If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

OK, Going to go out n a limb here, so watch out. But follow along here. I

It is my humble opinion that bad coaching cost the '06 - '07 Flames a slew of games. So, bearing that in mind it is my opinion that just about any stiff could come in and have a much better record next year (Winning record overall, Winning record and top 2 finish in BS). It stands to reason (as it did in Football) that an infusion of a new attitude and a new philosophy will make a big difference. It seemed to me that many of the players just didn't care late in the year. I think the talent is not too bad, and a new coach could inspire most if not all to play above their heads.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want just any stiff, but at this point anyone but Ol' Mel would be an improvement.

I still vote for either the WVU assistant or Mr. Cooper!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Your assumption is that the current roster will remain intact. We'll have to wait and see what transpires after the new coach settles in.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
There are a lot of wrong things in your post. none moreso than
It seemed to me that many of the players just didn't care late in the year.
but most of the other stuff is too.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:There are a lot of wrong things in your post. none moreso than
It seemed to me that many of the players just didn't care late in the year.
but most of the other stuff is too.
Gee sorry! I said it was a theory!
By buckets
Registration Days
Any short comings that RD may have had, it can't be said that his kids quit. That may have to do with factors not related to Rd... ie A.S. but the fact is that LU competed especially well under the circumstances and especially late.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I would vote for McKay (the guy from New Mexico) to be our next coach. He is still young and coached at New Mexico and had a descent record playing against much better competition than we did. Not sure why he was fired but maybe there expections were too high. I can see him winning right away if we have the talent in place and could coach them the right way. It seems like we have some good talent in place, we just need to tweek a few things here and there and get everyone on the same page and get connected to the students and the local community. If we can afford him, and based on what I have been hearing it shouldn't be an issue then go for someone with his credentials.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
McKay??? Read the guys bio. He has failed everywhere.

Good name Knucklehead - it fits:)
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:McKay??? Read the guys bio. He has failed everywhere.

Good name Knucklehead - it fits:)
I agree McKay would be a mistake!

Yes the name does fit.

OK throw out the part about the players quitting, I still stand by any coach would be an improvement! :!:
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
He had a winning record at New Mexico. Not sure what he did elsewhere but one of the teams he coached (Oregon State) is in the PAC Ten. You think he would succeed at LU dropping down in competition. You would think just by getting hired as the head coach of New Mexico would require significant credentials. Oh well I guess we will find out in the next few weeks.
By buckets
Registration Days
Your assumption that Mckay would have success simply by dropping down a level is a strecth. I am sure there are MANY coaches who would argue that opportunity for success is an important piece to any successfull program. McKay has definantly been involved in programs were the opportunity for success was afforded him. With that in mind he certainly hasn't over achieved Your implication that a coach in the Pac 10, SEC, Mountain West etc... is better than someone in the Big South simply because of level may be a slight to the Greg Marshall's of the world.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:Not sure what he did elsewhere but one of the teams he coached (Oregon State) is in the PAC Ten. You think he would succeed at LU dropping down in competition. You would think just by getting hired as the head coach of New Mexico would require significant credentials.
HANKY!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
... not so sure why we're talking McKay up so much, but in fairness to the man his head coaching gigs do quailfy are impressive to say the least: New Mexico, Oregon, Colorodo State, as opposed to Hank's uninteresting head coaching stints: The Master's College and Sam-ford.
By NJLibertyboy
Registration Days Posts
Two words: RICK DUCKETT!!!
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
ROB LANIER
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Avery Johnson!

I just had to say that because if we could literally have ANYONE, I think he would be the PERFECT coach for LU. Conceding that Avery is happy with his current gig coaching the best team in the NBA, I'll go with:

Cameron Dollar!!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
RICKY BOBBY !
By NJLibertyboy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed old flame... about Avery anyway.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:RICKY BOBBY !
HELP ME TOM CRUISE!!!

Thats it...TOM CRUISE!!!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
NJLibertyboy wrote:Agreed old flame... about Avery anyway.
Never happen of course, but Avery is THE MAN. A dynamic person with an equally dynamic and very public faith, impeccible credentials, incredibly likable and universally respected at the highest levels. Unfortunatly, it would take nothing short of an epiphony to get him here.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am sure Avery would leave an NBA job....for small Division 1 school in a pretty bad conference...I mean why wouldn't he!???? :)
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]