If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
no, it's not. OSU is probably the hardest place to play and they do it... when i went to ODU they did it.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
WHM that poster rocks. very nice bro
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Thank you sir.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Will I'm trying to figure out what we should do for the CSU game. We got the LU going between our two sections, but the kids in the middle just looked at us like we were idiots. When the cheerleaders tried to get it done it went over like Medic in a Speedo. No one was paying attention and those that were just were embarassed.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Will I'm trying to figure out what we should do for the CSU game. We got the LU going between our two sections, but the kids in the middle just looked at us like we were idiots. When the cheerleaders tried to get it done it went over like Medic in a Speedo. No one was paying attention and those that were just were embarassed.
I'll have you know - last summer I wore a speedo and looked HOT HOT HOT
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Were you in Boone?
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
The only kid that could get that middle going was Snively. I don't know what else I could do.

Me and two friends are going to Winthrop on Tuesday night (we have nothing better to do.) There's still a spot in my friends car if you're interested. I don't know about your $ situation and classes and all.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
TBGBG's been begging me to go. I've got 7:50s on Wednesday and then I have to work with football on Wednesday. If it wasn't for that, I'd be there. He's planning on going though.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Were you in Boone?
exactly where I bought it
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The sad thing is I actually feel like I'm letting people down because I'm focusing on a class instead of going to a game.
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Nah, you aren't. 7:50 on Wed is tough, and we'd be getting back really late. I only have 12 hours so I feel like I can probably pull it off.
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
SJ, you should feel bad, youre letting me down thats for sure, but WE ARE DRIVING DOWN... so if you can spare tues night, lets get it
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
For some reason I feel like we have a legit shot at beating Winthrop, though I could still be delirious from us handling High Point. Winthrop AT Winthrop is a whole 'nother story. I went down there last year for our 40 point loss in the first round of the BSC tournament. TBGBG where are we sitting? Behind the Liberty bench? I'm bringing the Killer B's sign.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
whmatthews wrote:Nah, you aren't. 7:50 on Wed is tough, and we'd be getting back really late. I only have 12 hours so I feel like I can probably pull it off.
I've got 21 hours this semester.

If I didn't have to work with football I'd go because I could go to class Wednesday morning and sleep all afternoon, but I've got to get some practicum hours.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
whmatthews wrote:For some reason I feel like we have a legit shot at beating Winthrop, though I could still be delirious from us handling High Point. Winthrop AT Winthrop is a whole 'nother story. I went down there last year for our 40 point loss in the first round of the BSC tournament. TBGBG where are we sitting? Behind the Liberty bench? I'm bringing the Killer B's sign.
LU certainly has a shot, but they will have to either do two things )control the tempo-----meaning they have to keep it a run a gun game or b)shoot lights out from 3 or the outside in general.

I would toss A out the window b/c teams rarely, if ever, control the tempo in the coliseum. So I think for LU to have a shot they will have to be shooting well from outside (meaning Blair in particular) because I don't think they will get much in the paint.

FYI,

If you are planning to sit behind LU's bench, either purchase your ticket from Liberty for right behind their bench or request it when you buy at WU's ticket office. They will move you if you don't have ticket for the first 5 rows behind LU's bench b/c that is the student section after the first 5 rows.

Wish I could be there, it is one of the two conference home games I have am unable to attend.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
Also,

Don't expect Martin to play a major role in the game. He's being worked back in slowly and trying to gain confidence on the foot even if the pain is gone. He'll likely only play 10-15 minutes.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Regarding the Winthrop game: I'd just go ahead and toss last year's tournament result out. Liberty was playing with a rotation that went about six deep (and Monroe was the sixth) and Winthrop was a little peeved over losing to the Flames a week before.

If Liberty plays the way it did Saturday night, it will have a chance to play any game it plays. The execution was fabulous on offense. Great screens. Great ball movement. Good movement in transition. I said before that I thought Rell Porter needed to be in the lineup no matter what. That guy just brings it every game, even if he doesn't fill up the box score. He's the classic "glue guy" every team needs to succeed.

Liberty's bigs are going to have to fight through Winthrop's screens and cut off some the backdoor plays and watch Jenkins at all time. Winthrop's offensive execution is as good as any team I've seen this year.

I'm interested to see what Dunton and the staff will come up with for this game. Great credit goes to the staff for the adjustments made in between the two High Point games. High Point did a fantastic job in the first game of penetrating to the basket and drawing fouls, and Liberty found a way to cut that off and force Reid into outside jumpers. I know he hit 4 of 5, but I think you'd rather have Arizona (my hands down choice for POY at this point, FWIW) shooting 3s up top than having free rein in the paint.

I was waiting for the moment this team was going to start clicking, and it appears to have happened. Liberty is starting to remind me a lot of Coastal last year, which really got rolling late in January and in February. Should be a fun game to watch at the Coliseum.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Great reading .... I love to see how SuperJon & Matthews and others are fired up - making signs, blah, blah, blah.
It's all great, and I'm sure the players appreciate it. Also, think we're blessed to have Chris' writing & coverage.
I love the streams, but, like PA & the rest, was pretty ticked off when it went blank. Now that the Eagles are not on the "protected" list, we might as well blow their brains out.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
grm wrote:Now that the Eagles are not on the "protected" list, we might as well blow their brains out.
:idea:

anyway, was I the only one disgusted with all of the flopping going on? It was the main thing I took away from that game. They should take a page out of soccer's rule book and call a T for consistantly taking a dive. Or I guess it could be like the opposite of an intentional foul. Still 2 shots and the ball.
By grm
Registration Days Posts
Even if the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service removes the bald eagle from the "threatened" species list, it will still be protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. The Bald Eagle Protection Act prohibits the take, transport, sale, barter, trade, import and export, and possession of eagles, making it illegal for anyone to collect eagles and eagle parts, nests, or eggs without a permit. Possession of a feather or other body parts of a bald eagle is a felony with a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment, although federally recognized Native Americans are able to possess these emblems which are traditional in their culture. Bald eagles are still listed as "threatened" in the United States.
(I guess we had better be careful - still some rules in place.)
By grm
Registration Days Posts
LU wrote:
anyway, was I the only one disgusted with all of the flopping going on? It was the main thing I took away from that game. They should take a page out of soccer's rule book and call a T for consistantly taking a dive. Or I guess it could be like the opposite of an intentional foul. Still 2 shots and the ball.
In hockey, you can get a 2 minutes penalty for taking a dive.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Liberty is starting to remind me a lot of Coastal last year, which really got rolling late in January and in February.
I've said the same thing privately, but didn't want to say it on here for fear of people telling me to forget Coastal.
By Realist
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:Liberty is starting to remind me a lot of Coastal last year, which really got rolling late in January and in February.
I've said the same thing privately, but didn't want to say it on here for fear of people telling me to forget Coastal.
I'd be careful making CCU comparisons, at least for now. LU has played better, but they have beaten some very bad opponents at home, and HPU didn't look like HPU in that game the other night, they completely forgot that defense is what had been winning them games. Also, it was coming with HP. Meaning, they got some free passes on the road at CCU (with Mack and Richardson out), at CSU (the first game after Moore went down), and at VMI (without Murrer and Robinson). In fact, on ken pomeroy's luck factor ratings, HP was one of the highest, and that is just taking into account stats vs games won, not injuries, etc. Plus, LU has one only one road game all year, at CSU, CCU won a lot on the road last year during their streak. The other one thing I will mention is coaching. Dunton completely lost his team earlier in the year, maybe he has them back, but if they get down, does he lose them again? Coastal didn't have coaching issues last year.

My prediction for the WU game is WU by 15-20. Closer if Blair is really hot and making absurd shots. I just don't see them controlling the tempo or getting any points in the paint.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The reason I make the CCU comparison is because we have gone smaller and started pushing the tempo which is something they seemed to do a little bit last year.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Realist, that was why I was kind of careful with my statement, just saying that they are "starting" to remind me of Coastal last year. Tomorrow's game will certainly flesh out the tale a little bit more.

I agree with you on the points in the paint thing. McLean just didn't show up for the first Winthrop game. Bradshaw owned him. If McLean doesn't improve, LU doesn't stand a chance. They can't just sit around and chuck it around on the perimeter against Winthrop.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]