If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Do you guys seriously think that the ladies on campus believe that? Do you ever wonder if they are laughing at you after they walk away? :lol:
By whmatthews
Registration Days Posts
Whatever... If a Flame isn't a flock of Eagles so what? It could be worse. Why is Carolina's mascot a ram, when they are the Tar Heels? I wonder how many people question it. There are a lot of crazy names with different mascots... it's not a big deal.

I said last night at the game that if we win I'll delete the facebook group. We didn't win.
If we make it to the NCAA tournament, I'll delete the group and apologize to Coach Dunton for making it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have been a student here for 3 1/2 years and the flames rumor is believe to be true by many many students, both male and female...you don't have to believe it dox, but I can't even being to count how many times i have heard it...untill i looked into it myself i believed it as well...as do countless others on this campus...stop trying to start crap....especially when you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the Liberty rumor mill....
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
I may have to do a survey...
...ask an extra credit question in my classes, about the significance of our nickname and the mascot. In my 6+ years here I have never heard that students may believe a flock of eagles is called flames.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
So do people really not get why there's a difference between our nickname and our mascot? It's not like we're the only school in the nation with such a situation.

I never even thought twice about it until the first time I heard someone say it was dumb. I wholeheartedly disagree.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:
SuperJon wrote:That's the biggest rumor around campus. I'd be willing to say that 75% of our student body believes that a flame is a flock of eagles.

No way!

I'm not buying it.
Then you obviously have no connection to the student body. When I was a student at Coastal, and was here for the LU/CCU football game, I asked why there was an eagle if the mascot was the Flames and I had four people tell me that a flame is a flock of eagles.
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
OX, You are sounding more and more like a member of the special olympics everytime you post.....I have refrained from attacking people on here the last few days..

but, since you are attacking a childhood and current friend, you are asking for it....

I will stay in the group until Matthews deletes it, then I will probably join another "fire the fat neck group"
When our new coach takes over, there is going to be alot less criticism on here :D
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
paradox wrote:
SuperJon wrote:That's the biggest rumor around campus. I'd be willing to say that 75% of our student body believes that a flame is a flock of eagles.

No way!

I'm not buying it.
Then you obviously have no connection to the student body. When I was a student at Coastal, and was here for the LU/CCU football game, I asked why there was an eagle if the mascot was the Flames and I had four people tell me that a flame is a flock of eagles.
Sorry, Superjon......if all my years around campus i have never heard this one before....this is news to me as well.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
I'm in the process of taking an informal survey of my students on that very topic. See the other thread about Flames = Eagles.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
whmatthews wrote:Whatever... If a Flame isn't a flock of Eagles so what? It could be worse. Why is Carolina's mascot a ram, when they are the Tar Heels? I wonder how many people question it. There are a lot of crazy names with different mascots... it's not a big deal.

I said last night at the game that if we win I'll delete the facebook group. We didn't win.
If we make it to the NCAA tournament, I'll delete the group and apologize to Coach Dunton for making it.
You're being evasive. You made a highly incredible statement as LU's mascot, and then you proceed to start a tasteless fire the coach group.

So what, if a UNC mascot believed that North Carolinians call themselves rams when they run through the forrest barefoot and accrue residue on their heels? However, if that same mascot disparages the head coach of the basketball team by starting a fire the coach group, he opens himself up to scrutiny and people can and should justifibly question the credulity of the mascot.

As far as Stewart is concerned, I was actually routing for the guy when he played here, but it's hard for me to support him as he berates his ex-coach. Sadly, he's been overcome with some deep resentments regarding Dunton. It's a shame. He owes Dunton more respect than that. Afterall, It was Dunton, who gave Doug a chance to play D-1 ball in the first place.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
As far as Stewart is concerned, I was actually routing for the guy when he played here, but it's hard for me to support him as he berates his ex-coach. Sadly, he's been overcome with some deep resentments regarding Dunton. It's a shame. He owes Dunton more respect than that. Afterall, It was Dunton, who gave Doug a chance to play D-1 ball in the first place.
Obviously Doug had problems with Coach D (the two names could probably be reversed. Doug never peformed up to his capabilities) and he's not allowed to have a bad experience with the guy?

They have every right to not defend Dunton as you do to defend him.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:
Obviously Doug had problems with Coach D (the two names could probably be reversed. Doug never peformed up to his capabilities) and he's not allowed to have a bad experience with the guy?

They have every right to not defend Dunton as you do to defend him.
True. And if Doug carries his resentments to level that he has, then he opens himself up to a little criticism as well, especially since no one on this site has the nerve to defend Dunton.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
especially since no one on this site has the nerve to defend Dunton.
I would disagree with that. There was a love-fest for RD after the Winthrop game. You've become so defensive to the defending of Dunton that you're missing the support that is being thrown his way. We all have our opinions of RD, some good and some bad. SJ has said it best, when he deserves praise, he'll get it and when he deserves criticism, it's coming his way. It's the nature of the coaching beast.[/quote]
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I have been a student here for 3 1/2 years and the flames rumor is believe to be true by many many students, both male and female...you don't have to believe it dox, but I can't even being to count how many times i have heard it...untill i looked into it myself i believed it as well...as do countless others on this campus...stop trying to start crap....especially when you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the Liberty rumor mill....
You shouldn't be proud of that kind of credulity. It should in fact be denounced.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:
especially since no one on this site has the nerve to defend Dunton.
I would disagree with that. There was a love-fest for RD after the Winthrop game. You've become so defensive to the defending of Dunton that you're missing the support that is being thrown his way. We all have our opinions of RD, some good and some bad. SJ has said it best, when he deserves praise, he'll get it and when he deserves criticism, it's coming his way. It's the nature of the coaching beast.
[/quote]

Nice try, but love-fest is hardly the case. And some the things said about Dunton on this site extend far beyond criticism. It's been unprincipled at times, to say the least.

I don't have access to facebook, but the last I heard, the fire the coach group is alive and well.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Nice try, but love-fest is hardly the case. And some the things said about Dunton on this site extend far beyond criticism. It's been unprincipled at times, to say the least.
I'm not denying that. Some of the things said on this board have been extremely inappropriate and shouldn't have been posted. That doesn't speak for the rest of us.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
In my estimation, Dunton has already rebounded from last years unfortunate disaster that began with the defections of Dees, Robinson, and Miller.

LU only won 7 total games last year and now they are as good if not better than any Big South team with the exception of Winthrop. This team seems to be coming together at the right time.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:
thepostman wrote:I have been a student here for 3 1/2 years and the flames rumor is believe to be true by many many students, both male and female...you don't have to believe it dox, but I can't even being to count how many times i have heard it...untill i looked into it myself i believed it as well...as do countless others on this campus...stop trying to start crap....especially when you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the Liberty rumor mill....
You shouldn't be proud of that kind of credulity. It should in fact be denounced.
That isn't even relevant...the truth is its a common rumor that is out there and some of the people tat say it are very intelligent people so it becomes believable...I for one don't believe everything I hear and looked into it myself...I actually never found anything saying it wasn't true, just nothing that stated it was....

regardless I don't really care what you think of me or liberty...you say you support the teams so fine...support the teams...you just should learn to think before you type
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
paradox wrote:
That isn't even relevant...the truth is its a common rumor that is out there and some of the people tat say it are very intelligent people so it becomes believable...I for one don't believe everything I hear and looked into it myself...I actually never found anything saying it wasn't true, just nothing that stated it was....

regardless I don't really care what you think of me or liberty...you say you support the teams so fine...support the teams...you just should learn to think before you type
You're distorting my statements.

First of all, I made it clear that I don't buy into the idea that the majority of the LU student body is credulous enough to believe it. And my overall valuation of LU is very high. I would guess that it's just an urban legend within a small group of sports-minded people on campus, and embarrassingly enough, many of them are posting here on this site.

:lol:

If you never believed it, then let it go.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
I know im gonna look like a fool but honestly until i got on here i thought it was a pack of eagles, and most of the guys on my dorm would tell you the exact same thing.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
You know the first time somebody told me that I thought "oh, ok" I just heard it and accepted it. I can't remember how long it took, but one day I thought about it and said, no that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I can see people passing it on not really thinking to question it. But if anybody really thinks about it and stil believes it. They should probably be in CLST classes. Do they still have those?
By lureal
Registration Days Posts
paradox you are on point! remember that Proverbs 6 declares the wicked man sows discord and continues to pronounce that the Lord hates one who sows discord among the brethen. so yes dickens and others have attacked, misrepresented and lied about Coach D. and when they do that in a public forum they are opening themselves up. however the ultimate referee is keeping score. so as elicoolbreeze saw i believe coach will walk in faith of his God given vision for LU hoops. we all have the opportunity to use our keyboard and the way we handle our own business will not go unaccounted for by God's balance sheet.

The man went 2-1-2 out the gate had a down year like Coach K, izzo and calhoun are experiencing. now it looks like our program is stronger then ever as we move forward. the staff is is unified and the young talent is obvious. God bless the dunton's.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
lureal wrote:paradox you are on point! remember that Proverbs 6 declares the wicked man sows discord and continues to pronounce that the Lord hates one who sows discord among the brethen. so yes dickens and others have attacked, misrepresented and lied about Coach D. and when they do that in a public forum they are opening themselves up. however the ultimate referee is keeping score. so as elicoolbreeze saw i believe coach will walk in faith of his God given vision for LU hoops. we all have the opportunity to use our keyboard and the way we handle our own business will not go unaccounted for by God's balance sheet.

The man went 2-1-2 out the gate had a down year like Coach K, izzo and calhoun are experiencing. now it looks like our program is stronger then ever as we move forward. the staff is is unified and the young talent is obvious. God bless the dunton's.
All I can say is Wow!!!!
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
I can feel a Kool Aide Drinkers group hug coming on. :lol:
By jmdickens
Registration Days Posts
first of all.......name one thing I have lied about......Give proof...come on lureal.....man God does say that there are jack#@s in the world too.....

I get attacked more than Dunton....probably b/c I started it all about a year ago, but I have been on point with everything I have said.....

here is something else....One of my favorite verses in the Bible.

John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free....

The truth is out there, but to hear all the BS you say about all of us who are at this school is ridiculous......I hope Dunton get's fired tomorrow, and we still win the conference :twisted:

Hey, ask Dunton's daughter about Dees and Monxeaue, she might know something about them
Ask the coach about it......hahaha
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hoc[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]