The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.
By thepostman
#569522
JK37 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
JK37 wrote:Mike McGuire can flat out COACH. Very good staff as a whole. I’d be a little surprised if he was interested in LU. But if he wins Big South this year, his process there is complete, so he’d be ready for a new one. LU has better $$$, better facilities, more staff, etc.

Radford has not surpassed Liberty as a program. A 1-year regression by LU is what we’re seeing. And it could very well turn into more than an anomaly. But LU was in the NCAA Tournament last year. When did Radford last appear?

ASUN is absolutely a better women’s conference than Big South.
I don't view this as a 1 year regression so I guess that is why it appears to me that Radford has surpassed us


Fair enough. What do you view it as?


My view is we have been trending downward for years now and it has finally caught up to Green. We have all of the resources in the world but that doesn't matter. Currently there are many programs better than ours, including Radford and most of the ASun, because we refuse to move on from a coach who is only around because of his sweet 16 run nearly 20 years ago.
By ballcoach15
#569523 I concur. Our talent has slowly declined over the past few years. I have said for years we need a dynamic shooter, who can be a threat to score 20 points every night. It seems we try to win with rebounding, rather than shooting. To win, you must put ball in basket.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#569524
oldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Here’s a question for you:

If I said you had to bet a significant amount of money one way or the other, would you bet that Carey will win an ASun title at some point or will never win an ASun title?


I don't know if your question was for the board or aimed at someone in particular, but my bet would be no as long as Smesko is at FGCU.


It was for the board. I think it's an interesting thought experiment.
User avatar
By BJWilliams
#569552 I'll address both thought experiments:

1) I'm more of Coach JKs mindset that this is merely a regression given how we were (even in down years) a big fish in a small pond in the Big South. Of the 20 NCAA autobids since he took over prior to the move to the ASUN, Liberty won 15 of them. Of the 20 regular season titles, Liberty again won 15. Liberty lost more than 2 conference games only twice (prior to his arrival Liberty Liberty had 5 seasons with more than 2 conference losses). That said...
2) I doubt HCCG wins an ASUN title. This regression this year could be the proverbial "straw that broke.the camel's back". If I'm IM, I basically sit down with him and give him a chance to "retire" and craft the release accordingly because I wouldn't have the patience to wait through another 2-4 years adjusting to a different conference. I think we need to reboot the women's basketball program much like RMK has rebooted the men's program.
By PAFlame
#569666 I truly don’t think they force Green out. They may even let him destroy the program just as he built it. Outside of Baker, does this team have any even borderline Division I quality players that are currently playing and not injured or have transferred?

No reason why with the resources and facilities we have that we should not have a team that can go to the NCAA Tournamenr literally every year (based on the conference we are in). It hasn’t gotten to Dale Layer levels of incompetence, but it will get there if we let this go on for the next few years.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#569667
PAFlame wrote:I truly don’t think they force Green out. They may even let him destroy the program just as he built it. Outside of Baker, does this team have any even borderline Division I quality players that are currently playing and not injured or have transferred?

No reason why with the resources and facilities we have that we should not have a team that can go to the NCAA Tournamenr literally every year (based on the conference we are in). It hasn’t gotten to Dale Layer levels of incompetence, but it will get there if we let this go on for the next few years.


This is the first year in the ASUN. Prior to that he did a pretty good job of getting LU to the Tournament during his tenure
User avatar
By Sly Fox
#569674 There is no question that if Keyen were on the floor we would be having a better season than what we are experiencing now. I respect what Coach Green has done for the university over the years.

On a side note, I think it shows a bit of disrespect to Coach Reeves when we talk about how Coach Green built this program. He did take it to its apex but the foundation had already been built when he took the reins.
By thepostman
#569679 Agreed.

He did a great job sustaining over the years but he certainly didnt build the program.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#569680
Sly Fox wrote:There is no question that if Keyen were on the floor we would be having a better season than what we are experiencing now. I respect what Coach Green has done for the university over the years.

On a side note, I think it shows a bit of disrespect to Coach Reeves when we talk about how Coach Green built this program. He did take it to its apex but the foundation had already been built when he took the reins.


And his smokin hot Assistant
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#569709
ballcoach15 wrote:Speaking of Assistants, it was good to see Monica Wright today.

Ballcoach has a major CRUSH on this girl. :denied
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
#569723
Cider Jim wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Speaking of Assistants, it was good to see Monica Wright today.

Ballcoach has a major CRUSH on this girl. :denied


He should know that her ex was Kevin Durant. Yes the professional basket ball player :D
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#569725 Believe me, he knows! He's been coached up on that from his number 1 source.
By oldflame
#569731
Purple Haize wrote:Is the LU job open?


Ahhhhh, the overt rhetorical question.

There clearly are people who think it should be. Some who think it should have been years ago. We discussed possible replacements for both Layer and Gill for years before a change was announced.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#569733
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Is the LU job open?


Ahhhhh, the overt rhetorical question.

There clearly are people who think it should be. Some who think it should have been years ago. We discussed possible replacements for both Layer and Gill for years before a change was announced.


Haha. Yeah it was. At least with those two there were threads dedicated to possible replacements and discussions that were specific. Here there just seem to be a lot of vagaries
User avatar
By Class of 20Something
#569739
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Is the LU job open?


Ahhhhh, the overt rhetorical question.

There clearly are people who think it should be. Some who think it should have been years ago. We discussed possible replacements for both Layer and Gill for years before a change was announced.


I still have to break the mindset of being ready to move on from Gill.
By JK37
#569744 Class act. And evidence of what can be done when the ball gets rolling at those levels. But if you think the gap is wide in D1 WBB between the have’s and have not’s, you haven’t seen anything until you see D2 and NAIA. Just saying.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#569747
JK37 wrote:Class act. And evidence of what can be done when the ball gets rolling at those levels. But if you think the gap is wide in D1 WBB between the have’s and have not’s, you haven’t seen anything until you see D2 and NAIA. Just saying.


Amen Hallelujah and pass the offering plate.
By rogers3
#569748
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:Class act. And evidence of what can be done when the ball gets rolling at those levels. But if you think the gap is wide in D1 WBB between the have’s and have not’s, you haven’t seen anything until you see D2 and NAIA. Just saying.


Amen Hallelujah and pass the offering plate.


it seems like we are playing at a D2 level right now, so...
User avatar
By Cider Jim
#569750 Our star point guard from Mississippi hurt her ankle Saturday and is out indefinitely. :medic :stretcher
By Chippy
#569759 0-3 start in ASUN with all 3 being blowouts. If it wasn't for us playing great against their cheerleaders in mop up time the losses would be by a greater margin. Jacksonville beat us by 12 but we scored the last 7 points of the game to make it respectable and our closest loss of the 3, outscored Stetson 13-2 in the last 4 minutes and still lost by 18, same with FGCU. Next game is KSU who beat Jacksonville by 20!
By bigsmooth
#570071 with Keyen playing, it is a different season, but with at being said, I think Carey's best years are behind him IMO.
By oldflame
#570341 We just put a whoopin on N Florida 69-53. Maybe the ladies have read this thread and it lit a fire under them. 8)
I hope the men can do as well tonight.

BTW, Bridgett Rettstatt had 15 and 9. Someone here said she is just on the team because her sister was. False. Fact is, her sister was initially a walkon, and not nearly as talented. Bridgett is a very athletic 6'2", and is our leading rebounder and second leading scorer. She has as much upside as anyone we have.
By Chippy
#570343 She, as a sophomore, is at least 10 times better than her sister was as a senior. If she were to stay on the court and out of foul trouble she could easily be a 20 and 10 type of player.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
#570352 So now you guys DON’T want to fire Green?
By JK37
#570417 What have you done for me lately?

You’re never quite as good or as bad as you think you are.
By JK37
#570427
ballcoach15 wrote:Often times a team is as good as "last game played".


I’m not totally sure to what you are referring. But insomuch as I understand you, I could not disagree more.
By ballcoach15
#570431 I am a lot older than you, but I have heard the saying for many years, "you're only as good as your last game played".
By ballcoach15
#570434
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why does it matter that you’re older? He’s more intelligent and more experienced.


More experienced, that is doubtful.
By ballcoach15
#570439
thepostman wrote:I noticed you didnt argue the intelligence part.

:)



I guess we could get Cider Jim to give us an exam on the subject.
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
#570440
ballcoach15 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why does it matter that you’re older? He’s more intelligent and more experienced.


More experienced, that is doubtful.


How many years have you coached Division I college basketball?