The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flamefan1 wrote:Has this girl committed?
I don't believe she has. It's still very early for 2017 players to commit. What has been happening with our MBB recruiting is pretty much an anamoly.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Have you watched the videos? I admit that she is much more athletic and skilled than I assumed when I first saw the pics of her pop up in the timeline. Frankly this looks like a surprisingly good pick-up to me.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PG on a state championship team last year as a Junior. Impressive numbers, including 6 steals a game, which says she has some serious quicks. Yes, the video looks good, and for what it's worth, the recruiting services give her 3 stars. I don't know that we have signed any guards we can say that about in my memory.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Plays like a more athletic Emily Frazier. Four knee surgeries took away what quickness Emily had. What Emily did posses was great leadership and exuded confidence . Ashtyn seems to have a lot of those same qualities. She has a good handle, is a decent defender and has an adequate shot - I can see her getting better. If we can recruit a good shooting guard who can play D ( something we have lacked for a long time - Karly Buer is the closest we had to this but she wasn't recruited by LU) to go along with Ashtyn that would be great.
ASHTYN BAKER’S BASKETBALL RESUME – April 20, 2016
Height: 5ft 6in Weight: 125lbs Wingspan: 5ft 8in

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Varsity Career - 1,521 Points, 648 Assists, 550 Rebounds
4 Year Starter – Played 132 Consecutive Games - Career Record 111-21
TSSAA Division II-A Mrs. Basketball State Finalist 2016
Tennessee Sports Writers Division II-A All-State Team 2014 & 2016
TSSAA State Tournament Most Valuable Player 2016
TSSAA State All-Tournament Team 2014 & 2016
TSSAA Division II-A All-Division Award 2014/15/16
TSSAA Division II-A All Region Team 2014/15/16
TSSAA Regional Tournament Most Valuable Player 2014 & 2016
Regional All-Tournament Team Selection 2014/15/16
TSSAA All District Most Valuable Player 2014 & 2016
ESPNW HoopGurlz Nationally Ranked #49 - 2017 Point Guards
Memphis Commercial Appeal’s Pepsi Best of Preps Player of Year Finalist 2016
Memphis Commercial Appeal’s Pepsi Best of Preps 2014/15/16
Northpoint Varsity Point Guard 2013-2016 (8th, 9th, 10th, 11th Grade)

TSSAA Tennessee State Champions, 2016-Division II-A Tournament
TSSAA Tennessee State Runner-Up, 2014-Division II-A Tournament
27 Feb/3-5 Mar, 2014/16 - Lipscomb University - Nashville, Tennessee

TSSAA Tennessee State Final Four, 2013/14/15/16-Division II-A Tournament
28-29 Feb/3-5 Mar, 2013/14/15/16 - Lipscomb University - Nashville, Tennessee

TSSAA Regional Tournament Champions 2014 & 2016
TSSAA Regional Tournament Runner-Up 2013 & 2015
TSSAA Division II-A West Regional Tournament
15-17/22 Feb 2013/14/15/16 Somerville & Millington, Tennessee

AAU 2015 11th Grade (17u) Girls Division I Tennessee State Champions
AAU 2014 11th Grade (17u) Girls Division I Tennessee State Champions
May 2014/15 - AAU State Tournament – Franklin & Gatlinburg, Tennessee
2014-2015 AAU Memphis Elite Point Guard (9th, 10th Grade)

High School Varsity Statistics:

[Northpoint Varsity---2012 (8th)---2013 (9th)---2014 (10th)*----2015 (11th)*---2016 (12th)
Games Played------------ 34 ---------------34------------31------------------- 33
Points per Game-----------4--------------- 14------------12 -------------------16
FG%------------------------- 43---------------62------------64--------------------62
FT%--------------------------52---------------63------------69------------------- 72
3 Point %-------------------- 0---------------10------------- 0--------------------26
Rebounds per Game------2-----------------5------------- 5---------------------5
Assists per Game---------- 4-----------------5-------------4--------------------- 6
Steals per Game----------- 3-----------------6-------------4------------------- --6
Blocks per Game-----------0-------------- 0.5-------------1--------------------0.5
* 2014 - Played sophomore year with broken shooting wrist----- * 2015 - Averaged 26 minutes per game (3 of 4 periods)
click on http://ashtynbaker.com/ watch the state championship game, thats where she absolutely took the game over. if the goal of the lady flames is to get up and down the court and be more athletic, she is perfect. what i and really impressed with is her ability to change speeds, get her defender on her hip and then leave them. she also seems to absorb punishment and be strong after taking the contact. according to Maxpreps her school team has been in the TSSAA (Tennessee) final 4 for the past 4 years, ever since she has been the PG. she started for them in the 8th grade. looks like from their schedule last year they play anyone and everyone, a good mix of private and public schools. They beat the 6A state runner up in arkansas by 25, and played teams in the highest tennesee public school basketball league. this is a great pickup for the flames. she should play early for them. she plays in the same league that high points kayla keys played in and this year in the championship game she played against a UAB signee. another interesting watch is the semi final game. she had to show her ability to perform under pressure in that game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Prospects Nation wrote:Ashtyn Baker In Focus

By Jonathan Hemingway
Asst. Director of Scouting

A brief conversation with point guard Ashtyn Baker will reveal what is most important in her life. The Mississippi native explains that the mission field is where she wants to end up after college.

“I want to help others in the mission field after I graduate college,” Baker said. “Sharing the message of God to others is my ultimate goal in life.”
Click Here for Full Story
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:If I set the over/under at 3.5 for seasons she plays, what would you take?
Judging by the article she wants to be a missionary. So a Sports Missionary seems a logical fit. Easier to do that if you have been on a Collegiate roster for 4 years. Plus, the name Liberty might open some doors there.
However, there are other schools more tied into that sort of thing.
However, I don't think at the D1 level
So I'll take ....... Over
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While I am not sure what Jon was going for with that, I will note that an increasing number of our athletes in general (and especially WBB players) are finishing their undergrad degree in 3 years If she does that, feels she is ready, and has an opportunity on the mission field, I would certainly call that a total success and send her with our blessings and prayers Having said that, another year and she could probably leave better prepared, with a Master's degree and another year of experience and maturity
The article gave off the impression that she has a larger call to the mission field than to play basketball. Basketball is a means to an end to get to do that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if after a few years she shifts her focus to more ministry than basketball, especially if she's not a huge contributor. We've seen that happen quite a bit with football guys who were walk-ons,
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I see it differently. She seems to have a "Basketball Jones" going on and I would imagine she would finish her 4 years playing the sport she loves having great team success and having that as part of her witness and testimony.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Aren't they replacing 9 players this year?
Yes. 5 starters and 4 other girls who had started a lot of games like Candace Leatherwood, Mikayla Sanders, Mikal Johnson and Brooke Alexander. I can see 4 freshmen and the JC PG starting this year. With all the experience and height we had last year, it could be considered a disappointing year. Not sure what this year has for us unless Greene changes tactics and plays VCU type basketball to make up for the lack of experience and height. I'm afraid our first game against Duke could be a bloodbath but Duke's best player transferred to UCONN so who knows.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Aren't they replacing 9 players this year?
Yes. 5 starters and 4 other girls who had started a lot of games like Candace Leatherwood, Mikayla Sanders, Mikal Johnson and Brooke Alexander. I can see 4 freshmen and the JC PG starting this year. With all the experience and height we had last year, it could be considered a disappointing year. Not sure what this year has for us unless Greene changes tactics and plays VCU type basketball to make up for the lack of experience and height. I'm afraid our first game against Duke could be a bloodbath but Duke's best player transferred to UCONN so who knows.

Don't have to be Nostradamus to have predicted this Play Basketball Looks like this recruiting class is an upgrade which means 2-3 girls on this year's roster won't be here next year.
Chippy wrote:I see it differently. She seems to have a "Basketball Jones" going on and I would imagine she would finish her 4 years playing the sport she loves having great team success and having that as part of her witness and testimony.
Chippy you are right, she loves to hoop. Ashtyn Baker just finished her senior high school season with back to back TN State Championships, TN State Tournament MVP awards and the TN Most Outstanding Player in the State (Miss Basketball) for her division (only five players/divisions in entire state.) She led her high school team to five state Final Fours (PG in 8th grade), three State championship games (won 2) with a record of 139-23. She scored just under 2,000 pts, 810 assists, 676 rebounds and 753 steals while only averaging 24 minutes per game her junior and senior year. She had tremendous coaching in both high school and AAU and played in a large number of high pressure playoff and championship games. She was raised in a winning culture that always put team before self and she elevates the players around her. Ashtyn brings exceptional handles and a strong work ethic to Liberty that will hopefully help correct the turnover issues. She will have to adjust to the pace and speed of D1 athletics, but just finishing 6th in the state in both the pentathlon and the 100m, she should close the gap quickly. Video available at her recruiting site, http://www.ashtynbaker.com
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]