If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Oh for the love of ****** ****** **********!!!!!

I have been trying to say for the last 2 pages that we can talk all we want about the past and how this should have happened, or that should have happened or how Jeff Meyer did this, or Randy Dunton did that, or this guy should have been hired, or that guy shouldn't have been hired or what the ****** **** ever...its all history now...why don't we get our collective *********** heads out of the ********* past! I know Im not usually the kind of person to use this kind of language but this all this talk of the past and trumpeting of records and what not and talk of why so and so was fired or why so and so was not a coach just gets my blood a boiling. *****!!! How about we wait and see what happens. Im no ****** kool-aid drinker, and Im no ***** stupid hater either so don't put me in one of those camps either.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
The Understatement of the day/week/month/year, by our own Mr. Purple...
Purple Haize wrote: And he never made it boring.
By stoppinby
Registration Days Posts
4 real 4 real

this is how i feel........ nevermind I better not
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
man people are getting angry...which makes for entertaining reading...I say keep it coming
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For those who find it necessary to say this thread is pointless, I would point out that the season is over, we are between coaches, nobody really knows who JB has in mind to hire, and we've gotta talk about something, don't we? Or are we suggesting shutting down the Men's hoops forum until they announce the new coach?

The OP was waxing nostalgic and trying to make a point of how special it could have been to have a program under the same leadership for over 25 years, and some of us agree. I remember playing in the D2 Mason Dixon conference, where our biggest rivalries were with Longwood and Mt. St. Mary's, coached by Jim Phelan, who at the time had been there for about 40 some years. JM's respect for Phelan was obvious, and he was on a similar carreer track until some clueless know-it-alls who for some reason couldn't see what they had chased him off. Look what we ended up with; RD's interum year, which had no chance of meeting the inflated expectations because of the academic and disciplinary losses, and then 4 years of Hankey.

My feeling about JM and what could/should have been are why I think it is so important that we hire the right coach now; IMHO someone no older than mid 30's who can not only get the job done, but who will not look at LU as a stepping stone, but rather as an opportunity to build a program to a level where leaving for anything but the most elite of jobs would be a step down.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:The OP was waxing nostalgic...

See, it's a little too soon to already be nostalgic about the Dunton era/error. Maybe if it was five years ago, and not a few weeks.
olldflame wrote:...and trying to make a point of how special it could have been to have a program under the same leadership for over 25 years, and some of us agree.
Trying to make that point is pointless because no one can ever know that it would have been special. It's all speculation and moaning about a guy who just got fired. It's not that anyone wants the Mens Hoops forum to go quiet, we'd just rather be talking about the future and not the past. It just comes off as a lot of wasted breath spending all this time speculating about the guy we just fired when we could all be looking toward the future. It's time to move on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:purple-find a time we went 2-1-2-3 in a five year span. dunton landed dixon,aluma, hildebrand, chapman,toomer,williams,white,jackson,reed and soro goodness you might have won games!?!
now he has a roster loaded two deep at each position and his knees get cut off by an upstart ad.
his flashy inexperience may cost us more than we are willing to admit. but time will tell.
LU Suprisingly, perhaps due to tainted and expired kool aid, you have mixed up different things.
1. You list the recruits that RD brought in. As I look down the list I first of all don't see the greatest recruit EVER, his SCARness, and secondly most of the guys you listed (you forgot Blair btw) were when he and JM were together. Did he bring them in all by his lonesome? The topic is not his recruiting ability it is his coaching record.
2. NOt being a math major I only see four years up there not five. Did we really finish second in 05 06 and won less than 10 games?
3. According to the "recently departed" THIS was the best team LU had ever fielded. Now it is next years team? What we see in an open gym setting (as attested to early) does in NO WAY reflect what happens during the season. (They don't even keep score the same way :D )
4. Here is another 5 year stretch to consider and compare
93 - 16 - 14 03 - 14 - 15
94 - 18 - 12 04 - 18 - 15
95 - 12 - 16 05 - 13 - 15
96 - 17 - 12 06 - 7 - 23
97 - 23 - 9 07 - 14 - 17
TOTAL 86 - 65 TOTAL 66 - 85

Now which is a better 5 year stretch?
By Killn'emsoftly
Registration Days Posts
This goes bak to my orginal post to start this thread, Jeff Meyer, was rated the #11 best assistant coach by the hoopscooponline.com and also Indiana had the nations best recruiting class for the 06-07 year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
For Scorcho's benefit: The nostalgia being expressed in this thread is not for Randy Dunton, but for Jeff Meyer. While we don't know what would have happened in the last 10 years if he were still the coach, we can say for sure he would have been here 27 years (same as coach K at Duke by the way), and would almost certainly have been over 400 carreer wins. Not quite legendary status, but getting there.

It's also within the realm of possibility that a certain highly prized recruit, now headed to Indiana at least partially because JM is there, might have at least considered coming to his dad's alma matre if JM were still the coach here.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
Is indy still on probation? Or Sampson?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I think that would Oklahoma.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'm thinking it followed Sampson though....
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
The suspension follows the coach, I believe. I think I read somewhere that Sampson was penalized at Indiana.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
That doesn't make sense. Michigan is penalized for a former coach. Does that mean if he were still coaching somewhere they would be in the clear?
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
no, hence the word FOLLOWED sampson
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
In that specific instance, I'd imagine it would be a case-by-case basis. In Oklahoma's case, Sampson committed the crime and therefore, the consequences follow him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yes the penalties followed Sampson at IU. He was / is unable to contact recruits (especially via PHONE) until some date that I don't recall off the top of my head. Since it was not deemed an institutional problem (unlike Michigan) than OU got off with a slap on the wrist
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
By the way...

If I ever start a band, I think I'm calling it "Cartwheels for Mediocrity"
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Ed Dantes wrote:By the way...

If I ever start a band, I think I'm calling it "Cartwheels for Mediocrity"
Post of the month thus far!!!!! :D
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024