about the decision to move the tournament as well as some other things with the upcoming season. Show starts at 10am on 90.9FM or www.thelightonline.com.
BS commish is right!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I doubt he will be live in the studio. They will pre-tape it but Nick and Jerod may be open to taking questions from callers. Maybe not on that show though because the hour goes too fast. I filled in a few times last year so I know from experience.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
In the long run, I highly doubt we'll lose the tourney b/c its in Asheville...when was the last time Liberty lost in the Justice Center?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:In the long run, I highly doubt we'll lose the tourney b/c its in Asheville...when was the last time Liberty lost in the Justice Center?
1997. Lost 68-59
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
We are taking calls this week... we had so much to get to last week in week 1 that we didn't have time to take calls... 1-866-890-090... or (434) 582-2909... We will open them up this week on this topic and others as well (i.e football game vs. St.Paul's)
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
It would have made more sense to me if they would have waited till Asheville got the new arena before having it there... the facilities for locker rooms and media will be less than ideal.

If it isn't going to be in Lynchburg... Winthrop, Radford, even High Point would have a better chance of pulling off a good tournament.

Having said that... the Asheville staff is top notch and will do the best with what they have... but I would imagine that the facility and SID staff there probably are not happy to have to host before they have a facility capable of doing it right.

But even with the complaints... I still like the fact that it is in one building. You can watch the whole tournament if you want. There have been a lot of GREAT men's and women's games in the T-ney the last few years that I haven't been able to see because they are spread out in four different gyms (sometimes in four different states.)

Having an actual tournament and not a playoff system will be nice. I wish it would happen on the men's side too. The tournament used to be an "event"... now it is just an extension of the regular season.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I will co-sign all of fsn's remarks about the tournament. Good post. I will have to listen to the games this year because I don't see a trip to Asheville in March. Who knows though.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
I will try to go but that is about 6 months from now.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]