If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
and he didn't even try...it was terrible transition defense, there is just no way around it...I guess its a lesson learned for BJ....
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
At least one gaurd should have been well beyond the three point line as a saftey valve. It's a shame that LU lost that opportunity. With a guard near half court, LU is in position to at the very least force them into an off-balance shot .

This play seems to harken back to a somewhat famous game back in the early 80's when St. Joe's U. upset #1 DePaul in the first round of the NCAA's. I think it was a field of 48 back then. Neverthelss, St. Joe's won the game on an uncontested lay-up after a missed one-in-one.

...not a good feeling
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
This type of play happens quite a bit in big games...
...UCLA did it the the year they won
...Danny Ainge did it one year for BYU.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
The UNC game was just like the ending of our game. They even had a second longer. UNC's man just got inside the three point with three guys in his face. Tech didn't have anyone on the line for the rebound.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
I have a question, since I was not at the Coastal game...
...did Coach Dunton call a TO before the free throw to make sure the defense was set, in case of a miss?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
No.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
game over. let's not rehash it anymore please!!!!!!
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
I just took another look at the pix...
...anyone else think that the guy looks like HMO's dad?
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
that is funny!
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Wow, he really does...Great movie line to Fumble...I may have to use that one if we get a home game in the bs tournament!
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
We should of just pulled a "Tyler Baker" on him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:This question is for SCAR or anyone else who ever coached or played basketball in high school or college: on Smith's free throw attempt last night, wouldn't it have made more sense to pull back 2 or 3 of our players off the block and already have them set up for their defensive position, in case of a missed shot?

I know this is "Monday morning quarterbacking," but I know I have seen other coaches employ that strategy in similar situations. What are the pros and cons of setting up your defense on a play like that vs. having 5 guys crash the boards?

Thanks in advance for your input, coaches. :idea:
The strategy I am more accustomed with is keeping two people on the line, this allows them to harrass the rebounder or inbounder while the other can dog the outlet or intercept a pass. These two would "herd" the ball handler to the sideline while the shooter would have dropped back and tried to force a trap or keep "herding" the ball handler down the sideline (Note: Keep the player ON THE SIDELINE) One of the two remaining players would be "safety" and the other would be at mid court to provide additional support.
You wouldn't need to call a time out. You can either expain it to the two players who are going to be back, or more likely, talk to all four during the first FT attempt and have them hit the spots prior to the second.
Hope that helps
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
yea, definetly a breakdown of some kind.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:This question is for SCAR or anyone else who ever coached or played basketball in high school or college: on Smith's free throw attempt last night, wouldn't it have made more sense to pull back 2 or 3 of our players off the block and already have them set up for their defensive position, in case of a missed shot?

I know this is "Monday morning quarterbacking," but I know I have seen other coaches employ that strategy in similar situations. What are the pros and cons of setting up your defense on a play like that vs. having 5 guys crash the boards?

Thanks in advance for your input, coaches. :idea:
The strategy I am more accustomed with is keeping two people on the line, this allows them to harrass the rebounder or inbounder while the other can dog the outlet or intercept a pass. These two would "herd" the ball handler to the sideline while the shooter would have dropped back and tried to force a trap or keep "herding" the ball handler down the sideline (Note: Keep the player ON THE SIDELINE) One of the two remaining players would be "safety" and the other would be at mid court to provide additional support.
You wouldn't need to call a time out. You can either expain it to the two players who are going to be back, or more likely, talk to all four during the first FT attempt and have them hit the spots prior to the second.
Hope that helps
Looks like the VT coaches had it set up correctly:

Carolina forward Tyler Hansbrough, who led the Heels with 22 points and eight rebounds, made one of two free throws with 13.9 seconds left to cut Tech's lead to 81-80.

Hokies guard Markus Sailes was fouled at the other end, and he missed both free throws to set up Lawson's final shot attempt.

Tech doubled Lawson and closed every passing lane.

"We were supposed to run a play, but they came and doubled, so that messed everything up," Lawson said. "I couldn't find anybody open, so I tried to get a shot off, but they blocked it in the lane."
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Looking at the Tech game it appeared that the double team was inadvertent. I think they just had 2 guys run at the guy with the ball because they didn't have matchups. I would have to see it again but that is what I thought watching it live when I was on the treadmill. They left guys open on the perimeter but not underneath. Bottom line is no matter what strategy you use, communication is important. You have to know your matchups prior to the shot being taken.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:I would have to see it again but that is what I thought watching it live when I was on the treadmill.
Before someone beats me to the punch...
...I guess you will be taking your treadmill in for a new pair of these...
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Good stuff....I actually go to a club so when I break one, I just move to the next one...BTW I am getting into good playing shape. The next alumni game I will be in great shape! Yet another thing to look forward to in the off season for us flamefans 8)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Scar, don't let Fumblerooskies give you a hard time: I think the two of you go to the same barber, if you know what I mean. :dontgetit
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, so I thought I'd tack it on to this:

Radford beating VMI Wednesday was pretty big for LU. The only way the Flames lose a home game now is if they lose their final two games and VMI wins at High Point on the last day of the season. If Liberty beats VMI next week, it wraps fourth up.
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
mrich wrote:We should of just pulled a "Tyler Baker" on him.

:clapping hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

that was a good one... it would have worked too. lol
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Scar, don't let Fumblerooskies give you a hard time: I think the two of you go to the same barber, if you know what I mean. :dontgetit
Does that mean I SHAVE his head bald too :wink: I need to start charging 20 bucks a pop then.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Didn't feel like starting a whole new thread, so I thought I'd tack it on to this:

Radford beating VMI Wednesday was pretty big for LU. The only way the Flames lose a home game now is if they lose their final two games and VMI wins at High Point on the last day of the season. If Liberty beats VMI next week, it wraps fourth up.
THANKS CHRIS!

any good news is welcome at this point.

hopefully the guys and Coach put this one behind them and get back into form.

play the way they did against WU and we're all back on the bandwagon. Pathetic, but true :lol:
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Scar, don't let Fumblerooskies give you a hard time: I think the two of you go to the same barber, if you know what I mean. :dontgetit
Does that mean I SHAVE his head bald too :wink: I need to start charging 20 bucks a pop then.
Already there...
...almost.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:Wow, he really does...Great movie line to Fumble...I may have to use that one if we get a home game in the bs tournament!

You could use that one to describe the Big South Conference and their scheduling tendencies...
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]