If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Cider Jim wrote:Anyone ever hear of OJ Mayo? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.J._Mayo

He started out in a Christian Academy, transferred to Huntington High School (WV), won the AAA state title, and signed with USC. That's a kid we would have loved to have here. He's one of the best guards in the country coming out of high school.
"Not so fast my friend" (Gotta love Lee Corso)
OJ Mayo is indeed a terrific talent (saw him play on ESPN earlier this year) but:

1) Don't mistake the fact that he went to a christian school for a year or 2 as an indication he is "Liberty material"

2) He has made it clear he will be "1 and done" at USC and then on to the NBA. They didn't even recruit him. he just decided he wanted to go there because it's in LA.

Edited to add the following from Wikopedia:

In January 2007, Mayo allegedly assaulted referee, Mike Lazo, after being ejected from a Huntington High game vs. Captial High School at the Charleston Civic Center.[6] According to West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission rules, Mayo was suspended for two games. However due to allegations supported by video evidence that Lazo had overreacted and faked the incident, a temporary restraining order was signed by Cabell County, West Virginia Circut Court Judge Dan O'Hanlan, temporarily lifting the suspensions on Mayo and five other players suspended due to incidents at that game.[7] However, shortly after, the restraining order was nullified and Mayo was suspended for 3 games, a punishment that Mayo described as "fair."[8]

On March 9th, 2007, Mayo and 3 other men were cited by the Cabell county Sheriff's Dept. for misdemeanor simple possession of marijuana. Officers found the cannabis in a car in which Mayo was a passenger and, since no one claimed possession, all occupants were ticketed.[9] Charges against Mayo were dropped on March 12, 2007 after one of the other passengers in the vehicle took responsibility for the marijuana. [10]

I'm not so sure we want that right now, even if the athelete is a good fit. IMHO we need continuity. Even with a transfer like TJ, at least he had a year to practice with his teammates before he plays his 1 year at LU.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Since when was Liberty on the same recruiting level as USC?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
North College Hill is the high school in Cincinnati where he was declared ineligible that forced him to transfer to his home town of Huntington. And OJ seriously considered declaring for the draft as a junior to try and avoid having to spend a year in college.

He was supposed to be next Lebron. But he has fizzled the past year since moving home to Wild & Wonderful WV.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
A lot of kids go to Christian academies who are nowhere near Liberty material. Just because they go to the school doesn't mean they live the life.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think it would also be accurate to say that a lot of kids end up going to Liberty are not "Liberty material", but that doesn't mean our coaches should be actively seeking them out to represent the school as part of a high profile activity because they have the ability to play a sport well.
By pbow
Registration Days Posts
OJ is not even close to being on the same level as most LU recruits. He's at the top of this year's 5 star recruits. He's definitly gonna be one and done at USC, and I expect him to have a very good NBA career. I've met him a couple of times because I have a couple of friends that plays basketball at Huntington High School, and OJ really is a nice guy. Mike Lazo, the referee who started the big pushing fiasco with OJ, is a complete joke...he's one of the worst referees you will ever see. He refereed quite a few games of mine in high school, and we did not get along well at all. Back onto OJ, the only reason he went to Rose Hill Christian was because at Christian schools your eligible to play varsity basketball at a much younger age. He is most definitly not an LU type of recruit.

Ohh and if your ever bored go to youtube and type in OJ's name...they have some pretty sick videos of him and the Huntington High squad if your a fan of high school basketball.
By Casper
Registration Days Posts
OJ went to a Christian Academy because they allowed him to play varsity basketball even though he was not in high school. That is why he was ever enrolled in a Christin Academy.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Read this on another message board:
"HHS won their 3rd title in a row - a record for AAA schools in WV. In tonight's game he put the crowning achievement on his career. With just about a minute to go and HHS up roughly 30 pts - OJ steals a pass in the open and from about half court tosses the ball to the backboard, catches it and crushes a dunk. Very nice touch and VERY pretty dunk! Then he did it - he picked up the ball and threw it into the Huntington student section! The official immediately called a T and OJ proceeded to walk around holding up three fingers for their championships."
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
This is kinda dumb that we're even discussing this....it may have already been mentioned but this kid is A TON of trouble already

I love his quote that says USC is the only college city that can handle his "Star Status"

Ohhh yeah he just got busted with weed about 2 weeks ago...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
sounds like a good player for the Portland Trailblazers to me
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
He could play two sports and play for the Bengals too.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
true....i mean i am sure he could handle 2 sports since he is such a "star"....but then again could Portland or Cincy handle such a huge "star" like him???? I would say the Clippers could use him, but they've cleaned out their potheads.....
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: I would say the Clippers could use him, but they've cleaned out their potheads.....

That the NBA knows about
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
well, its not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago...I am sure every team in the league has at least one pot smoker on their team...just like I am sure every single one of knows at least one ourselves....
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Once it's legal this will all be a non issue :lol: 8) :shock:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
haha...true....reminds me of a funny story that isn't at all related to pot....but the guy who lives above me smoke cigarettes all the time...and he comes down from time to time asking for like a quarter so he can buy a pack, and I oblige always laughing and saying he should quit....then he came out with this line:

"I wish they were just illegal, then I wouldn't be able to get them"

I just laughed and rolled my eyes and wanted to bring up the weed I smelled coming from his apartment a few nights before...but decided to leave that one be.....haha
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Did this thread really happen?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Unfortunately.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Did this thread really happen?

Unreal right? T-Mac went to a private school...why didnt we land him instead of losing another one (but this time to the NBA)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:

Unreal right? T-Mac went to a private school...why didnt we land him instead of losing another one (but this time to the NBA)
Yeah, and TOBY-MAC went to LU........thus the connection!!

Actually, I think we are missing the boat if we don't keep close ties with the private christian schools which have big-time basketball teams like Mt. Zion and Genesis One. Unless I'm mistaken, Lamont Winters, who is supposed to be a big part of our future plans, was like the 4th or 5th best player on his team at G1. Recruiting atheletes from these schools is pretty much the same as anywhere else though. You have to look at each kid individually to determine if he will fit in at a place like LU.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Hold My Own wrote:

Yeah, and TOBY-MAC went to LU........thus the connection!!

Actually, I think we are missing the boat if we don't keep close ties with the private christian schools which have big-time basketball teams like Mt. Zion and Genesis One. Unless I'm mistaken, Lamont Winters, who is supposed to be a big part of our future plans, was like the 4th or 5th best player on his team at G1. Recruiting atheletes from these schools is pretty much the same as anywhere else though. You have to look at each kid individually to determine if he will fit in at a place like LU.

Personally I dont want to have anything to do with Gen One...I dont see much good coming from it...we need to stick with the true christian high schools...like AD at Faith Christian and others...they're out there
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
Hey, I know the headmaster at Prince Avenue Prep! Maybe he can...help...us....? :oops:

OK, maybe not.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
What would really be terriffic would be if LCA could develop their program to a point where it attracted quality players from out of town, or even internationally, like AD and the other Puerto Rican kids at Faith.

I think Gen 1, Mt. Zion and the other "factories" can be a part of the formula too. You would just need to look at those kids individually; just as if they were from a public school. The difference is we might have a better inroad with the coaches and administrators at these places than at a public school. From all I know, Lamont is doing fine at LU, so why wouldn't we want more like him?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I like what oldflame is saying about LCA being a potential feeder school. And I agree that LCA would need to grab some overseas talent from PR or somewhere with a missions connection.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]