If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Monster 35
Scarborough asked me to post on the site. Said you guys needed some additional perspective when discussing this subject. I'm a former LU guy. Went to school in Lynchburg from spring '88 through fall '89 (four semesters). Spent one year sitting out from transfer, dressed varsity one semester, then told Coach Meyer I was leaving prior to '89-'90 season. So in two years I was eligible to play for exactly one semester. Nevertheless I practiced with the team for two years. And every day for two years I had the privilege of guarding Bailey Alston.

I'll never forget my first practice at Liberty. Steve Farquhar asked me if I was a good defensive player. I answered in the affirmative. He said, "Good, you can guard Bailey. He's right there, number 10." I didn't think twice about it. I'd played a lot of ball all throughout the Midwest with a ton of really good players, many of who's names you'd recognize. Over the next two hours Bailey went over, around and through me, at will, and thoroughly embarrassed me. He asked me, during the course of practice, if I'd really intended on remaining at Liberty since I clearly couldn't hack it. This type of mistreatment of my game went on for the remainder of the season. Bailey wasn't the nicest of people, which is part, I think, of what made him so incredibly tough. He was the Alpha male on the court. And we all paled in comparison.

With the Spring semester spent in the weight room and nature finally working to my advantage over the summer (I grew and inch and gained 20 pounds) I thought I would be much more ready for BA (our nickname for Bailey) the following year. I felt quite confident about it actually. I shouldn't have. I was much better than the previous year, but at that time he was only playing with me. This time it was worse. At least for a while.

You might think that I'm just inept. Unathletic. That's not true. I can tell you that I was 6'3" and 200 pounds. A multisport athlete and could do a two handed 360. I was defensive player of the year for two years at my next school after I left Liberty. It wasn't that I was not up to the task. Bailey was just that much better. And it wasn't just me. He embarrassed everyone in practice. We used to run a wing close out drill. It was a 1 on 1 defensive drill. Bailey dunked on everyone. And what is sad is that we knew exactly what he was going to do. Fake left and go right, one dribble and try to hammer on us. People used to count numbers and jump positions in line so they wouldn't get matched up on him. Farquhar, Chaz Richardson and Harden were notorious for this. One time Scar cheated and fouled BA on his dunk attempt on this drill. BA got him the next time and let him know about it.

And it wasn't just our team that he did these type of things to. Bailey was probably the best player on the East Coast. He got 27 on Clemson the week after they pounded UNC by 20 at Chapel Hill. Clemson had Dale Davis and Elden Campbell. Two ALL Star NBA 7 footers. BA danced all around them. Cliff Ellis (Clemson coach) was quoted after the game saying that he'd love to have Bailey. All coaches felt that way.

Maybe I should tell you about his breeding. Do you know who his aunt is? Florence Griffith-Joyner. For you young cats you may know her as Flo-Jo. Women's 100M Olympic Gold Medalist and anchor to the 4X100 Gold Medal team. I think that she's passed now. Tragic heart attack. But she was a blood relative (I believe BA's mom was her sister). Bailey was fast. He routinely ran 100s under 11 seconds in conditioning. A good 10 yards ahead of the rest of us. He was quick. BA had a left to right studder crossover that was his ace in the hole move. When the shot clock ran down he took the ball at the top of key and drove. He used that move. In practice I'd seen it a hundred times, knew it was coming, cheated like crazy to stop it and rarely did so.

Bailey was strong. At 6'3" and 180 pounds he looked like a twig, but he could bench press 300 pounds. He had a vertical reach of nearly 9 feet. In short, he was a physical freak. The type of guy that would insure you had a bad game if you had to guard him.

In two years of playing against the guy I can only remember outplaying him in two or three practices. That's it. I was young and getting better every day, most of it because of him. After searching for his weeknesses for so long I was able to find a couple that I could occasionally use, but usually his speed made up for it. He was just that tough. I look back on it now and I have to laugh. Since BA I've been able to play against a lot of other really good players. My two years of chasing him around and dueling with him made it immensely easier. I think of some of the times when I made him angry. When I would try to play more physically, I outweighed him, or would stupidly talk smack in an attempt to get him riled and off his game. Those were the days when he made it impossible for me to dribble the ball more than once. If it bounced a second time he had it and left me in his wake, then would tell me how pitiful I was.

As nasty as BA was I have to give him some credit. When he finally realized that I wasn't going away, and how much I wanted to be a better player he started coaching me and even playing 1 on 1 with me after practices and at spring pick up games. He had special rules though. He couldn't shoot inside the lane. I never won. Though I wouldn't ever say we were friends we did finally manage to get along and I think he was well intentioned and certianly helpful. Whether or not he knows it, and I doubt he's even thought about it, the fact that he was so phenomenal made anyone around him, who played against him regularly, just that much better. He alone did miracles for me. It's too bad he played at LU at the dawn of it's D1 era. He was the whole show back then. Well, Scar would chip in 3 or 4 here and there. When Tim no longer had to guard BA he came out of his shell. At any rate as good as Hildebrand was, and I saw him play a couple of times, he could do nothing with BA if he had to play him. Trust me on this. The man was unstoppable. But that's no insult. No one could deal with him. I could go on for along time about Bailey. Describe how he played, which was really remarkable, or relive some of the things he did. But I'll stop here.

Now I will check and see if any of decide to stomp on my comments.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
1st- welcome aboard. You were at LU exactly the same time frame as I was- so if I think about this one long enough I'd probably remember you, but thats beside the point.

Great trip down memory lane- I can tell you, as a snot nosed frosh and then soph- those of us casually watching from the stands knew BA was something special, but your inside perspective really brings it home. We could not possibly have understood just how very good he was.

These types of conversations make me wonder what happened to him, and how his life has turned out since the old days.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for coming by Monster. I am a senior here at LU so I never had the privilege to see Bailey play. I wish I would have as he sounds amazing. I don't know if you have seen LB play, but if you have what are your thoughts on how he stacks up to Bailey and Hildo? I love discussions like this, and it is great that we have more than one great player to play here in the short history of our school so this discussion is even worthwhile. Here's to Coach D and company bringing in many more great players here to Liberty!
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the info about Bailey. Sounds like he was a great player.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So, what happened to him? Did he change his name to Vince Carter?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Monster -- Welcome to the site and now go and get registered. We need more guys from our generation on here.

As for Bailey, now Scar & I have more support for what a phenomenal player he really was. I remember during his transfer year (he came from Rutgers) having guys on the team in my classes rave about BA's game. So I slipped into the old Liberty Gym (yeah, I know its Skilling now) and caught a few glimpses of what Monster 35 was describing. We had some athletic cats on the team back then like Fish. But BA was on a whole other level. He would've starred on a Top-25 team. He had that type of game.

I too am curious whatever became of him. But any arguments about the all-time greats of LU begin with Bailey.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
bailey is the best LU player ever period. i saw him at the NC State game in raleigh last year, and he looked like he could still play...just filled out a bit more. i remember seeing him play my senior year of high school at liberty gym, and then my freshamn year, and that guy was just incredible!
By monster35@insightbb.com
You guys don't mess around. I haven't talked to BA since I left. No reason to really. Both Tim Scarborough and Coach Meyer told me that Bailey was invited to the Timberwolves camp. On the very first day he either injured his knee or ankle. Either way it was so bad that camp ended right then for him. As did his basketball career. As far as I know he never gave it another go. I think he moved back to North Carolina where he resides to this day.

Bailey, as good as he was, had one glaring flaw to his game. He was not a great shooter. At best he was probably a 25% 3 point shooter. But the guy didn't need to shoot from more than 15 feet. He could get a shot anytime, from just about anywhere that he wanted. He racked up a ton of points in his one man transition game where he just outran everyone or twisted defenders into knots as he angled to his favorite spots. Another amazing thing about him was his rebounding. I think he led the team and he was only 6'3". He got a lot of putbacks in amongst the big boys. If Bailey had made it through camp I'm certain that he would have had people assigned to his jumper. Lot's of guys have worked it out and become good shooters. Most notably from my era would be Magic Johnson, who was horrid when he first entered the NBA. By the end of his career you couldn't leave him. BA had the ability, he just never had the need or anyone to enforce that he work on it.

I haven't seen LB play or even know who he is so I couldn't say how they would match up. As far as Hildebrand, I have seen him play a few times. Matt is great. Really knows basketball, takes care of tempo, understands the value of possessions, and most importantly knows what a good shot is vs. a bad shot. In my opinion, Bailey would have worked him over. But again, no insult here. He did that to everyone. In the half court, and if BA felt like playing D, Matt would have had a terrible time scoring on him or even get to where he wanted to on the floor. He was a phenomenal on the ball defender and could frustrate anyone's movement off the ball. I wasn't around for the game but I understand that he pretty much handed it to Bimbo Coles at VA Tech. Bimbo was an NBA guard for a decade.

For LUconn's query, no one is Vince Carter but Vince. Nice try though. If you're still on campus you might ask to rummage through some old films. You can watch him make a lot of people look very very bad. See for yourself.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I was just giving you a hard time. Everybody here portrays him as the greatest thing ever so I was just curious as to why he isn't playing now. An injury would certainly explain it.
By Monster 35
Sly Fox-

Actually it might go all the way back to Karl Hess. He's the all time leading scorer and is now a top flight NCAA official. You might even see him ref in the Final Four. Look for him, I see him all the time. Hess was way before me though.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SLY is right- it is and shall ever be LIBERTY GYM.

good times in that place (other than tearing my PCL and MCL on that stupid rubber floor)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have a few really oldtimers come on here and talk about Karl. But comparing NCCAA to Fivision I is apples & oranges. Although I feel confident that Karl could probably still score no matter what the era.

As far as registering, click on the 'Register' button in the red bar just below the fire atop your screen. Then just follow the directions.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Welcome Monster 35 and I hope you get to register soon. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you and Big E get on and stay a while. I will say Bailey would abuse everyone within earshot both physically and verbally and yes it is true that no one stopped him no matter who we played. He was unbelievable. I have to tell you though Monster when I was a senior, Alston couldn't guard me in practice but that was only because we were always on the same team :wink:. You are right about his jumper being a big broken but he didn't need it. He was probably our 5th or 6th best shooter on any of the 3 teams he played on here but he could hit a big shot. If we would have had a big man, we would have won a ton of games. My soph and half my Jr year, no one even tried to guard me when I was in the game and I had my way on offense. When we were seniors I was the point and he was the 2 and we saw more triangle and 2's than a 10th grade geometry student. I had to work 10 times harder to even get the ball and to get a shot. That is what makes Larry Blair great in my opinion. Having played with a defense geared to stop me I know how hard it is. He makes it look easy at times. I am no where near the player Blair is but I gotta believe I can relate a little to a defense geared to stop you and how tough it is.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:...we saw more triangle and 2's than a 10th grade geometry student...
nice one!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Nice to see someone appreciates my wit Medic!
By grm
Registration Days Posts
This is all great, and fun to read. Thanks to all - wit, experience, explanation - all of it.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I dont know who I think is the best....it's one of those deals of how would A-Rod do back in the day....would he blow everyone out the water or would he have just been a little better than the rest.....we'll never know how BA would have done against a D1 schedule....I suspect he could have done some of the things Blair has done, dropping 30 something on Maryland and etc.....but the world will never know
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
He did play a DI schedule ... just only for two seasons instead of three. But your points are well taken.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Bailey would have averaged 30 plus in the Big South. Blair averaged 25 in conference this year. Alston's first season at Liberty we played a mostly division 1 non conference schedule but were still competing in the Mason Dixon conference which was division II. We didn't play with peach baskets fellas. 1987-90 was not that long ago. In some aspects the players were better back then and some not so much. The game has not evolved so much that a player like Alston would not have done the same thing. He is not some Bob Cousy throw back player. Btw, RedDog may be able to verify this but I believe BA averaged about 36 a game vs the Division 1 teams that first season. I am telling you guys there is no comparison. It is not even close.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I hope Blair takes the National scoring title this year so there wont be any more talks of this :lol:
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Blair would have to get to 2500 points for me to change my mind. It is not all about scoring btw. I say Blair is a more complete player in a sense because of his effort on the defensive end esp this season but Bailey could stop anyone as well when he was motivated to play it. He was a pro athlete in a Liberty uniform. Too bad it didn't pan out that he played pro ball. HMO I will just have to pull out some old tape for you so you can see what I mean... You may have to look past the #20 guy too that is tearing it up from time to time as well :wink:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
good to see SCAR avoiding the self promotion here! LOL
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Well Scar knows his limits!!! I'm with ya on the #20 though
By Guest
Larry Blair isn't half the player David Dees is.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I knew both and as good as Dees was for us, if Blair left and Dees stayed, things would have been even MORE embarrassing last season. By the way, why not man up and register
Family Travel Obsession

If you have a rental car in Paris this summer, b[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Looks like the folks in Raleigh are going to make […]

5 plus 7 model

I wouldn't build this up and get your hopes up t[…]

Prayers please

Oh say no more. I'll be praying even harder now […]