If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
I really think that LU should give a serious look at this guy. He's a top-notch recruiter (having brought in the number one HS prospect once when he was at Seton Hall) and is a great coach. He's been playing behind the 8-ball because of sanctions levied against Michigan, but still. I think that before we start getting excited over some 50-year-old assistant coach at a WAC school, we should at least give Amaker a phone call.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Great player... not so good as a coach.

I'd rather have the 50 year old assistant with better coaching skills.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Would Amaker fit in to LU's philosophies? It would be nice to get him but is it realistic considering where he has been and what kind of salary is he demanding.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:Would Amaker fit in to LU's philosophies? It would be nice to get him but is it realistic considering where he has been and what kind of salary is he demanding.
An important question of course.

As far as salary demands are concerned, that could depend a lot on his current contract situation, and whether he is still being paid by Michigan and for how long. Obviously LU wouldn't be able to match what he made there, but it's unlikely anyone else will be offering him those bucks either. If someone with his pedigree were to consider a place like LU, I would think it would be because he wanted to go in a different direction, and that would IMHO be a good thing. Otherwise, well, thereis likely to be an opening soon in Rock Hill. :wink:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The only way he'd come to LU would be in a Buzz Peterson type situation meaning that he got bought out for a good amount of money (1 million +) and none of the big boys would hire him. We'd have to wait at least another month to even see if he would fall to our level, and I don't see us waiting a month for a coach.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote: I don't see us waiting a month for a coach.
No, and we shouldn't
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Otherwise, well, thereis likely to be an opening soon in Rock Hill. :wink:
(Hijack alert)!!!

There is NO WAY that, after last year's fiasco with Gregg Marshall bolting and then returning to Rock Hill, that he'll be on the market again so soon.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
:offtopic
I just had this image in my head of Marshall leaving for an SEC, ACC, or Big Ten job and RD becoming the new Winthrop coach.
:offtopic
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop is smarter than that, never happen. I do hope Marshall gets a promotion to another conference though.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ed,

Apart from diehard wishfull-thinking Winthrop fans. you're one of the few I know who think that way. After making a sentimental initial decision to go to Charleston, where he had worked under his mentor Charlie Cress and helped to blaze the trail for mid-major programs challenging the bigs, Marshall wised up, used his head and went back to Winthrop. C of C would have been a bad career move for him. He is likely to get a much better offer now.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Flameshaw, if Marshall left Winthrop, I bet their AD would do cartwheels to get RD to head their program. :P
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Flameshaw, if Marshall left Winthrop, I bet their AD would do cartwheels to get RD to head their program. :P
RD would be no better than a distant second choice among the former LU coaches who might be considered for that job if Marshall leaves.

Edited to add: Sorry, I was a bit slow on the uptake with your humor, but the statment above still applies. :)
Last edited by olldflame on March 18th, 2007, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Ed,

Marshall wised up, used his head and went back to Winthrop.
:roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Marshall leaving Winthrop is a done deal.

Randy Peale will take over and he will keep that program near the top of the Big South.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:Marshall leaving Winthrop is a done deal.

Randy Peale will take over and he will keep that program near the top of the Big South.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:Marshall leaving Winthrop is a done deal.

Yeah, right...
...just like the job he did once he got all his own players at UNCG.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Hey, I'm sure it's possible that they could bring in a bigger name, but if that doesn't happen then it will probally be handed over to RP.

RP's a good coach for this conference. Winthrop can't be entirely written off once Marshall leaves.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Rell Porter is forgoing his senior season to coach at Winthrop? Who knew?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Easy now, Foomble might not understand.

He might go off on ya and call ya a bad name and then say that he didn't mean it :lol:
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:I really think that LU should give a serious look at this guy. He's a top-notch recruiter (having brought in the number one HS prospect once when he was at Seton Hall) and is a great coach. He's been playing behind the 8-ball because of sanctions levied against Michigan, but still. I think that before we start getting excited over some 50-year-old assistant coach at a WAC school, we should at least give Amaker a phone call.

Good point about the sanctions. I had forgotten about that.
By belcherboy
Registration Days Posts
Sanctions didn't hurt this guy as much as everyone makes it out. I live up here in Michigan, followed and attended several games in Ann Arbor. He was just a bad coach when it came to developing talent and creating a good team (his in-game coaching was poor IMO as well). He had some pretty good players recruited from high school, but they pretty much fizzeled in college. Liberty would definitely be better with him, but IMO we need a coach that can develop players into a strong team. I don't know if Amaker can do it. He had some success when at Seton Hall so I don't want to say he can't do it, but the past 6 years at Michigan have proven disasterous, as he NEVER made the NCAA tourney. IMO he had at least 2 teams in those years that should have been in the dance.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]