If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
here's a shot outta left field.

Hearing we can pull Brennan "OUT" and , of all people, Tom Herrion "IN" :!:

yes.

from C of C.

tell me I'm crazy
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
that makes more sense...maybe someone got confused in the rumor mill...they do sound alike!
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think you're making stuff up. Anybody who says Brennan was ever a candidate is off their rocker. Maybe you heard Tom Cruise?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I've heard the Tommy Herrion rumor as well. Herrion is a part of the Pete Gillen coaching tree and is still highly respected as a head coach prospect.

A friend of mine constantly brings his name up in conversation, however, no one has heard anything regarding whether or not he is a serious canidate as far as the AD is concerned.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I think you're making stuff up. Anybody who says Brennan was ever a candidate is off their rocker. Maybe you heard Tom Cruise?
poor phone connection.

old ears.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
College of Charleston buying out Herrion
Updated 6/20/2006 3:07 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The College of Charleston and former basketball coach Tom Herrion have all but finished a buyout that will pay him $787,000 for the remaining four years of his contract.

full story: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... rion_x.htm
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote:College of Charleston buying out Herrion
Updated 6/20/2006 3:07 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The College of Charleston and former basketball coach Tom Herrion have all but finished a buyout that will pay him $787,000 for the remaining four years of his contract.

Herrion had an outstanding 80-38 record at C of C, but didn't meet their high standards established in the John Kresse years. Also, a lot of those wins came in the first 2 years, with players left over from Kresse. For those who don't know, after Marshall left them at the alter, they hired Bobby Cremins.

IMHO, from a standpoint strictly of coaching qualifications, Herrion would be a better get than anyone mentioned thus far. A lot of people think his departure was the beginning of Gillen's demise at UVA. It looks like he has been paid the full amount of his buyout, so he is under no financial pressure to take a job he doesn't want. I have no idea whether he is looking for a house with a swimming pool. :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
All I can tell you is that the CofC people couldn't be any happier to get him out of Chucktown. They claim he destroyed their program. Whether that is fair is subject to debate. Just thought I'd chime in on this amusing at times discussion.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:I've been away for a few days of spring break but just noticed that Sly has added Kevin Broadus from Georgetown to his list of potential candidates. Is this a new development? Does anyone know much about him or why Sly just added him?
Not sure of the answer but I'm against it if he brings that boring style of play here. Man, what a snooze fest. That wouldn't help attendence even if we were winning.
Clearly you aren't concerned with winning. I could care less what kind of style the guy runs. Georgetown is a front runner to win the NCAA championship and you're complaining about their offense. Give me a break.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
There are many ways to win Kel. If I had to choose between winning watching a prostyle of Uconn or UNC vs a snoozefest of Georgetown I'll take excitement. To say I'm not concerned with winning is clearly not paying attention to the thousands of posts I've made over the last couple of years.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
kel,

Our team did significantly better this year when we were up tempo and running. When we were running the boring joke of a motion offense that we were at the beginning of the year, we couldn't do anything.

With the same players returning, wouldn't it be stupid to go back to something that didn't work?
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:kel,

Our team did significantly better this year when we were up tempo and running. When we were running the boring joke of a motion offense that we were at the beginning of the year, we couldn't do anything.

With the same players returning, wouldn't it be stupid to go back to something that didn't work?
I don't necessarily prefer one style to another. A good coach can win, regardless of the type of players he has. Georgetown has athletes. I think it is intersting because this is the first athletic team I've ever seen that has run a princeton style offense.

What I hate are undiscipline teams that take wild shots and turn the ball over all the time. In college basketball each possession has to be valued. Blair taking all those wild shots this year absolutely drove me nuts. Any team can run the Princeton style offense, but only a great team can run a UNC style offense and consistently win. You have to have 7-9 really good players to get away with that.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We really won't know how many of our core players are returning until a new head coach is named.

Also, I'd like to add that Butler plays a lower tempo style and this enables them to hang with the big boys. On our level, you can't expect to go out there and run and gun it with the big programs and expect to have any chance at victory, let alone a close game.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:There are many ways to win Kel. If I had to choose between winning watching a prostyle of Uconn or UNC vs a snoozefest of Georgetown I'll take excitement. To say I'm not concerned with winning is clearly not paying attention to the thousands of posts I've made over the last couple of years.
You can't run and gun with poor personel. Liberty is years away from having that kind of talent. Sure they could win the Big South with that style offense (probably could have this year) but they wouldn't have a prayer in the NCAA's.

Jeff Meyer's LU team played UNC close for 30 mintues because they kept the game under control.

Its defense and possessions (taking smart shots) that win games.
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:We really won't know how many of our core players are returning until a new head coach is named.

Also, I'd like to add that Butler plays a lower tempo style and this enables them to hang with the big boys. On our level, you can't expect to go out there and run and gun it with the big programs and expect to have any chance at victory, let alone a close game.

:cheerleader :D
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:There are many ways to win Kel. If I had to choose between winning watching a prostyle of Uconn or UNC vs a snoozefest of Georgetown I'll take excitement. To say I'm not concerned with winning is clearly not paying attention to the thousands of posts I've made over the last couple of years.
You're right. You are concerned with winning. You would just be a poor coach. ( No personal attack intended) :D
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I wouldnt know the first thing about coaching a team. I would just be able to tell them what they're doing wrong, not what they should be doing. I guess maybe they'd learn the right way through the process of elimination. It would take all 4 years.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:We really won't know how many of our core players are returning until a new head coach is named.

Tell that to VMI, you might not consider WU a top team; however, they were/are in the top 25
By kel varson
Registration Days Posts
jmdickens wrote:

Tell that to VMI, you might not consider WU a top team; however, they were/are in the top 25
Funny you bring up VMI, they started playing better when then slowed things down.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner.....
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
alright, that is a tease. You deserve a 10 day ban for that.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
kel varson wrote:
jmdickens wrote:

Funny you bring up VMI, they started playing better when then slowed things down.
They didn't slow down as much as they got things under control. They still pressed, they still jacked up threes, but they controlled their press and traps more.
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
TallyW wrote:College of Charleston buying out Herrion

Herrion had an outstanding 80-38 record at C of C, but didn't meet their high standards established in the John Kresse years. Also, a lot of those wins came in the first 2 years, with players left over from Kresse. For those who don't know, after Marshall left them at the alter, they hired Bobby Cremins.

IMHO, from a standpoint strictly of coaching qualifications, Herrion would be a better get than anyone mentioned thus far. A lot of people think his departure was the beginning of Gillen's demise at UVA. It looks like he has been paid the full amount of his buyout, so he is under no financial pressure to take a job he doesn't want. I have no idea whether he is looking for a house with a swimming pool. :D
I disagree. I thought Bobby G. now at Seton Hall was the beginning of the end for PG. He is a great recruiter.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Here is the latest list of coaches that been axed and then the ones who have filled the position

A Change At The Top
  • TEAM OLD COACH NEW COACH

Binghamton Al Walker

Bowling Green Dan Dakich

Chicago State Kevin Jones

Colorado Ricardo Patton

Colorado St. Dale Layer

Denver Terry Carroll

Evansville Steve Merfeld Marty Simmons

Georgia State Michael Perry Rod Barnes

Harvard Frank Sullivan

Hawaii Riley Wallace

Illinois State Porter Moser

Indiana State Royce Waltman

Liberty Randy Dunton

Marshall Ron Jirsa

Michigan Tommy Amaker

Minnesota Dan Monson

New Mexico Ritchie McKay

Northern Illinois Rob Judson Ricardo Patton

Quinnipiac Joe DeSantis

Radford Byron Samuels

San Diego Brad Holland

Santa Clara Dick Davey

South Florida Robert McCullum

Southern Utah Bill Evans Roger Reid

St. Bonaventure Anthony Solomon

UC Riverside David Spencer

UMKC Rich Zvosec

Utah Ray Giacoletti

Wyoming Steve McClain
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I was a little surprised to see Dick Davey on that list.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]