If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
Through Monday's games, THE BSC sits at #30 in Conference RPI (out of32). We are better than the MEAC and the SWAC. Here are the teams and their rankings:

Winthrop 70
High Point 186
Coastal 270
UNCA 281
LU 301
Radford 307
VMI 310
Chucky S. 327

I know there is still some time left in the season, but outside of Winthrop, the Big South has locked up a 16 seed.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure finishing top 3 in this year's big south is going to get it done for RD. In spite of the 3 game win streak, being 301 in the RPI has to weight heavily on JB's mind, not to mention JF.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Take Winthrop out of the mix and you don't have much credibility at all with that bunch. I don't think that finishing 2nd or 3rd in this weak conference would save Duntons butt since our RPI is so low.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We've won 3 games in a row. We're tied for 3rd. Let's drop the Dunton losing his job for a while.
By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
I said nothing about Dunton. I stated that outside of Winthrop, the Big South SUX and the numbers don't lie.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Then I wasn't talking about you.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
Come on 'Cane fan, lighten up, we are fourth in the 30th ranked conference! Cut them some slack!
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
We've won 3 games in a row. We're tied for 3rd. Let's drop the Dunton losing his job for a while.
You can't, while looking at the long term.

Yes, this team has now won 3 in a row and is looking a little bit more like the team we saw at the beginning of the year. This is a staple of LU's basketball in the past under Dunton -- start out somewhat hot and then fizzle, only to make a run at the end of the season to fall up short. Dunton isn't out of the woods and shouldn't be.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yeah, but how about we wait until the season is OVER to talk about the future of this coach....we are playing well right now...enjoy it
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
I'll enjoy it when we beat a good team. But that might be kind of hard because our conference would struggle to compete with the women's ACC.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
If we beat Winthrop at their place then I can say that Dunton should be back as coach next. These last few wins don't mean much considering how bad the competition has been lately.
Last edited by Stevev on January 31st, 2007, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
If we beat Winthrop at their place then I can say that Dunton should be back as coach next. These last few wins done mean much considering how bad the competition has been lately.
It's not as much the win/loss as it is the complete lack of progression over the years. If we can compete against WU in their place, I'll be convinced this team is beginning to turn the corner. Winthrop embarassed us in our place last time -- let's see what we've learned. That's how I'm going to judge Dunton. Should we have a better record? Probably. Let's see the progression of how this team prepares and learns from their previous losses.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If we beat Winthrop at their place then I can say that Dunton should be back as coach next.
Wow, could RD's job literally come down to a single game? Any word if JB is attending this game in Rock Hill?

If, hypothetically, the first question is true, would any Flame Fans be pulling for Greg Marshall's squad in that game just to get RD out of town?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Like has been said on here before, wins and losses are not everything.

Right now we're playing good ball. We have beaten two teams in a row who, while you guys say they suck, they were ahead of us in the standings. That's good.

For those saying we have to beat Winthrop to be considered a good team, I bring up one point: they should have Torrell Martin back. They beat us without him. They are a great team. They are leaps and bounds better than their RPI. What you guys should base things on is how we do against the other two South Carolina schools. If we beat HPU, and those two, we guarantee at least .500 in conference, and if we beat Radford at Radford which we should, then we'll be 8-6 and likely in 3rd place, which means no Winthrop until the championship game.

Enjoy the streak. We've made improvements. That's what we ALL asked for: an improvement. The team that played last night was not the team that got killed by Winthrop or lost to HPU. If we continue to progress, 8-6 is possible.

I have been as critical as everyone on here. I know I have. I will be in the future if we play as bad as we did against Winthrop, HPU, and CCU. However, when we play good, I will be congratulatory to the team and the coaching staff because they deserve it.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I don't see anyone on the schedule remaining that is any good other than Winthrop. My opinion of the team and Dunton is over a stretch of 5 years and overall performance in and out of conference. His out of conference performance is pathetic at best not counting the div 2 cupcakes this year. At least if we were to pull the upset over Winthrop in their buidling that would tell me some degree of progress is possible.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop is a legit threat for the Top 25 and you're expecting a win against them? Your expectations completely baffle me. We're not UNC.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop plays to the level of their competition. Except for us. They killed us.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
They didn't play to their competition before Martin went out.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
Theres just almost no way possible to beat a team on their court who a few weeks earlier held you to 40 AT HOME(my grandpa's a big ncaa fan its all he watches bc the knicks put him to sleep, and after seeing the box score said we should be the school dropping to D-III) With all that said, we are better than we were a couple weeks ago, and 3rd in the conference looks much easier with the way were playing before.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
To expect a win AT Winthrop is crazy. I just want to see some progression. If we go in and get blasted by 30 again, nothing has changed. We ought to know a little bit more than we did when they came running through the Vines. If we come in and compete (which can be intrepreted a number of ways-- and for me, I'd expect us to stay within 10-12 points) than I can continue to put in confidence in Coach Dunton.

If we come out and lay an egg, nothing has changed, and this mini-win streak means nothing, IMO. Just support the claims that these teams just aren't any good.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
the other two South Carolina schools. If we beat HPU
You better buy yourself a a road atlas for your Compass, SJ, because HPU is in High Point, NORTH Carolina. :!:
Last edited by Cider Jim on January 31st, 2007, 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
No s---, Sherlock. I live 40 minutes from HPU's campus. If you'd actually look at the entire sentence you wouldn't make yourself look like a complete donkey's rear end.
you guys should base things on is how we do against the other two South Carolina schools. If we beat HPU, and those two, we guarantee at least .500 in conference
Good job there, Chief.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
man, you've got a short fuse today.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Just with him. He hasn't said a single word that hasn't had d-----bag written all over it since he got on the board.
By Libertine
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:He hasn't said a single word that hasn't had d-----bag written all over it since he got on the board.
:lol: :lol: Great line, Jonny.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]