The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I gotta side with FSN and TTF on this one (btw True Flamer, why not register. I like many of your opinions on LU sports), that sort of statement is best left out of a game article...mabe if you get your own sports opinion column before you graduate that sort of statement would fit, but as a reporter you gotta know when to walk the line and shoot straight
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The True Flamer wrote:Atrain your editor is a moron then...you haven't seen any other teams beside LU play I take it.... The league is 10x's better this year FSN nailed it..don't expect many more blowouts...
Actually I did see us play Winthrop and CSU...and I do agree the league is better overall, especially Winthrop (I was extremely impressed with them)-but it did get approved to be left in by the editor, the advisor, Miss. Hartless (the lady in Falwell's office who must read everything before its printed), and the others. I did say they were welcome to take it out if they wanted...but they felt it was fine, and I figured it was funny when I put it in there (the editors also laughed at it too). Basically what it boils down to is this...its a school newspaper, so apparently the rules are allowed to be tweaked occassionally from time to time to let school pride come into play...normally I would not have put anything in there like that, but the opportunity was just too good to resist :twisted:

Besides, other writers this semester have started using big words like "microcosm""swachbuckle" and "septuagent" (probably not spelled correctly, means someone who is in their 70s) I've gotta have something to make my article stand-out, and since my brain isn't big enough to such words correctly into my articles, why not put in a semi-funny, semi-mean, arrogant line?
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
A-Train. I think it's GREAT. Don't let these left-wing "journalists" and "radio personalities" that post on here tear you down. Keep up the good work.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
The True Flamer wrote:Atrain your editor is a moron then...you haven't seen any other teams beside LU play I take it.... The league is 10x's better this year FSN nailed it..don't expect many more blowouts...
why not put in a semi-funny, semi-mean, arrogant line?
The reasons above... editors may not understand the current climate in the conference. So regardless if it got approved, you have to take responsibility for your words and understand that just because to made it through the system doesn't mean it was right to say it. I will say this... if you asked the Coaching staff, they will probably cringe when they see it. I'm not suggesting you get the team's approval for what you write, but I bet they would not agree with it. As an official publication of the University it reflects an official view, whether it should or not it does... could you imagine if the Athletic Website had a statement like that.

I'm just saying it is locker room wall material and quite honestly may reflect the past but doesn't reflect the present state of affairs with our team and conference.

There are a lot of people in the Big South that think the people at LU are arrogant and think they are "better than everyone else." Let's not do things to prove them right.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I would think when it comes to a dynasty of a basketball program ATrain needs grace here...

Everywhere else on the board we come off frustrated b/c our programs need improvement (mainly football and Mbb). Here we see ATrain including a goofy comment tied into his support of our Lady Flames and he's getting fried by the old timers... Was it cute-funny (yes). Was it appropriate (maybe not). Is it true of the current conference (likely not). Either way, he's the author... he stands by his writing... ohh well.

We HAVE been on the top of the league for the last decade. I doubt fans of any other program in our conference would be concerned with coming off as arrogant if they wrote the same thing in their papers... and hold off on the whole "We're a Christian School" because I honestly don't think this is a testimony issue. In fact it may make us seem more "real" with our friends around the conference if they know that the writers in our student paper take as much pride in the program as they do in theirs... It's school pride, it's sports, it's a college guy making a crack at other colleges...

Guys, did you ever make statements in your college that you wouldn't say today? Nuff said.
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote:I would think when it comes to a dynasty of a basketball program ATrain needs grace here...

Everywhere else on the board we come off frustrated b/c our programs need improvement (mainly football and Mbb). Here we see ATrain including a goofy comment tied into his support of our Lady Flames and he's getting fried by the old timers... Was it cute-funny (yes). Was it appropriate (maybe not). Is it true of the current conference (likely not). Either way, he's the author... he stands by his writing... ohh well.

We HAVE been on the top of the league for the last decade. I doubt fans of any other program in our conference would be concerned with coming off as arrogant if they wrote the same thing in their papers... and hold off on the whole "We're a Christian School" because I honestly don't think this is a testimony issue. In fact it may make us seem more "real" with our friends around the conference if they know that the writers in our student paper take as much pride in the program as they do in theirs... It's school pride, it's sports, it's a college guy making a crack at other colleges...

Guys, did you ever make statements in your college that you wouldn't say today? Nuff said.
I'll answer that one... Would I have said something like that in college... maybe... If I did on the air or in the paper in a game story, would someone have called me out on it for being slightly unprofessional...yes. That's how you learn what's right and wrong.

Like I said before, if it was an opinion column or on this board than no big deal. It was just the forum used... if ATrain is hoping to become a professional in that field he needs to learn through his mistakes. We weren't trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just let him know that it might have come across as unprofessional. Handed, The Champion isn't a professional outlet, but it is a training ground and how is anyone going to learn if they are not told when they use poor judgment. That's all... nothing personal.

Chris can probably add more to the newspaper side of things... it just caught me as a poor choice of words. I guess I pay attention to those sort of things more than most b/c I have to deal with students on a daily basis and have had to, on many occasions, tell them why certain things are not appropriate to say on a media outlet. (Especially one that is tied directly to the University.)

I hope it didn't come across as a stoning ... that was not the intention.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
fsn- Your comments are appreciated and are very clear.

I wasn't talking to any one person and in fact I wouldn't have chimed in but for the fact the guy got 4 negative posts about it within 18 hours.

As I said... thanks for the clarification and I'm out of this thread :)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Thank you Tally and A.G. for defending me and I thank everyone for their input...I personally think, considering the fact that the Champion cannot be excessively negative towards LU-anything (i.e. "unexpected win" in Mens BBall like my friend got nailed for today), and since it was supposed to be biased for LU, I don't see it as that big of a deal. Apparently I'm wrong, and thats ok...its not the first mistake I've made, it definitely won't be the last, and when I do make mistakes I hope people like FSN and others will confront me on it.

I also would like to apologize if my putting up a defense for it made it seem like if I wasn't accepting of criticism...that was not the intent, it was more to just give an explanation of why. Now...lets focus on tomorrow night...
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Hey, by all means defend yourself young man- there's nothing wrong w/ going down fighting- be proud!
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]