The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Really? I thought it was Brittney Griner who dunked?
That gave her 28 pts.....LU has 26
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
This game reminds me of when we played North Carolina years ago. We couldn't do anything right and lost by at least 40 points.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The money line on Vegas is:
More Points Scored:
Griner (before she is pulled)
LU (before she is pulled)
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
If shooters are "a dime a dozen", I have a dime and will take that offer for the girl's team. Speed also is a major factor with the better players.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:If shooters are "a dime a dozen", I have a dime and will take that offer for the girl's team. Speed also is a major factor with the better players.
Most HS teams, especially the good ones, have a good or great shooter on their team. They may or may not have a great athlete (Speed in your words)

When she subbed out at 7:34 Griner had 35 Lu had 33
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:3 assists and 20 turnovers - YIKES!
4 and 22 at the 4 Min/media
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Before everyone goes nuts, keep in mind this may be the most talented team we have faced since we met Tennessee in the opening round of the NCAA Tourney following our undefeated regular season. They consistently rip most everyone in similar fashion.

Frankly I think we can learn some lessons from Baylor's program. I'm not sure if many of you realize this but they have traditionally been pretty awful. I've covered a slew of their games over the years and they were never in the same stratosphere of most of their peers here in Texas or the Big XII for that matter. Then along came a coach who recognized that recruiting to a Christian school can have its advantages.

I'd love to dive deeper into this but let's just say that UT, Tech & OU's death grip on talent in the Lone Star State (with the exceptions of Tennessee & UConn) was so tight that it was tough for anyone else to compete with the leftovers. But many of the power programs have some reputational issues that raise red flags for Christian prospects. Sensing an opportunity to differentiate her floundering program from the competition, Mulkey began pushing the Christian atmosphere where certain lifestyles would not only be discouraged but prohibited. Combining her intense personality with this tactic led to recruits who wouldn't have probably given BU the time of day suddenly signing with the Bears. SCott Drew followed suit on the mens side with similarly stunning results.

It was our Sweet 16 season with Katie that Baylor finally broke through from an also ran in a major conference to a powerhouse with their NCAA Championship. It has been tougher for us to leverage that success but Coach Green has done a solid job of building some stability. Devon & Avery are evidence of major players who are happy to be Flames and recognize that they don't have to make major sacrifices by attending a Christian school.

The cool thing about womens hoops is that you really only have to sway a few key recruits to make a major move. We got a great start with Elena then Katie then the Frazees ... Devon & Avery have the potential to grow to that level. Our program has the potential to reach that level. Obviously it is tougher to recruit in the Big South than the Big XII. Let's just say that I highly doubt we'll be stuck with that hindrance too much longer.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Good post sly I can not believe people were getting so fired up about the game last night..this is by far the best team we have played in years, even our best teams would've lost by at least 25....

and Sly, don't think for one second that last sentence went unnoticed...is this going to be like the stadium announcement all over again>?? haha...is there something in the works that you know of or it it simply an educated guess with all the reshuffling that is sure to go on very soon?
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
The only things I've so far that concern me are the amount of turnovers and unnecessary fouls they are committing. It's very uncharacteristic of a Carey Green program.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
yes, we are usually in the top half of the BSC in turnovers. What frustrates me is the utter disparity in fastbreak points. I guess that's representative of the quickness and speed of the other team that they can transition downcourt to get easy baskets. I don't know what the official stats are but we lose in "transition points" regularly. Baylor had 20 we had 0. We have to scratch and claw for baskets and other teams convert our turnovers into easy baskets. Granted Baylor is an exceptional team but this happens even in BSC play. The secret for us because we lack quickness of major programs is to really protect the ball. We have to keep turnovers to @ 15 a game. If we can do that we put ourselves in position to beat most teams except for top 10 teams IMHO.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamerbob wrote:The only things I've so far that concern me are the amount of turnovers and unnecessary fouls they are committing. It's very uncharacteristic of a Carey Green program.

I had to chuckle when I read that. The inability to overcome chronic turnover problems has been coach Green's achilles heel since Sarah Wilkerson graduated. I'm convinced that if we ever get it solved it will be an assistant that does it. It seems that Carey's solution is to just try to make up for it by hitting the boards even harder. I honestly think they should consider hiring an assistant coach targeted specifically to teach offensive fundamentals and ball posession.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well, it seems to be working in the Big South. Injuries may have an effect on the chemistry which can affect your TO's. IF you can't practice together it is difficult to know where a player is going to be and to get your timing down. We have had ALOT of injuries over the years.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I agree with oldflame. It may be time to introduce some new coaching blood! It's good to have big girls (we have 3 coming in next year) but we need some super quick and talented ball handlers. And a lot of practice dribbling, passing and catching.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
May I remind all of you that we have a freshman working the point right now. Freshmen makes mistakes ... a lot. But she is athletic and frankly shows a ton of promise.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Frazier's turnover to assist ratio is the best on the team. She's not necessarily the problem. Plus she provides enough offense to earn her keep.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You are right Chippy. In fact, Emily is the only player on the team with a plus assist/turnover ratio. The worst have been our bigs. You don't expect them to have a lot of assists, but the turnovers/minutes played for players like Danika, Avery and Tolu is really bad. Danika averages a turnover every 5 minutes, and she doesn't even touch the ball that much.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. It's concentration, footwork and confidence. It seems, at times, they, "the bigs" lack all 3. This is all on the coaching. Sorry but that's the problem as I see it. They have played College of Charleston and Baylor. One team is a great team. The other is a below average team. In either case we committed a lot of unforced turnovers . . . poor passes, travel (shuffling feet), and an inability to catch the ball in traffic. There are 4 teams in the Big South that have better guard play, especially in terms of protecting the ball, who also have speed and shooting ability. We have become one dimensional and predictable on offense and that allows the defense (other teams) to read the passing lanes and as the guards force the ball into the bigs cause a lot of trouble for us. These are my observations but i trust Coach will work on those things that have been an obstacle to team success thus far. When Devon comes back Danika will be getting less playing time and Jasmine Gardner more, I believe, because she seems to play with more confidence which is growing with each game. Danika had a wide open shot at the top of the key against Layfayette and never once looked at the hoop. That's not a good sign. Just some observations from a fan of the women's team.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]