The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
if our guards make shots whether it be a perimeter shots or mid range shots, that can take some pressure off of the post players. if our post play is the only means of offense then that can be taken away by other teams whether they front our post or double team them. Bounce passes can be easily be picked off especially if they are going to the post players in that fashion.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
ToTheLeft wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:A couple of comments on the comments. (And for fun guess who is coming over later? I will have to hide my puter from BBF!!
Critic - What is wrong with a bounce pass? That is the best pass to make into the post, especially if you are trying to reduce turnovers and/or don't have the athleticism on the wings to lob it into the post. Which we don't have
If we are calling to reduce the number of turnovers, then you probably shouldn't be calling on us to run the ball more. The faster the tempo the more turnovers. Now you can argue if those types of turnover are better than the ones we are committing now, but speeding up the tempo won't necessarily cut down the number of turnovers.
Coach likes to run a half court scheme. Set plays, screens, cuts etc. Its what he does. His systems have ALWAYS relied on a strong and effective post presence, which I think we have. I may be in the minority here but I LOVE our front line.
The biggest problem, IMHO, is team chemistry. That is something that is difficult if not impossible to coach. At some point the players need to take ownership of THEIR team, trust one another and try to make each other better. To me that is on the players. The better chemistry you have the fewer turn overs there are, the more the "go to" gal will emerge, the fewer bad losses and the more good wins.
Even back to my first year at LU with the Frazees, turnovers have been an issue with Carey's teams. Usually we have the talent to overcome them, tho. This year, there is talent, but not to overcome the turnovers.

That's why I don't think it's "team chemistry", because those Frazee teams had a ton of chemistry and still turned the ball over a lot. I think it's just coach's system, it lends itself to turnovers, but also to aggressive rebounding and high percentage shots. When the latter two are done more often than the former, we win. We dominate the paint on most every night, and that's a great place to start, but it also lends itself to turnovers. Passes to the post, ESPECIALLY when that's the only thing your offense does, are easily defended.

Maybe an increased emphasis on the mid-range game? I haven't been able to watch the girls this year, but I would think a mid-range game could help take pressure off the post. My memory of the team is dump passes to the bigs and threes. That works for the Orlando Magic sometimes, just like it works for us sometimes. But when it's defended properly, it's useless. Or if you lose your 3 point threats, it becomes really tough to do. We don't have girls that can wait outside and command a defender to stick tight to them. So everyone on the other team can sag into the paint and help defend. That's why I think some mid-range shots would help, easier to make than 3's, but they have a similar affect, forcing the D to respect something other than Devon and the other guards off the dribble, and passes to the post, which I assume (and may be wrong) is the extent of our offense right now.

I could be wrong, I'm not a coach or anything. Just my thoughts from what I remember of this team from my time at LU.

:clapping

agree with you ttl
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Haize is right...you know the phrase, "dunk for show, shoot for dough?" that pretty much is the norm, especially in the guys game. course not many women dunk for show (except candace Parker and Brittany Greiner and maybe a couple others) but they pretty much shoot for dough at about the same clip. The extension of the three point line was supposed to (I thought) cut down on it but you see teams attempting 3-pointers at almost the same if not a HIGHER rate than before.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
If memory serves me right, Jelena and Rachel are pretty good shooters from just inside the 3-point line. Are they not hitting those shots this year? Are they not taking them? We're not a good 3-point shooting team but our girls can shoot from inside the 3-point line at a decently high level.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I don't doubt Coach Green. I just know his offense is not working for the girls right now so we need to find those answers. Coach Green is a good coach, but I thought 2 weeks off would have been plenty of time enough to get this team back on the right track. We took a major step in the wrong direction Saturday.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:If memory serves me right, Jelena and Rachel are pretty good shooters from just inside the 3-point line. Are they not hitting those shots this year? Are they not taking them? We're not a good 3-point shooting team but our girls can shoot from inside the 3-point line at a decently high level.
They're not taking them. Especially Jelena, but she's more of a post player for us, but she can make 3s easily.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
We just need to be patient - Coach Green will work this out. Heck the guy deserves a few years of rebuilding... We have been spoiled. He will right the ship...
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I agree we all need to be patient. Unfortunately, colleges don't rebuild because they graduate (one would hope) and the team is in flux. But that's every college basketball team. We have the whole team coming back from last year except one player. It's hard to see this as a rebuilding year when you return 4 starters. What needs to be rebuilt is the teams confidence. I go back to an earlier post when I suggested shortening the bench and play the best 8-9 players to put winning first. This would help with confidenc, chemistry and lower the turnover rate. We are in desperate need of a win otherwise this can snowball on the team's mindset and confidence level. Of course I don't make those kind of decisions . . I just post my humble and simple thoughts here for your consumption and feedback.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]