The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.
By flameshaw
#544202 Hot seat? BSC Championships are no longer taken for granted, quality of players seems to be down. Like the guy a lot, but one has to wonder if he enjoys turkey hunting and fishing, more than coaching at this time in his life.
Don't expect mediocre results to become the norm at LU, once this cycle of contracts ends.
Last edited by flameshaw on January 9th, 2018, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jbock13
#544205 Been saying this for years. Won’t do any good to say anymore on the subject.
By Class of 20Something
flameshaw wrote:Hot seat? BSC Championships are no longer taken for granted, quality of players seems to be down. Like the guy a lot, but one has to wonder if he enjoys turkey hunting and fishing, more than coaching at this time in his life.
Don'r expect mediocre results to become the norm at LU, once this cycle of contracts ends.

The last line is probably where remaining discussion is. Interested to see how IM deals with this in particular.
By flameshaw
jbock13 wrote:Been saying this for years. Won’t do any good to say anymore on the subject.

Well, there is a new sheriff in town now and we have not improved in some time. Will be interesting to see. BTW, I hope he turns things around and is here for many more years, but thinking, he has to step up big...................... soon.
By rogers3
flameshaw wrote:Hot seat? BSC Championships are no longer taken for granted, quality of players seems to be down. Like the guy a lot, but one has to wonder if he enjoys turkey hunting and fishing, more than coaching at this time in his life.
Don't expect mediocre results to become the norm at LU, once this cycle of contracts ends.

We win tonight by 26 and this is the only thread active. Wow.
By Purple Haize
rogers3 wrote:

We win tonight by 26 and this is the only thread active. Wow.

I honestly think LU has it figured out to get back to winning the Big South
By cruzan_flame13
PAFlame wrote:He’s not going anywhere if he continues to recruit players like Ashtyn Baker.

I like watching Ashtyn play. It will be great to have more players like her on our team. Also, she’s really kind when you speak to her in person. Great player plus good character on/off the court equals Liberty qualifier.
By Cider Jim
#544409 I looked at the WBB website, and I can't find any season statistics, just box scores. Are the season stats for individual players there, and I just can't find them? :dontgetit
By PAFlame
#544410 I have no idea how Ashtyn was not seen/ignored by high major programs. Kind of worrying players like that get passed up for players who wouldnt cut it at a NAIA level, but that also falls on the coach for recruiting the wrong player. Lucky for us, Ashtyn fell right into place.
By Cider Jim
#544425 Walk, thanks for your help! :clapping
By rogers3
ballcoach15 wrote:Women are undefeated in conference play. Men should be also, but we lost 2 games we should have won.

Ahhh...you jinx us again! :wink:

UNCA 48
LU 41
By ballcoach15
#544578 Basketball at LU is offensively challenged > We cannot score. I believe it has to do with offensive schemes. We are just happy passing ball around looking for an inside shot, instead of looking for first open shot. Bring ball down court and look for the shot, then shoot it. and hit the offensive boards, instead of releasing down court soon as shot is in the air.
By Purple Haize
ballcoach15 wrote:Basketball at LU is offensively challenged > We cannot score. I believe it has to do with offensive schemes. We are just happy passing ball around looking for an inside shot, instead of looking for first open shot. Bring ball down court and look for the shot, then shoot it. and hit the offensive boards, instead of releasing down court soon as shot is in the air.

The WBB team is built for the type of offense it plays.

By jinxy
#545120 Quietly. He seems to have pulled the program out of the ditch and back on 1st place in the big south track. Were not crushing people like we used to but its certainly better than the last 2 years.
By JK37
#545137 The BSC is infinitely better than it was during the LU-crushes-everyone days. And LU as we all know came back to the pack.

I believe the addition of a very solid PG has done wonders. Haven’t had a PG this good since Fasnacht. This one may be better, and Fasnacht had WAAAAAY more around her. Different styles, too. Just saying it’s been that long since Coach Green & Co. had a PG like this, and it does wonders on low-DI level.
By Chippy
ballcoach15 wrote:They way we beat HP, makes one wonder how HP was tied for first place.

40% 3 point shooting which is (was) 11th in the country. They missed all 16 yesterday. I imagine they'll make a couple the next time around. They've been without their best player all year due to injury and have a couple girls sidelined the last few games as well.
By jinxy
#546512 Just checked and we are #85 in the RPI compared to the MBB team that is around 220. Congrats to Green for turning this thing around and quickly reclaiming the top basketball program at Liberty. That really quantifies how disappointing the MBB season has been as well.
By flameshaw
#546516 I am a CG fan and hope he stays until he decides he wants to retire. However, we have had some much better teams in the past. I would like to see us get better/show improvement every year. Winning the conference should be a given and an occasional big win would be nice too.
By Chippy
#546562 If we win the regular season championship it will be the first time since 2014-2015. The BSC is not very strong this year except for Radford who will be the team that can take us down in the tournament even while playing the tournament at the Vines.
By JK37
#546587 Radford, UNCA, G-W and Campbell all have enough + coaching to pull off an upset over Flames. LU needs to crush first round opponent to send message.