If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
After our disappointing trip to the Honeymoon Capital of America, its back to the Big South for an Ash Wednesday showdown with the Runnin' Keydets up in Lexington:

Virginia Military Institute
Lexington, Virginia

Founded in 1839
State-Funded
Enrollment: 1300
Nickname: Keydets

VMI Mens Hoops Official Site

VMI Yahoo Group

Overall Record: 12-16
Big South: 5-7

The Keydets Average a Nation's Best 102.9 Pts/Game (15 Pts More than the next highest UNC Tarheels)

Last Meeting:

1/27 in Lynchburg - Flames Won 122-117 in Big South's All-Time Highest Scoring Game

Key Players:

#3 Chavis Holmes
6' 4" Sophomore Guard
Thru 27 Games: Averaging 19.7 Pts & 3.2 Rebounds (77 Steals 2nd only to twin brother Travis' 98)

#22 Matt Murrer
6' 7" Senior Forward
Thru 26 Games: Averaging 16.7 Pts & 5.5 Rebounds with Team Best 46 Blocks

#55 Reggie Williams
6' 5" Junior Forward
Thru 21 Games: Averaging 28.5 Pts (#1 in Nation), 8.1 Rebounds & 4 Assists
Last edited by Sly Fox on February 21st, 2007, 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Chavis Holmes, Sly.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
That's what I thought but didn't know for sure.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I cover a Chavis Williams down here in Houston. My bad.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Combined, how many points will the two teams score?

My prediction: 247
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
I like this game...
...222. Dueces wild in this one.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
So how many people are skipping Wednesday church to attend this game?

I know it's a conflict of interest for my students, staff, & faculty for LU to have an away basketball game on a church night at location within easy driving distance, but I'm heading to Lexington myself--to watch LB break the all-time BSC scoring record. :medic
Last edited by Cider Jim on February 18th, 2007, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Total Points

130-Liberty... Blair shoots 28% from the field and takes 47 shots
120- VMI... Reggie Drops 45

:D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I doubt LB's shooting percentage is that low ... VMI allows too many uncontested layups to shoot that poorly.
Registration Days Posts
Are we talking about the same LB? hahaha

It is @ VMI and after watching what happens when ou get in his head (@ longwood) I think it will be bad
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Let's see - when we look at this season and last, this game has to be considered HUGE. Tough on the road (of course)
but I'm just hoping that we have the best game of the season, pull this one out, and then wack RU and head into the tourney at home and feelin good. We need a couple of breaks, a couple of shots to fall that haven't, and a couple of stops on "D" that we haven't been able to muster up. Come on boys - we're with you!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
No one wants us to finish the regular season with an away record of 1-13. As Coach Myer use to say, "it's not where you start, but where you finish," so let's hope for 2 road wins at VMI & Radford (if the LU Quiz Bowl team can win at both places, let's hope our b-ball team can, too). :)
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:No one wants us to finish the regular season with an away record of 1-13. As Coach Myer use to say, "it's not where you start, but where you finish," so let's hope for 2 road wins at VMI & Radford (if the LU Quiz Bowl team can win at both places, let's hope our b-ball team can, too). :)

That May have been the Smartest thing Myer ever said... in his life :clapping
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
As Coach Myer use to say, "it's not where you start, but where you finish," so let's hope for 2 road wins at VMI & Radford...
That May have been the Smartest thing Myer ever said... in his life
If RD uses that same line to fire up his current team, let's just hope that he "gives credit where credit is due" (to JM). :D
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Results from games played at VMI in the Dunton Era:

2003: L, 68-54
2004: L, 61-52
2005: L, 73-67
2006: L, 84-68
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
Even though I am a hater, I think we're gonna pull it off......well, if Armon plays well
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm just ready for Friday's home opener for baseball.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
I think we'll lose. We don't play well at Lexington. Hope I'm wrong... I just don't see us winning anymore this year.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nice to see the strong show of support for the guys before they head up to Lexington. :roll:

BTW the guys at VMI from the Yahoo Group have started up a new message board that just launched Sunday night:

http://vmisports.proboards57.com/index.cgi

It'd be cool if a number of us headed over there to register and help get their site off to a great start. Now the only Big South schools without boards of any kind right now are UNCA, HPU and CSU.
Registration Days Posts
jmdickens wrote:Even though I am a hater, I think we're gonna pull it off......well, if Armon plays well

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Quote of the day, without a doubt
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
TylerBakersGonnaBGreat wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:No one wants us to finish the regular season with an away record of 1-13. As Coach Myer use to say, "it's not where you start, but where you finish," so let's hope for 2 road wins at VMI & Radford (if the LU Quiz Bowl team can win at both places, let's hope our b-ball team can, too). :)

That May have been the Smartest thing Myer ever said... in his life :clapping
I would have thought you were too young to have even known Coach Meyer
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
he is....just like i am....no current student can say anything about him without it being word of mouth...and word of mouth isn't worth much these days
Registration Days Posts
haha I know him, I am young, but i know him
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Nice to see the strong show of support for the guys before they head up to Lexington. :roll:
I support them. I want them to win and I'm going to the game. I just don't see us winning.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Nice to see the strong show of support for the guys before they head up to Lexington. :roll:

BTW the guys at VMI from the Yahoo Group have started up a new message board that just launched Sunday night:

http://vmisports.proboards57.com/index.cgi

It'd be cool if a number of us headed over there to register and help get their site off to a great start. Now the only Big South schools without boards of any kind right now are UNCA, HPU and CSU.
Sly...HPU does have a board:
http://hpupanthers.proboards82.com/
They just don't use it much

And in my travels throughout Big South boards, I've only seen one UNCA poster and about 4/5 CSU posters.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]