If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I cant give his name out but he is a Guard in the Virginia Beach area and Indiana and Purdue were there at his game watching him along with our staff...They've been on him for quite some time now and it's paid off with a Verbal Commitment, Purdue has visited this same kid twice and as mentioned before, Indiana...As most of you are aware you cannot sign until April, but Verbals generally lead to signatures on signing day
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
HMO w/ the scoop. (I bet ya LANG knew already! :wink: ) nice job
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
You're allowed to announce verbals aren't you? If not, you already know which counts so might as well just tell us. You're not official anyway.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Schools are not allowed to say anything officially about verbal commitments until a letter of intent is signed.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
ok, so either there's a violation or HMO knows unoficially so he can tell us. people find out about verbals all the time. tell us!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As long as the school isn't officially releasing the info (or the coaching staff commenting publicly) it is all cool. With so many websites & recruiting services it is virtually impossible for DI verbal commits to stay hidden for any period of time. Usually the player & HS coach are telling everybody.

If someone on campus who is not a member of the hoops staff finds out something, it is perfectly OK to get word out. Just as long as the school isn't offically sanctioning the process.

That's why sites like this are cool for fans to get the lowdown that can't be on the official site until the spring signing period.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think that's directed at you HMO :wink:
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Only two players from VB posted at Scout.com and neither is a SG.. hmm..
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Doesn't scout just do the top 100 for anybody who's not a high-major?
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I believe they do all the recruits, our past recruits have been on there, if I remember correctly.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Scout and the other services generally have whatever info their affiliate sites put into the database. If a player is a latebloomer his senior season then often he won't be in the databases.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Honestly I forgot his last name, but his first name is B.J. and the only one that made sense on Scout.com was B.J. Jenkins but he's 6'5" so, I dunno, I'll check tomorrow after the game.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
If it is B.J. Jenkins, it will be a solid get for Coach.

I'm a little iffy on Green Run as it's been the worst HS in VB for years. I was held up at gun-point several times as I used to work around that area. B.J. was just a freshman when I was a senior, so never got to play against him.

Interesting to see how it unfolds..
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
BJ Jenkins is listed as 6' 0" several places. I'm guessing that's accurate.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
It is against NCAA rules for the school to make public comments about any high school recruit until the national letter of intent is in the hands of the athletic department.

That said, you can contact the kid yourself if you're a reporter and if he says he's committed, then you can run with it, because it came from him.

Sadly, verbals and recruiting commitments are the sort of things most newspapers concede to the internet and recruiting services like Scout and Rivals, mostly because we don't have the manpower to stay on these kids all the time. At Scout and Rivals, all they do is hound kids about commitments.

Generally, when papers get commits, it's usually the hometown paper that covers the kid's high school. That's why the Ricky Jackson news came out of Canton first. They're obviously more on top of that particular kid than we are because they see him all the time.

Verbals don't always pan out. See Jackson, Ricky.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
is this the guy SLY has been referring to?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Yes, BJ Jenkins verballed to us several weeks back. The other guys are theones I can find who have yet to commit anywhere who list LU among their possibilities. Clearly some of them are no longer possibilities for LU. But deciding which ones is the challenge since we dont know yet how many scholarships will bne freed up for the fall.
LU Campus Construction Thread

https://www.liberty.edu/news/2024/05/01/new-cham[…]

Virginia Tech

We had 9 LOB

Volleyball Coach

Greg Mosely is a LU alum and is currently the coac[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

If ACC is left with 3 or 4 or completely dismantle[…]