If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
There's not much I can type about that finish right now. My stomach is a mess as we lose that way.

Larry had career-high 40 points and we lose on a buzzerbeating cost-to-coast layin. :banghead
Last edited by Sly Fox on February 14th, 2007, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
We are in trouble, big trouble. Can't see us getting the 3, and you no what that means. One and done.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Mrs. 01Grad called the final play before it happened. I guess she has been around LU athletics long enough to expect something like that.
(For the record, I told her we had it in the bag.)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
Obviously we have to win out. VMI is huge. We may even end up falling to 5. I wouldn't be surprised.
By WWJFD
Registration Days Posts
I feel bad for Smith. makes the great play on one end and yaks at the line. Not sure why the defenders were running out on to cover the three ball, they had to stop ball first and force them to make a pass. There was not enough time to for them to get a great shot if they were forced to pass. Cannot understand why Brew is not in there during stretch time. He is a clutch player
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Lose by one, how about that technical foul? Sucks big time.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
In loosing to a team this bad I will have to say that it does not look good the rest of the year esp since we will be on the road for 4 straight. We are horrible on the road with losses to the likes of Longwood, Niagara very possible. I guess we will have to see what happens with the rest of the season and the future of Randy Dunton as the head coach.
By SeoulFlame
Registration Days Posts
Aweful Ending! What were we doing? Why do I get my hopes up? I need to expect to lose and just be pleasantly surprised, I guess! :evil:
By coastalalum
Registration Days Posts
Stevev wrote:In loosing to a team this bad I will have to say that it does not look good the rest of the year
not trying to smack here, but how can you make a statement like that?

ccu won both matchups
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
I was there. I'm speechless. I don't even want to talk about it, think about it, or post anything about it.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
It's a heartbreak... Too bad, and sad for the players.... and me.

Having said that - the season's not over
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Night sucks period, lost my net connectection with less than a minute to go. How do you let a guy get a layup at the other end of the floor with 6.9 seconds left? Larry has an all time great game and takes a three at the end of the game when a two guarantees a tie. Don't get it, but I am also not very happy to see us lose this one!!!!! Whew, I feel better now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By grm
Registration Days Posts
And, a very legitimate question by coastalalum.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
coastalalum wrote:... but how can you make a statement like that?

ccu won both matchups
I believe Steve is making a statement about how bad the situation is for LU by using the Chants as a reference point.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
coastalalum wrote:
Stevev wrote:In loosing to a team this bad I will have to say that it does not look good the rest of the year

ccu won both matchups
You are right alum, I guess there is some frustration leaking out by ole Steve. Bottom line, I do not think one should ever make light of an opponent, all you do then is make your team look bad, win or lose.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I'm trying to separate the emotion from this game before breaking it down. That last minute or so was agonizing.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
So, even though it only says smitty was 1 of 3 from the line, his two misses were on fronts of the 1+1, so technically 1 of 5. They also came at the end of the game(SOOO NOT CLUTCH). There was a stretch where we played soft, to the point i think they had 3 or 4 consecutive off. boards. Dunton obviously went a little bit too far trying to witness to a ref(who is going to hell unless Jesus saves him :lol: ) and when you lose by one and your coach costs you two thats tough. Im not going to get all Christian youre an awful person, but sometimes he has to control his mouth. Even though it didnt "lose" us the game, its just tough watching something like that. Larry Blair had the Senior Night most cant dream of, but its a tough loss and hopefully we can stay ahead of vmi to get a home game.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
A game like tonight's reminds me of the old days when we would somehow clutch defeat from the jaws of victory night after night. I remember sitting in the Vines long after the game was over, shaking my head and wondering about what might have been.

Don't get me wrong, I know the season isn't over, but it kind of feels like it should be after that one.
By coastalalum
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
coastalalum wrote:

ccu won both matchups
You are right alum, I guess there is some frustration leaking out by ole Steve. Bottom line, I do not think one should ever make light of an opponent, all you do then is make your team look bad, win or lose.

not a problem really...and believe me, i've listened to a few bad performances by the chants via the internet over the last few weeks and i know they've been pretty incosistent (to say the least). just seemed odd to say "a team this bad" about a team that won both of the matchups this year. enough about that though...just one of those things i would've felt remiss to have not at least questioned it.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
and this is what the crowd was like after the game: :shock: :jawdropper :brownbag
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I just read through everything and still don't believe it happened.

A certain quarterback put it nicely: This feels like Gardner-Webb.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
...and my last post on the subject b/c i'm peeved.

The attendance couldn't have been 2223.

The only people standing up for the entire game were Baker's Bunch, My friends (The Killer B's) and Russ's Fan Club... and about 5-6 kids in the regular student section. It wasn't until the last minute or so did everyone start getting into it.

I don't know if I'm more mad at Anthony for missing the FT or for Dunton getting the technical.

I can understand nobody wanting to get in the way to foul that kid on the final drive, but atleast step in and try to draw the charge.

I can't complain too much about the refs tonight. I thought they did a fair job.

The white haired cop with the mustache got on us for yelling at the game!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I started saying how it wasn't illegal to yell and have fun at a basketball game, then he GOT UP OUT OF HIS CHAIR and told us IT'S ABOUT TO IF YOU KEEP RUNNING YOUR MOUTH! then Dwayne Carson (who was beside us) stood up for us and the cop sat back down and didn't turn around the rest of the night.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
I never heard the Vines center get so quiet so fast. Senior Night Blair scores 40, close game , we make a great play to steal the end bounds pass and then let the guy go in for a uncontested Lay Up. Wow ! Everyone was in shock and they never really sad who won the game. The refs reviewed the play and went into the locker room and few minutes later they put 77 up on the board.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Tough loss.

If LU wins at VMI and RU, and CCU loses at home to Winthrop, then LU grabs the three seed.

Even if LU stays with the four seed, we'll open the tournement at home.

Let's see how this thing plays out. If the Flames can roll off three or four road wins to close the season, then they'd have big time momentum going into the tournement regardless of which round they face WU.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]