If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
There are way too many conversations going on at once here. RD...JB...It's McKay...It's not McKay yet...what about Coop? LCA @ LU...past...vines center condition...$$...Two posts above flameshaw wrote about "Brad"*. Anyway, I'm like...who is Brad? So I finally read through everything and then realize, that's Brad Greenburg, the new coach at Radford...for those as confused as me. I can't wait until they, (that is LU) announce a coach :)

But it's neat to see so many people on here talking so much...and it's not even football season yet!

*Quote by FLAMESHAW on Flamefans.com.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
good Cliff Notes post
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Some of the folks posting sound more like Cliff Clavin...
By grm
Registration Days Posts
I have definitely got to start studying more tv - assuming that was another tv reference.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:I have definitely got to start studying more tv - assuming that was another tv reference.
Yes, but this one is OLD SCHOOL.

Cliffie Clavin = the "Mr. Know-it-all" postman on "Cheers"
Last edited by olldflame on March 23rd, 2007, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
WOW...
...never thought I would be so old that CHEERS would be considered "old school."
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It's all relative I guess. I have never watched "How I met your mother" or whatever the name of the show was they were talking about before. Sports and cable news. I watch "Scrubs" occasionally. That's about it for sitcoms. I think it's safe to say I'm in a different "demographic" than some of the guys around here.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Just to correct grm's timeline, the web story was not posted until 3 p.m. I wasn't even done writing it until 2:40 or so.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Fumblerooskies wrote:Some of the folks posting sound more like Cliff Clavin...
I will continue to take this a little more obscure:

How about:
Mack
P.T. Flea
The Abominable Snowman
Hamm
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Chris, I never question you. I stand corrected on the time.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Also, I have watched Cheers, but not that often - obviously.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
grm...if you are a practicing pastor...then I would certainly think you would be old enough to remember the show.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, and then some. I'll be 62 in October. Maybe I'm too old to remember....
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
LOL...that's pretty funny. grm.

OK...to further muddle this thread run amok...
...could RD be "California dreaming?" The rumor running around the Brookville-Heritage baseball game was that Matt missed the game b/c he is out west looking at a school in Cali. My guess is that wherever his dad goes, Matt will follow as a package deal.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
He's with me now here in California. Of course, Matt is very good, and I don't remember seeing such quickness and jumping abilty in a honkie in all of my days. He can run the point, shoot, has great court sense, and can get to the rim like a crazy man. Also, fine defense and a mind-set to play it.

Randy is now trying to pick up the pieces. Where does Matt go, and is there a good job offer out there for Randy? I don't like to think of RD as an assistant, because he's a pretty strong personality, and I believe that lends itself better to being the head man. There are some people showing interest, but thus far closer to home than here, although I, for one among many, would love to see him on the West Coast. Matt is working out for some schools in the area. Momma must put her stamp on whatever, and I think Matt should play for his Dad.

I have no say in the matter whatsoever, obviously, but that doesn't stop me from putting my two cents in at will (just like on this board), and it doesn't stop me from praying with all of my heart that God will bless him. While he was at other schools after the interim duties at LU, I was one telling him not to give up on LU, that it would be best for LU and best for him. I believed it then, and still think it should have been, but I've accepted it, and now am happily praying in new directions. God is good!
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:While the articles scare me a little bit, if Jeff Barber puts his faith behind McKay then I will too. Barber hasn't made a wrong move yet, so until he does, I trust him completely.

Whoever is chosen deserves to be evaluated on his actual performance once on the job. Having said that, a few things stood out to me in reading all of the articles about him and quotes atrributed to him.

Many have referenced that perhaps UNM was to big for him and that's why he struggled to achieve the success he surely wanted to experience while there. It was mentioned on here that he was attributed with a quote along the lines of wanting to go to a smaller school/situation. I'm curious how that fits in with LU's plans to go big time with 25K in 10-15 years. It was my understanding that Rocco was brought on due to his pedigree of experience and a plan laid out to march toward big time status.

If RM is looking to find a job out of the limelight where he can do his thing in a smaller "off the radar" type of place, I am not exactly sure how his hire bridges the two paradigms: his stated desire as far as atmosphere and LU's stated objective to grow in size similar to what UNM is now and work toward becoming a big time D1 presence in athletics...not casting aspersions, just trying to figure out how those two pieces fit together...
Last edited by PeterParker on March 24th, 2007, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
GRM, can you mention what CA schools Little D is looking into or what west coast schools are looking at him? Are we talking Master's and Biola or schools that are D1?
By grm
Registration Days Posts
They're at a school right now, and I'm wondering how badly my butt is going to get kicked for talking too much.
Obviously, Chuck, Dave, & Art are people who have been close to Randy over the years, and we could assume that they would at least like to have a shot/evaluation at any good player. I'm praying that Randy will get a great job, and that Little D will be playing for Big D. I'd love to see something open up out here.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PeterParker wrote:
SuperJon wrote:While the articles scare me a little bit, if Jeff Barber puts his faith behind McKay then I will too. Barber hasn't made a wrong move yet, so until he does, I trust him completely.

Whoever is chosen deserves to be evaluated on his actual performance once on the job. Having said that, a few things stood out to me in reading all of the articles about him and quotes atrributed to him.

Many have referenced that perhaps UNM was to big for him and that's why he struggled to achieve the success he surely wanted to experience while there. It was mentioned on here that he was attributed with a quote along the lines of wanting to go to a smaller school/situation. I'm curious how that fits in with LU's plans to go big time with 25K in 10-15 years. It was my understanding that Rocco was brought on due to his pedigree of experience and a plan laid out to march toward big time status.

If RM is looking to find a job out of the limelight where he can do his thing in a smaller "off the radar" type of place, I am not exactly sure how his hire bridges the two paradigms: his stated desire as far as atmosphere and LU's stated objective to grow in size similar to what UNM is now and work toward becoming a big time D1 presence in athletics...not casting aspersions, just trying to figure out how those two pieces fit together...
I believe LU exactly fits what McKay said he would be looking for in another job. Regardless of LU's plans for the future, it is a fact that basketball at LU is not even close to being what it is at New Mexico. I'm not referring to the product on the floor necessarily but to the size and rabid nature of the fan base and the high profile within the entire state. Their attendance was down a bit this year, which means they only had about 15,000 or so in the Pit instead of 18,000. we are light years away from that.

I remember a 26 year old Jeff Meyer when he arrived at LU. He wasn't a DI coach back then, but we weren't a D1 program either. He was a perfect fit, grew as a coach as we moved up in competition, and at no time did I think for a moment he was in over his head. That includes the day in March 94 when he walked the sideline across from Dean Smith. Even a great coach and class act like Tubby Smith had to take a step back from the madness at UK, but if Minnesotas program grows to that level, I don't think he'll complain, and I think he'll handle it just fine.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I believe LU exactly fits what McKay said he would be looking for in another job.
I tend to agree with you that LU may be a "perfect fit" for McKay, but perhaps the bigger question to ask is, "Is McKay a perfect fit for LU?"

Sure, hiring a coach with recent mid-major head coaching experience is a plus and will make the national headlines, but Cooper looks like a good hire, as well. Ironically, due to McKay's previous contract, he may actually come to us cheaper than Cooper would, though money may or may not play a factor in the hire.

But as many have said before, I too am putting my faith in JB with this hire: "In Barber we trust." :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It needs to fit both ways. Let's assume, as has been suggested, that Cooper was our first choice based primarily on basketball criteria. He was made an offer which JB considered to be fair for a coach with high-major experience as an assistant, but for whom this would be his first head coaching job at any level, and keep in mind it is in the BIG SOUTH. He turned it down.

I have absolutely no problem with that. It's called negotiation, trying to get the best deal you can.

Now fast-forward a day or 2. Cooper is still the first choice, and JB looks at the budget, looks at the Big South environment, and maybe, just maybe, makes a call to the mansion. He ups the ante and comes back to Cooper with an offer which he feels is the most generous we can make for our situation, and a person of his qualifications. He makes it clear that this is our best and final offer. Cooper says sorry, but I would need another $50,000/year. At this point, if I am the AD, my response is "DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE AXE ON YOUR WAY OUT!"

You see the issue then would not be "can we afford to pay more". I think we all know that if the right people want a certain person hired, we could grossly overpay to get him. The issue would be "why do we want to hire someone who obviously doesn't want to be here, and will only take the job if we overpay him?"

I think at this point, if you have another qualified candidate who is your second choice and is excited about being the coach at LU, you offer him the job. We don't need to be trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Obviously I don't know if what I described is what went down, but was giving a scenario to illustrate that IMHO it is important that LU be a fit for the newcoach as well as him being well qualified, capable, and a fit for us.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]