If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
we're all dorks and geeks together.

So true, so true.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
New Guy Here and I think it's Brown from WVW! That's why next week for the hire. The Richmond ties and the close proximity now bodes well for recruiting!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If we made that hire, it would be very strange considering how the process has gone. He must've totally blown Barber away in the interview for this to be considered.

The last time we hired a WVU assistant it wasn't exactly an overwhelming success. I'll be interested to see what the final choice turns out to be.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:New Guy Here and I think it's Brown from WVW! That's why next week for the hire. The Richmond ties and the close proximity now bodes well for recruiting!

You may be right, and you could certainly pick a worse mentor than Beilein, but as far as recruiting is concerned, LU is a bit unusual for a mid-major in that historically we have essentially recruited nation-wide. Look at the current roster:

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 1&TeamID=6

As many players (2) from TX, PA, or GA as from VA.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: The last time we hired a WVU assistant it wasn't exactly an overwhelming success.

Did you have to remind us? :guntohead :banghead
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
WWJFD wrote:I just saw an limo pull in... it is mckay

At virtually the same moment a slick-haired man from Rock Hill lands in Lobo-Land with his agent to discuss contract terms for the vacancy left by McKay.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I know it sounds loco to some on this board, but I could definitely see GM in Albucracky. That is a very attractive job.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:That is a very attractive job.
Attractive enough to stay longer than 6 hours? 8)
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Apparently, they are prepared to pay him 750K. He may very well be headed there.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
Why do schools even offer coaches contracts longer than one year anymore. How many times over the last few years has GM been courted by schools, only to have Winthrop extend his contract for another 74 years,pay him more money, just so the next year he can go out and search out another job?
If I am Winthrop, I am almost to the point where I say, move on, so we can move on and develop some stability from year to year without having to negotiate again.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
This is the year for Marshall to make his move. He'll never be hotter at WU than he is right now, and he knows it.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I throw my considerable weight behind Cameron Dollar, hard to go wrong with a UCLA man. Washington has made some great strides lately. I THINK Lorenzo Romar is the HC there, he was an assiatant on that Championship team and a top shelf christian guy. He was my pick the last time we had an opening, but obviously that didn't happen and probably was a reach at the time anyway. When I get off work, I will see if I can confirm some of this info, unless someone else cares to in the meantime.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I throw my considerable weight behind Cameron Dollar, hard to go wrong with a UCLA man. Washington has made some great strides lately. I THINK Lorenzo Romar is the HC there, he was an assiatant on that Championship team and a top shelf christian guy. He was my pick the last time we had an opening, but obviously that didn't happen and probably was a reach at the time anyway. When I get off work, I will see if I can confirm some of this info, unless someone else cares to in the meantime.
I'm a big Romar fan. I'd imagine one of his assistants would be gold.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well if we can get Cameron Dollar here that might have the Rocco-esque sort of effect JB is looking for among the students (although most of the freshmen were still in elementary school when UCLA won their last national basketball title)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Apparently we think alike flameshaw. (I posted the same link on page 1 of this thread.)

At the risk of "dissing" some other well qualified candidates, it wasn't until I saw his name in Chris' article and did a little follow up research that I got really excited about this hire. If he fits the bill as far as his beliefs are concerned (and the Romar connection would seem to indicate that) I think he may be just what we need. Being an assistant at a PAC 10 program and with his resume, I think if he is serious about wanting to come here it would be a good sign. There is no doubt he will be getting D1 head coaching offers sooner rather than later.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Hiring Dollar would make sense.

Hiring Dollar would make cents.

Which one would've been the better pun?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Hiring Dollar would make sense.

Hiring Dollar would make cents.
Which one would've been the better pun?
they're both on the money.

Think of all the cliche's
N&A headline when he signs a lucrative contract:
LU Understands Value of Dollar

When we win Big South:
Dollar Duz It

And of course the line item in the budget for his salary would be the Dollar Bill
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Dollar? Are you guys serious? Don't look at star value - look for coaching experience. He played, big deal, so did Cooper - He's got my vote.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
FYI...I saw Dr. Falwell eating dinner at Shakers today. Then I thought about the coaching search. So I went to the restroom so I could pass the table to see if JB or a potential coach was there. It turns out he was eating with his family - Jonathan and the gang.

I did not hide in the bushes or anything, haha!
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Dollar? Are you guys serious? Don't look at star value - look for coaching experience. He played, big deal, so did Cooper - He's got my vote.
For me its not the fact that he played that I solely like. He has done very well as an assistant and I think with his youth that could help him to connect with the student body as well.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
BJ-go stake out Hancock for us, even if it means missing convo tomorrow to do it. We'll take up a collection on FF for the $10 the reps will bring, and it'll be worth it.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
WWJFD wrote:I just saw an limo pull in... it is mckay
You sure about that?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You need to read Dollar's bio proto. He has 8 years as an assistant under a very highly regarded coach, Lorenzo Romar, for successful teams at Washington, and before that at St. Louis. Add to that being a coaches son and a point guard gives you a head start in understanding how to run a team. I'd be OK with Cooper if he is the choice, but IMHO Dollar should be seriously considered. He is several years younger and has comparable experience at a higher level. Obviously the SEC is a tough conference, but South Carolina and Auburn haven't exactly been tearing it up.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks ATrain...I may take you up on that. Id like to see what is up at this point. I have a class that gets out at 9:40 so we shall see
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]