The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I was getting ready to start this thread. The selections will be announced live tonight at 7pm on ESPN.

Our RPI is in the 80s. We have 2 wins over top 100 RPI teams – G-W and Tulane and 0 bad losses. Based on some of our past seedings we are staring a 14 seed in the eye.
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Yeah... 13 at the highest, don't think there's any way we're a 15. Probably a 14.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
13 is where you start to have a legitimate chance to win in the first round in WBB. I believe that was where we were in our sweet 16 year. Might have been 12.

I say we get a 14. If we had beaten G-W at the Vines it would have been another quality win, and our chances at a 13 would have been better.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
ToTheLeft wrote:Yeah... 13 at the highest, don't think there's any way we're a 15. Probably a 14.
After looking at the teams we're competing with I wouldn't be shocked if we're a 15.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Creme's ESPN bracketology has Liberty as a 13 playing Baylor in Seattle.

Interesting that Reeves made that comment the other day about wanting to see Avery Warley and Brittany Griner play each other ...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Wow. Baylor would be a tough matchup, but it would be huge PR for our program. That game will have a significant audience just from people who are curious to see what the fuss is about Griner. I've seen Baylor a couple of times, and Griner is a huge talent, but I do think Avery could muscle her around (if the refs let her).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Seattle would be a lousy location for the two big Baptist schools to match up. And for the record, I would not want to see them in the first round ... at all.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
On the women's side, seeds 11-16 are more about regional alignment than about quality, meaning a 13 isn't necessarily better than a 14. The women's selection committee wants to do everything it can to put teams as close to home as possible in the early rounds, as well as to create storylines if there can be any had (See LU's undefeated girls facing undefeated UT in mid-90's). Of course, LU's more recent experience shows that it can't always work perfectly for everyone with regard to travel distance.

Its done this way in a concerted effort to grow the sport. Its also why host schools automatically play at home if they are selected, as opposed to the men where that's expressly forbidden. It makes Creme's attempt at predicting region (as well as seed, for that matter) mean far less than, say, Lunardi's with regard to the men.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I remember us being predicted to be 12 matching up against a #5 Penn State in '05. We ended up being a 13 against a #4 Penn State and winning.

I predict that Creme is right about opponent, but Baylor will be a #3 and we'll be a 14.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Creme's ESPN bracketology has Liberty as a 13 playing Baylor in Seattle.
Anybody checking flight prices out of Lynchburg or Dulles? Flame Convert? :wink:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:On the women's side, seeds 11-16 are more about regional alignment than about quality, meaning a 13 isn't necessarily better than a 14. The women's selection committee wants to do everything it can to put teams as close to home as possible in the early rounds, as well as to create storylines if there can be any had (See LU's undefeated girls facing undefeated UT in mid-90's). Of course, LU's more recent experience shows that it can't always work perfectly for everyone with regard to travel distance.

Its done this way in a concerted effort to grow the sport. Its also why host schools automatically play at home if they are selected, as opposed to the men where that's expressly forbidden. It makes Creme's attempt at predicting region (as well as seed, for that matter) mean far less than, say, Lunardi's with regard to the men.

In practice, a 13 is better, and can be MUCH better than a 14 because of the opponent. There is a pretty big dropoff in talent in WBB after the top 10 or so, so often you get a more winnable game with a 13 seed vs. a 4 than a 14 vs. a 3.

Of course right now, by far the biggest talent dropoff in WBB comes between 1 and 2. :roll:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:Creme's ESPN bracketology has Liberty as a 13 playing Baylor in Seattle.
Anybody checking flight prices out of Lynchburg or Dulles? Flame Convert? :wink:
Flying out Friday and back Monday or Tuesday........... $313 on Delta from Raleigh $528 from Lynchburg.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Before yesterday, ESPN had G-W as a 13 playing Kentucky. I think they'll put you guys as a 14 somewhere.

Of course, y'all would have to argue amongst yourselves, but would you rather be a 13 playing all the way in Seattle or in California, or a 14 playing within a day drive of Lynchburg, like Louisville, Cincy, or Tallacrappy?

Of course, I know good and well many of you are sacrificing candles, lighting goats, etc. to be playing in Norfolk, I don't think the committee will be that kind.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
Flying out Friday and back Monday or Tuesday........... $313 on Delta from Raleigh $528 from Lynchburg.
Don't forget AirTran and Southwest both fly out of Raleigh as well. Good luck on that.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
15 seed, but wouldn't be shocked if we were at 16th seed this year. Not that this should take away from another successful year, but we were supposed to be rebuilding this year and just the fact that we won the BSC again - is a huge accomplishment. We just don't have any real quality wins this year - GW is not a quality win, Tulane maybe. Our strength of schedule was very low too.

**Before you say GW was a quality win - just because they won 26 games - their SOS was worse than ours.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I figured that we should get a 14 seed. We didn't beat a ranked opponent but we hung tough with JMU and Virginia. By the way Tulane got a 12 seed and we beat them. They are announcing the brackets right now on ESPN. Have to go now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Youd think one of these years that ESPN would send a camera down here...
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Winnable game. We're not the favorites, but we can win. Good luck, ladies.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]