The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: March 18th, 2024, 7:22 am
ECC29 wrote: March 17th, 2024, 9:03 am
flamehunter wrote: March 17th, 2024, 8:21 am You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need change but propose absolutely no alternatives. You talk like you just want to get rid of them and replace them with better coaches, but that's not done with the snap of the fingers. And good luck finding as good of cultural fits as either one of them - yes that's as important, or maybe more so, than wins.
Be careful what you wish for.
Basically, what you are saying is you have no faith. I’m not sure if you consider yourself a Christian or Not for me to judge. Are you saying that God stops at Coach Green? That There no Christian coaches left to fill in at LU’s basketball program? This is your view? I am not hating on CG. He is a good man. We are pointing out what is in front of us. 25 years is a long time to coach. Our church had Our pastor of 25 years retired and we were looking and without a pastor for over a year. Some people in the church were losing their faith and worried that we will never find the right pastor. God provide a good pastor this past fall. I promise you God will not stop at CG.
I have plenty of faith despite your judging of me, which you said you didn't do. God provides leadership to carry out his plan in all facets of life.
What you are saying is that God's plan for Liberty basketball depends on people and not God. Where's your faith?

Now, about those candidates to take CG's place. I'm waiting....
I want to begin by saying I am most certainly not among the CG haters. Some of you will know who I am talking about (he's been discussed here before} but there is in fact a remarkable coach out there who would be a great fit at LU and would make a whole lot of sense as our next WBB coach. A legit reservation about Carey hanging around too much longer is the possibility of missing out on the chance to hire him.
flamehunter liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
It’s crazy to me that some people on this board will resort to questioning another person’s faith based on an opinion about any one of LU’s athletics teams. I’ve seen it on several different threads, and to be frank, it’s embarrassingly petty. Be better.

I’ve read this whole thread and understand the points of both sides. I think everyone expects that we should be dominating in all sports just because of what happened with our football program this year. Need I remind you that this was FB’s 5th year of competition at the highest level, but for virtually every other sport, we have essentially played at an ‘FCS’ level still. To expect that we can build to where we need to be in one offseason to win the CUSA in everything is a ridiculous expectation. If in 3 years, we haven’t seen improvement in our ability to compete for titles, then I will agree that it’s likely time to make some changes. However, CG has been a staple of LU because he’s won, or been very competitive at every level we’ve played at. Only one of our starters this year is a Sr. Everyone else is coming back. We also will get Brooke Moore and Pien back. MTSU is losing their best player. Will they still be good? Yes. But, I think we have a really good shot next year to challenge them. I’m willing to be patient another year or two to see how it all plays out.
thepostman, flamehunter, Ill flame and 1 others liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: March 19th, 2024, 9:25 am Who is this mystery man?
Mark Campbell. He is currently WBB coach and Athletic Director at D2 Union University, where he has won almost 700 games in 25 years (he started there young, and is still in his early 50s.) Ashtyn Baker transferred to Union from LU to play her final year for him. He also has been (not sure if he still is) HC of the U16 girls team for USA basketball. Union is a Christian school, and coach Campbell has a great reputation as a man of God as well.
flamehunter liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I suspect Mark will stay at Union. I also predict the next WBB coach will be female, and not a current member of staff.

The Liberty coaching tree in women’s basketball is surprisingly deep. But I’m not sure the head coach would come from the tree. Other staff, maybe.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 19th, 2024, 4:31 pm I suspect Mark will stay at Union. I also predict the next WBB coach will be female, and not a current member of staff.

The Liberty coaching tree in women’s basketball is surprisingly deep. But I’m not sure the head coach would come from the tree. Other staff, maybe.
Are you thinking of someone specific?

Obviously coach Campbell has deep roots at Union, and I didn't mean to imply that if the job at Liberty were offered his accepting it would be a done deal. I found it interesting to see that he has taken on the AD job in addition to coaching. Gotta believe that is at least in part because they couldn't justify paying him what he is worth just for coaching. I feel pretty sure we would offer more for the one job than he is making now for both, and that might be hard to turn down, especially since he would still be able to coach from a Christian perspective and on a bigger platform.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I am not discussing specific.

When I’ve spoken to Mark, I always sensed he was extremely happy where is. More of a “grass is greener where you water” kind of guy. I took the AD move as a segue to semi-retirement in addition to the pay. And yes LU would pay more, for sure. I just do t know that it would matter.

I’m also not convinced he fits all of what LU would want or needs.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: March 19th, 2024, 7:36 pm I am not discussing specific.

When I’ve spoken to Mark, I always sensed he was extremely happy where is. More of a “grass is greener where you water” kind of guy. I took the AD move as a segue to semi-retirement in addition to the pay. And yes LU would pay more, for sure. I just do t know that it would matter.

I’m also not convinced he fits all of what LU would want or needs.
I want to be clear I wasn't asking for a name, just curious as to whether you had someone specific in mind, or it is just a general feel for the direction you think we will go.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]