The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By PaulPierson
Registration Days
I know this might not be old to some of ya'll but way back in the day, around 95 or 96, the girls coach used to have 'practice' in the Schilling Center where we played pick up basketball.

We'd be balling it up when the girls team would walk in looking for some guys to help them practice. The girls were horrible back then and needed to get some street cred in their game. So they practiced against us guys. We used to give it to them pretty good too. Coaches would tell us to treat them like one of the guys. Elbows, trash talking, picks and arguments were the norm. It was a lot of fun. Most of the time we put a hurting on them, but they had their plays and made us look stupid plenty of times. Flori Wilson(?) was on the team back then and we were good friends. I believe she was a senior when she won we won our first Big South Championship and a trip to Old Dominion where we got our butts kicked. But it was awesome to witness one of my friends go from worst to first and see the joy on her face. It was an honor to be on the court with those girls.

It was a lot of fun. Many of us felt like we helped the girls get prepared for the season.

At least thats what we told ourselves!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You're right, its not that old. :?

I'm glad to hear you didn't get schooled because it doesn't matter how good the Lady Flames may be, no guy wants to get beaten by girls. Ever. If you think there's a remote chance it can happen just don't play.

:wink:
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
PP I remember those days....It was Florie Willie btw. I remember doing my first ever radio broadcast back in 95 with a kid named Josh Howell and there were over 50 turnovers in the game! Our girls were bad. Not a point guard among them that could bring the ball up. Then the Twins came in with Elena and it was lightning in a bottle!
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:PP I remember those days....It was Florie Willie btw. I remember doing my first ever radio broadcast back in 95 with a kid named Josh Howell and there were over 50 turnovers in the game! Our girls were bad. Not a point guard among them that could bring the ball up. Then the Twins came in with Elena and it was lightning in a bottle!
It was Josh Howe btw ;-)

Josh and I called a lot of lopsided games, but we also got to do the first championship vs. Greensboro together. Last I heard he was doing TV in Montana.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
TV in Montana...there has to be a joke there somewhere?
By RedDog
Registration Days Posts
He is working for an ABC station in Billings, Montana ... I talked to him about two years ago when we hired a men's basketball coach who used to coach at Iowa State ... I am happy to report he is doing well
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Montana does not suck. I head up there on vacations. I even have friends working at stations in Missoula.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Missoula was by far my favorite small-town stop on the Big Sky circuit. It only rated behind Portland, Ore., as great cities to visit in that league. I miss stopping in at the Depot for a steak and at Stockmen's for a frosty beverage to wash it down afterward.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I could wax on all day long about my favorite haunts in Western Montana. Those who degrade that part of the country clearly have never been there. But I admit I have no interest in living there 12 months a year. But I'd gladly spend my summers there the rest of my life.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Is that somewhere near Ohio? I think thats as far west as I've been , or care to go. (Fly-over country)

I'm KIDDING! JOKE! everyone relax
By Ramlake
Registration Days
Josh Howe is currently in Colorado Springs working for the ABC station. He has upgraded from covering Montana high school rodeo to the Denver Broncos.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
sweet upgrade- thanks RAMLAKE

welcome aboard!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Did my first women's radio with Josh and we also taped a halftime feature on each of our players back then. He is a good guy. I am happy for him. I plan on going out that way to visit MRS. SCAR's family next year. I will have to look him up.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Wow, another LU alum in the business. Cool.
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
Social/Career Networking at its finest....since there are not fraternities at LU, alums have to rely on this type of info exchange to help alum get the job connections.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Is that somewhere near Ohio? I think thats as far west as I've been , or care to go. (Fly-over country)

I'm KIDDING! JOKE! everyone relax
And you give me crap for not wanting to go to the north.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
To get back on topic:
The Lady Flames did get street cred when one Mrs Purple stepped on to the hard wood and scared the bageezers out of em with the pony tail!! SCAR is probably STILL in therapy when the Men's team was SUPPOSED to win the tournament and lost and the ladies were supposed to LOSE and WON. Came back from 25 down, thanks to a GREAT move by her Purpleness, and won the first of about now 37 BSCT!!! Then they played ODU and one of my favorite quotes "Beel, I have never been scared of any players EVER. Then I saw the ODU front line!!!"
There are many an older story with LF as coach but that is WAY old school for the board
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]