If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lureal
Registration Days Posts
what choices has jb made? dunton was building that can not be denied.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
why are we still talking about this? the decision has been made, its over, lets move on.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
JDUB wrote:why are we still talking about this? the decision has been made, its over, lets move on.
that's why I posted the lyric I did...we can't think about what might have been because we will never really know what might have been
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:it is sad and in my opinion we will take a step back now again. oldflame is right dunton had the pieces in place to move us to another level and he was not given the support by jb. so after the most successful five year period in conference instead of staying with consistency and improving areas as an effective administrator we politic to get our own man. we will see how it plays out. i don't think that the bsc coaches fear some assistant from a mid or high level, it is players that ultimately get it done. look where frank beamer was after five years on the ropes.
Crybaby Crybaby Crybaby Crybaby

Crybaby
Last edited by thesportscritic on March 13th, 2007, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:what choices has jb made? dunton was building that can not be denied.

Get over it!!!!!!!!!!! Dunton is gone let it go. Crybaby
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Meyer was a better coach than what people seem to remember. I certainly had my differences with him as a player and a coach as I have been nose to nose with him a few times. However I will always respect him and what he did for me in terms of giving me a scholarship when no other division 1 coach in America would. I learned a lot from both Jeff and Randy when I was on that staff. No one works harder than Randy Dunton when it comes to communicating with recruits, players and coaches. He writes more correspondence a day than Pamedic writes on flamefans.com. The things off court that Meyer gets indicted for are more perception than reality from my view. He was not perfect but most coaches aren't. All in all I think he was a good coach.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote: He writes more correspondence a day than Pamedic writes on flamefans.com.
What a great quote Scar! :D
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SCAR,

I can't remember if you were coaching for this one, but my best memory of JM as a coach was an away game at the "chicken coop" in Conway. I used to take a couple of days off work and make the trip to SC for the Coastal and Chuck South games every year. I think I was the only LU fan there, and I was doing my best to outcheer the entire Chant crowd (I am a notorius leatherlung). We were down 8 or 10 with about 3 minutes left, and I was close enough to hear every word JM said in the time outs. No screaming, positive exhortation, specific instructions, and repeated over and over, "1 possesion at a time". I can't remember the year, but I remember GOAT hit the winning shot, and it was about as excited as I've ever gotten as a flame fan, including the championships.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My 2 favorite Meyer lines:

1. "It's not where you start; it's where you finish [that counts]."
2. "I'd be remiss if I didn't thank the fans [for their attendance and strong support]."

I'm sure JM is very happy in his home state of Indiana as IU's assistant coach, but part of me still wishes he had never left LU. Play Basketball
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim,

Mine is "You have to crawl before you can walk; you have to walk before you can run." He started using this back in the NAIA days to explain the path ahead as we made plans to go to D1, which was just a dream at that time.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
So basically he one big walking cliche? :cheerleader
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
SCAR wrote: He writes more correspondence a day than Pamedic writes on flamefans.com.
What a great quote Scar! :D
now wait a minute- I'm no SJ
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I have a ton of Meyerisms that I have picked up over the years and I believe I still do the best impression of him. I used to do it before games to lighten up the team. I passed it down to Hildo and company. Meyer found out about my impression my senior year though and we had a talk but it came out ok. He has a sense of humor. There was nothing disrespectful about it....My favorites are:

"This isn't JUCO LAND!" (usually in practice when too many guys are shooting at too many baskets and doing trick shots.
"What the Crap are yoooouuu Doin?"
"Im my mind, if I'm yoooouuu...."
And my favorite one he used to level at me as a player was,
"We don't do that here at Liberty. I've been here 6 years and I have never had a player do that (after I took a 360 degree jumpshot in practice :lol: ).
By stoppinby
Registration Days Posts
4 real 4 real!

Nevermind I better not---
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR - I knew we were related somehow. I did (and still do) a dead on impression of my college coach. I think it is because I was the one he was usually yelling at (not that a player of YOUR caliber ever had a coach yell at them) and it has given me my lifelong aversion to coffee. (Whew his breath) IN fact, I have been asked to MC his retirement dinner coming up. By his FAMILY!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:it is sad and in my opinion we will take a step back now again. oldflame is right dunton had the pieces in place to move us to another level and he was not given the support by jb. so after the most successful five year period in conference instead of staying with consistency and improving areas as an effective administrator we politic to get our own man. we will see how it plays out. i don't think that the bsc coaches fear some assistant from a mid or high level, it is players that ultimately get it done. look where frank beamer was after five years on the ropes.
I am not positive about the "best 5 years in BSC history" we had some pretty great teams prior to his head coaching reign. The most common comment among BSC coaches is that we have the best talent in the league (which I say we do/did/still have/always had even when SCAR laced up the nut huggers) so it doesn't sound like the "other" BSC coaches were trembling in their boots over RD either. They ARE concerned we will get someone who can do something with the talent we have. A new coach may not and probably will not be a step back.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I posted the song lyric because my thought is that we can think all we want about what might have been, what could have been, what should have been, etc. but guess what? None of it happened. What happened with Coach Meyer (who I cannot say whether or not he was a great coach because I was still in elementary and middle school when he was in charge) has happened, what happened with Coach Dunton has happened, what happened with all the guys that didn't get brought in as LU's coach has happened, and it's ALL in the past...THE PAST...so instead of spending all our time and energy thinking about what could have happened (which of course didn't happen) and trying to wish we could change history (which we can't), why not look ahead to the future of this program. Id like for a lot of the guys that were on this team last year to stick around just as much as the next guy, but that is their own decision whether they stay or go. Im supporting whoever is brought in as the new coach, and Im supporting the team no matter what it looks like next year.
By GOAT
Registration Days Posts
I remember that Coastal Game as we were down, 8 with two minutes to go, Meyer and Dunton were both encouraging as if we were never down. I preceded to score the next 9 points including a 4 point play at the buzzer. Personally, Meyer believed in me 100% and had total confidence in my abilities. I remember I was in a mini shooting slump and we were playing Virginia Tech at home in front of 9K but before the game he called me in his office and showed me game tape of me against James Madison when we beat them at home as they just beat top 25 ranked Purdue. I had a great game and he instilled confidence in me through my demonstrated ability. Needless to say we lost to VT but I had a great game. Although Coach Meyer and Dunton didn't have the greatest relationship at times they were a good fit as head and assistant head. A head coach is only as good as his assistants that's what makes UNC and DUKE perennial powers because they have top notch assistants. Meyer was big on defense and Dunton was more a motivator and offensive guru. It also helped that we had Marcus White (hands down best pg in LU history) and Aluma and we went 9 to 10 deep.

Only regret I have with both coaches is that they didn't know how to use their horses properly when u had the best talent in LU history. Aluma, Dixon, White, Jackson, Caldwell, Boykin, Pothoven, Taylor, Sorenson, DHall, Fat Leg etc... sophomore year and junior year we were flat out loaded and ran too much half court offense.

I know everyone either hates or loves Dunton and no in between but as a player if you get on the same page as him he is great to play for. He did his best coaching job as interim head in 97-98 with a limited roster do to disciplinary reasons with the hardest schedule in LU history. UT, VT, UVA, Wake, Iona, Maine etc...We had close to a .500 record but we were all of the same page and that's what mattered most. I believe there has been to much dissension in the last few years for the Flames to be as successful as possible.
By lureal
Registration Days Posts
purple-find a time we went 2-1-2-3 in a five year span. dunton landed dixon,aluma, hildebrand, chapman,toomer,williams,white,jackson,reed and soro goodness you might have won games!?!
now he has a roster loaded two deep at each position and his knees get cut off by an upstart ad.
his flashy inexperience may cost us more than we are willing to admit. but time will tell.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:but time will tell.
Right. So why are we still talking about it every single day?
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
GEESH. I thought Paradox was dense. Upstart AD? Are you kidding me? What kind of crack are you smoking?
"RD did this."
"RD did that."
"RD brought this kid in?"
" RD knifed this coach in the back....and that support person."

Heck, fire, man...
...RD did A LOT OF STUFF.

LET IT REST. All of you. Rumors. All rumors. On both sides. It is time to move on folks. What might have been??
...if it's and nuts were candy and nuts...every freaking day would be Christmas!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Dense?

Dude, you can't hang with me and ya know it :lol:
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Sorry to bring you into it, Paradox...
...my bad.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I have nothing to do with any of this conspiracy jazz. And that goes for both sides.

I took the high road with Dunton all along. Like him or not it is in the best interest of the program and in the best interest of this university to support the coach and let the season play out. Nothing is gained by trying to humiliate and bury the coach on an internet site.

The same would hold true for JB as far as I'm concerned. We need to respect the decision that was made and support what is in the best interest of this university and the basketball program. Nothing is gained by developing resentments and making this thing personal. It's not personal. It's business. And it will continue to be that way.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:purple-find a time we went 2-1-2-3 in a five year span. dunton landed dixon,aluma, hildebrand, chapman,toomer,williams,white,jackson,reed and soro goodness you might have won games!?!
now he has a roster loaded two deep at each position and his knees get cut off by an upstart ad.
his flashy inexperience may cost us more than we are willing to admit. but time will tell.
for the love of basketball shaaaaaaaad up!!!!!!!!!! RD is gone.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]