If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
I think HMO is just frustrated because he doesn't know what's going on.....he's not used to that. :wink:
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
hurricane fan wrote:I think HMO is just frustrated because he doesn't know what's going on.....he's not used to that. :wink:

No no no my friend...this is the new and improved HMO (and employed) it's easier to say things on a message board when all you are is a student...
Last edited by Hold My Own on March 17th, 2007, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
Hold My Own wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:We are not allowed to use anonymous sourcing at our paper.

Dang....we need a tabloid in lychburg
FanTheFlames.com? :flamingdevil
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
well, does anyone care if I spout non-verifiable info, from anonymous sources, without on-the-record quotes? :lol:

I'd be glad to do that.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
They are being extremely tight-lipped about this search. Even with Rocco we had an idea of the direction they were going in.

I hate this.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:well, does anyone care if I spout non-verifiable info, from anonymous sources, without on-the-record quotes? :lol:

I'd be glad to do that.
Don't hold back on our account. Since when is :BS a :nono here.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Excellent use of emoticons.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Is there an award for that?

"I have the envelope.........And the Flamee for best use of emoticons in the men's basketball forum goes to.............

ME!!!!!

:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping

:roll:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
nicely done. :nod :bowdown

ok- let the rumormongering and conjecture continue:

1. We know Coach Jones is getting an interview

there seems to be general agreement on the following names that keep circulating (in no particular order)

2. John Cooper
3. Ritchie McKay
4. Rick Duckett
5. John Pelphrey

that makes 5, but there may be a wild card (s)- is Tom Brennan seriously in contention? hearing both sides of this argument, but it certainly makes things interesting.

let the arguments commence.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Perhaps thats why Coach Jones was left off the initial assistant coach list?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen may be interested to know (if he didn't already) that Tom Brennan is a Phillipsburg (NJ) native, grad of Phillipsburg Catholic and worked w/ the legendary Rollie Massamino at 'Nova.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
More pure speculation:

Back in 98 there was an uproar when RD was not initially even asked to interview for the permenant position after being interum coach for a year. He was then granted one after the fact like a dog being thrown a bone. I personally doubt if the new head man will come from the existing staff. Coach Jones getting an interview may, I repeat MAY be a PR move.
Last edited by olldflame on March 17th, 2007, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Back in 98 there was an uproar when RD was not initially even asked to interview for the permenant position after being interum coach for a year. He was then was granted one after the fact like a dog being thrown a bone. I personally doubt if the new head man will come from the existing staff. Coach Jones getting an interview may, I repeat MAY be a PR move.
I think it's important to note that Dr. Falwell and company have been extremely impressed with Coach Jones. Not to mention that he has the ear of Alex, whom holds the key to our success for next season, IMO. Not that Barber would pick the next head coach based upon one player but Coach Jones is well liked and well known by most involved with the team, including the players.

But as it's been mentioned before, it's pure speculation at this point.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Hypothetically speaking, I am curious what FlameFans think of the six mentioned in PAmedic's list. I realize that's probably not the actual finalists list but it does offer an opportunity for discussion.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm good with 2-6 and Coach Jones and Coach Sherrard as the top 2 assistants.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I think I would be happy with any but most pleased with Zack as the HC.

I know I'm probably in the minority but I just think that ZJ is best for the program. He brings the intensity we need and would be a recognizable face to the team. His NBA expeirence will be invaluable at brightening kids eyes about the prospect of playing in the big dance some day. Not to mention the recuiting beds are already in place.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I want Sherrard and Jones on staff because they provide a sense of cohesion. I'd rather have a new head coach from outside the program to revitalize the town, the students, and everyone else.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:I'm exploring plenty of sources, HMO, but if those sources aren't willing to speak on the record, they're useless to me (in terms of putting something in print). We are not allowed to use anonymous sourcing at our paper.
Yeah, last thing the N&A wants is a Woodward & Bernstein approach! (I'm of course being sarcastic).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Its unlikely that a new coach from the outside would keep more than one assistant on staff. If the new hire is a recent head coach then he'll probably want to bring former assistants with him if they are available. If he is a current assistant then the chances of more current assistants staying will increase.

Actually I like the looks of the field listed above. I've made some inquiries of my own around the country and these guys all seemed to be well liked.

Brennan just seems like an odd inclusion in the list. He's older and doesn't fit the up & coming profile. But he has a proven track record and charisma oozes out of his pores.

And Ed, its those type of investigations that have led to lawsuits and newspaper groups have implemented policies nearly everywhere against running with solid sources. But I would miss out on a ton of scoops if I couldn't say "KPRC Local 2 Sports has learned ..." More often than not, my sources are the ones directly involved who just don't want to be on the record. I know they are unimpeachable but the general public just has to trust that we have our facts straight.
Last edited by Sly Fox on March 17th, 2007, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not surprised JF is impressed with coach Jones. All indications are he is an impressive person (which does not of course mean he should be the head coach).

His bio is confusing and interesting. Unless I'm missing something, he coached Horizon High school and San Diego City College (JUCU?) at the SAME TIME for 10 years, and was head coach of both for several of those years. Impressive time management if nothing else. Lot's of success as a HS coach. Some pro experience as a player.

The down side would be that as a coach, his current job as an assistant here at mid-major LU is the highest level he has worked. No experience as a high major assistant or a D1 head coach.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Hypothetically speaking, I am curious what FlameFans think of the six mentioned in PAmedic's list. I realize that's probably not the actual finalists list but it does offer an opportunity for discussion.

You are Sly aren't you!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I do my best. :wink:
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
1 and 2 sound accruate. I heard one that has not even been mentioned at all and I know of one other. I highly doubt McKay, and lean more toward RD (and not talking Dunton).

That is far as I go from my speculated source. That is all I can say for now.
PAmedic wrote:nicely done. :nod :bowdown

ok- let the rumormongering and conjecture continue:

1. We know Coach Jones is getting an interview

there seems to be general agreement on the following names that keep circulating (in no particular order)

2. John Cooper
3. Ritchie McKay
4. Rick Duckett
5. John Pelphrey

that makes 5, but there may be a wild card (s)- is Tom Brennan seriously in contention? hearing both sides of this argument, but it certainly makes things interesting.

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Can't wait to see Greg Marshall in a new conference!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: 1. We know Coach Jones is getting an interview

2. John Cooper
3. Ritchie McKay
4. Rick Duckett
5. John Pelphrey

Guys, I'm hearing that Tom Brennan is legit. I don't understand the thought process either, but it is what it is.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]