If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Well Unlike the rest of my "FlameFriends" (Minus Chris Lang) I was at the game before it started... and here are my notes... and I havent looked at the box score, nor do I want to.

1. LB got off to a really Slow Start and after that the shots he hit were good, but only enough to keep us in the game
2. To Agree With Mr. Lang, I will never blame a game on the officials, but they were AWFUL, it was like watching any game played at Duke, and I as well as a few others let them know how bad they were, Chris did you hear any of that?
3. Once again Tyler Baker Gets Crappy Min. in the scond half and we lose... notice a trend? haha
4. BJ is starting to look like the old BJ we all know and love
5. It just looked like we didnt care, It was like nothing i have ever seen we were just letting them score. Inside mostly they just went to the basket and werent contested.
6. It was a lot of rough play down low on our end and we could not get 1 call at all, it was really pathetic
7. Hubbard looked like the usual, not a threat to anyone but us
8. Holland played well
9. McLean and Porter were both shut down, due to fouls that werent called
10. Brew was a beast, and Smitty looked like he didnt know what to do
11. It is a tough place to play
12. I hope we Turn things around or VMI and Radford Will Smack us around
13. He wasnt at the game, or in any way involved, but FIRE KEVIN KEYS
14. And i dont remember who said it anymore, but the players goofing off on the bench and stuff is usually from the walk-ons and jones and they do it every game, thats just the way it is, Kyle Ohman was talking to their fans at halftime fueling there fire and thats not something you do when youre losing

Just hope we can Turn it around and get on the right track for our last 2 B.S. games and for the B.S. Tourny
So Who wants to Ride To Niagra? hahaha
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I don't know who you guys saw come in at the 3:59 mark but I was there during warmups...Ok so that was me at 3:59. It was crazy finding parking out there and the drive that normally takes about an hour felt like 3 to me. Anyway, I am sorry I missed the beginning of the game. Sounds like we were getting brutalized by the Lancers in the paint. I thought the officiating was horrible and inconsistent. Brew was getting hit on all of those drives to the basket which is why the ball kept spinning out on him...Ace got whacked every time and I mean every time he took a shot in the second half...We should beat Longwood. It is a tough place to play though....Cider, holla at ya boy SCAR when you see him in the streets (to paraphase Stuart Scott). I may be a celebrity :roll: :P but I am the good, approachable kind :lol: Just don't get too close or touch me, or try to talk to MRS SCAR, or sit near me or my security will drag you outta there kicking and screaming :wink:....As far as traveling tonight, I am saying a prayer for traveling mercies for our boys.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We can go on and talk about how we are better then High Point and we should've won, but the thing is we aren't that good of a team...there is no excuse to lose to this team...I don't care what kind of excuse you throw out there...we beat this team at home by 30!! 30 points...why did i ever get excited....i HATE mediocre teams.....all they do is play with your emotions....I hope for a good ending to the season...but i think i will try to keep excitement in perspective if we start to win again....
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
You heard it here first.: We will lose our final three games. We've only won ONE game on the road, can we really expect to beat Niagara, VMI and Radford?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Cider, holla at ya boy SCAR when you see him in the streets (to paraphase Stuart Scott). I may be a celebrity but I am the good, approachable kind Just don't get too close or touch me, or try to talk to MRS SCAR, or sit near me or my security will drag you outta there kicking and screaming
Scar, the 3:59 comment was just to say that you were noticed when you entered the building. I thought about coming up and introducing myself at halftime and shaking your hand, but since you were with your Mrs., I didn't want you to think I was a stalker or anything. :shock:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We shot 50% from the FT line in the 2nd half. They shot 90.5% from the FT line in the 2nd half. Anyone wonder why we lost by 6?

They shot 43% from 3-pt and we shot 30% from out there. This is the 2nd game in a row we've shot horrible from outside.

Alex has had two good games in a row.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
All good stats, Super, but for those of us at the game, we can tell you something you can't see in a box score: Longwood backdoored and fast broke (if that's a word) us to death on lay ups; Liberty, on the other hand, couldn't score well or often in the paint because we were getting hacked to death which the refs called blocked shots. And when the refs did call a foul, we were miserable from the free throw line.

With all that hacking, I wonder if Monroe could have been more effective inside, because he can be a bruiser when he wants to be. Longwood had no one over 6'7", so I thought Russell perhaps should have played more and Baker less, since Tyler is more of a finesse player.
By Ed Dantes
Registration Days Posts
Did anyone see "Major League 2"?

There's a part, at the end of the second act, when the team starts losing repeatedly. The movie cuts to see the groundskeepers, immigrants from (whereever), who dead-pan the comment:

"They're (crummy) again."

Yep.

LU Flames basketball, baby! It's fan---tastic.
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:All good stats, Super, but for those of us at the game, we can tell you something you can't see in a box score: Longwood backdoored and fast broke (if that's a word) us to death on lay ups; Liberty, on the other hand, couldn't score well or often in the paint because we were getting hacked to death which the refs called blocked shots. And when the refs did call a foul, we were miserable from the free throw line.

Agreed, We just couldnt Stop the Back door cuts, It was insane, and even if we did they would call a foul on us anyway... We played Decent Ball on offense in the post, but when you play scrub teams and Cant get any foul calls, but they do its just very frustrating...

Im Willing to Accept "Fast Broke"... Man Law. :D
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
WW, since the regular game thread is locked im bringing it over here. no pom poms here. another so-called know it all. you should seriously apply for a position in an athletic dept, since you know so much! i serioulsy doubt you have any clue of what it takes to handle basketball ops. do you actually know why they are taking a bus?...and yes it is a sleeper bus. why not call the basketball office or e-mail jason eaker and ask him. there is nothing more ignorant than making the statements you make without getting some factual information. this is not siding with dunton at all. it is real obvious that you have an agenda as well and you are using a bus to try to make your point.....now to the game, the last i had seen UVA was 3rd in the ACC, so that comment made zero sense. longwood also beat the 2nd place team in the big south. i could care less if longwood is an independent, play in a high school gym or whatever...they have played some very good teams and got crushed, but if they were in the big south they would be very competitive. road games are tough to win, and we have never played well at longwood. let's hope the guys get to new york safely, and come out swinging against niagara.
Registration Days Posts
Can Someone Tell me why the Boxscore Says Tyler Baker Got a tech? Cause that Def. didnt happen... Hes too solid and too much of an all-star for that to happen to him... I dunno, but it didnt happen.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
now that is what a publicist should be doing!!! :D
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I can't believe how you guys are all falling apart after this loss (wait, yes, I can this always happen on this forum it's become a staple.) I expected to lose, I hate that, but that's where this program is right now. This is not an attack on RD at all, just a statement. We have never played well at Longwood. I don't know the statistic, but I'm sure Scar does :lol: . We have probably won one or two games there ever. It's a bad loss, but I kindof expected to lose.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I certainly didn't expect them to lose. We beat them by like 30 or something last time. I'm disappointed but really, it has no bearing on our season. We are all about Big South play right now and this game and the next don't mean a darn thing. I would feel better if we won, though. I'm so sick of losing.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:WW, since the regular game thread is locked im bringing it over here. no pom poms here. another so-called know it all. you should seriously apply for a position in an athletic dept, since you know so much! i serioulsy doubt you have any clue of what it takes to handle basketball ops. do you actually know why they are taking a bus?...and yes it is a sleeper bus. why not call the basketball office or e-mail jason eaker and ask him. there is nothing more ignorant than making the statements you make without getting some factual information. this is not siding with dunton at all. it is real obvious that you have an agenda as well and you are using a bus to try to make your point.....now to the game, the last i had seen UVA was 3rd in the ACC, so that comment made zero sense. longwood also beat the 2nd place team in the big south. i could care less if longwood is an independent, play in a high school gym or whatever...they have played some very good teams and got crushed, but if they were in the big south they would be very competitive. road games are tough to win, and we have never played well at longwood. let's hope the guys get to new york safely, and come out swinging against niagara.
Smooth, I agree. Also, does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to fly from Lynchburg (small airport) to Buffalo (fairly small airport) with a travel party of 25 or so, on a relatively short time frame? Bussing seems reasonable to me. The only thing I am curious about, is why travel all night? The game is not until Sat. Sleep in your own beds and travel up Thurs.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Cider, holla at ya boy SCAR when you see him in the streets (to paraphase Stuart Scott). I may be a celebrity but I am the good, approachable kind Just don't get too close or touch me, or try to talk to MRS SCAR, or sit near me or my security will drag you outta there kicking and screaming
Scar, the 3:59 comment was just to say that you were noticed when you entered the building. I thought about coming up and introducing myself at halftime and shaking your hand, but since you were with your Mrs., I didn't want you to think I was a stalker or anything. :shock:
Cider,
One thing you need to know about Scar, he loves the recognition baby! If you think that head is big now, you ought to see it when he gets some celebrity-type love, the gym MIGHT have been big enough to hold it. 8)
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
nickrichard wrote: Smooth, I agree. Also, does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to fly from Lynchburg (small airport) to Buffalo (fairly small airport) with a travel party of 25 or so, on a relatively short time frame? Bussing seems reasonable to me. The only thing I am curious about, is why travel all night? The game is not until Sat. Sleep in your own beds and travel up Thurs.
They did travel up last night, I don't know where that came from Richard....it makes very good sense to take a bus, it is more relaxing and probably a better environment for the players
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
Here are some facts, just got off the phone.

Sunday flights from Buffalo to Lynchburg due to the fact that the airports are regional would not have been able to get the team back to Lynchburg by Sunday evening (someone may have posted that).

The team just barely made it into NY (maybe 2-3 more travel hours???). The interstate was closed in Harrisburg area last night and the bus had to stop.

The bus does have 15 sleepers. The team did not leave until 11 PM last night. The team is very tired and it is uncertain if the team will even work out today due to fatigue and when they will even make it to Niagara.

I think that is about it for now.
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
I think they wanted to get there by now, have the team check into a hotel, get a bite, a nap, and a workout this afternoon. By leaving VA this morning, the whole day is gone and they lose a workout. Maybe Scar can chime in on travel like this. Either way, I think with the tough road conditions, they may lose their Friday workout and could have travelled today. ?????
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:I certainly didn't expect them to lose. We beat them by like 30 or something last time. I'm disappointed but really, it has no bearing on our season. We are all about Big South play right now and this game and the next don't mean a darn thing. I would feel better if we won, though. I'm so sick of losing.
I'm sick of losing too, but I just don't see how we should have expected to win that game. This is exactly what we've done the past 2 years. No chance of winning on the road. Hopefully these guys will change that in these last 3 games, but I just don't see it happening. We have never played well at either VMI or Radford, and Niagra, no way.

I'm tired of losing just like the rest of you. It's getting old.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
jmdickens wrote:
nickrichard wrote: Smooth, I agree. Also, does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to fly from Lynchburg (small airport) to Buffalo (fairly small airport) with a travel party of 25 or so, on a relatively short time frame? Bussing seems reasonable to me. The only thing I am curious about, is why travel all night? The game is not until Sat. Sleep in your own beds and travel up Thurs.
They did travel up last night, I don't know where that came from Richard....it makes very good sense to take a bus, it is more relaxing and probably a better environment for the players
Dickens, I'm pretty sure that is what I said, but thanks for clarifying. I was simply stating that I thought it was a good idea to take a bus, but why not wait until Thurs. to leave. This way, you sleep in your own beds on Wed, travel up Thurs, have a light workout Thurs evening and Fri, play on Sat. Why travel through the night? Even though there are beds on this bus, how well are you going to sleep/get rested? You get in at 6:00 am, and your entire schedule is thrown off. I just don't see what you gain by leaving after the game Wed???
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
LUconn wrote:I certainly didn't expect them to lose. We beat them by like 30 or something last time. I'm disappointed but really, it has no bearing on our season. We are all about Big South play right now and this game and the next don't mean a darn thing. I would feel better if we won, though. I'm so sick of losing.
I'm sick of losing too, but I just don't see how we should have expected to win that game. This is exactly what we've done the past 2 years. No chance of winning on the road. Hopefully these guys will change that in these last 3 games, but I just don't see it happening. We have never played well at either VMI or Radford, and Niagra, no way.

Good teams do better than 1-10 on the road.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
well we are cetainly not a good team. But that doesnt mean the team has no chance at winning the BST. They can play good. They just need to put it all together for more than a week at a time.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
jcmanson wrote:

Good teams do better than 1-10 on the road.
I never called us good, we are certainly not good. I thought we would be, but the facts are that we are not. Even at the level of the Big South we are average at best.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
nickrichard wrote:
jmdickens wrote:
Dickens, I'm pretty sure that is what I said, but thanks for clarifying. I was simply stating that I thought it was a good idea to take a bus, but why not wait until Thurs. to leave. This way, you sleep in your own beds on Wed, travel up Thurs, have a light workout Thurs evening and Fri, play on Sat. Why travel through the night? Even though there are beds on this bus, how well are you going to sleep/get rested? You get in at 6:00 am, and your entire schedule is thrown off. I just don't see what you gain by leaving after the game Wed???
You are really confusing me on this one....I don't think they left after the game wednesday because the game was last night on a thursday
Election 2022 and 2024

The swing states will decide the election just l[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]