If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
This is huge for our conference:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt ... &type=lgns

NIT has new criteria for 40-team field

February 16, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- All regular-season conference champions not in the NCAA tournament field will be guaranteed a berth in the National Invitation Tournament, and teams no longer have to have .500 records to be selected for the NIT's 40-team field.

The changes, announced Thursday, come less than a month before the NIT selection committee meets to select the field for the first time since the tournament was purchased by the NCAA.

The committee is comprised of former Division I coaches, including Naismith Memorial Hall of Famers Dean Smith and chairman C.M. Newton. The other members are Don DeVoe, Reggie Minton, Jack Powers and Carroll Williams.

In the past, a team had to win at least half its games to be chosen for the NIT.

The regular-season champions of the 31 Division I conferences not in the NCAA's field of 65 will be invited.

"The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter," Newton said. "It formalizes what postseason basketball should be -- a reward for success throughout the regular season."

The field will be announced March 12, hours after the NCAA field is revealed.

The 40 teams will be seeded and the higher seeds will host games as they advance unless there are extenuating logistical circumstances.

Opening-round play begins on campus sites on March 14 with the second round starting on March 17 and the quarterfinals on March 21.

The semifinals and finals will be played at Madison Square Garden in New York on March 28 and 30.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
"so you're saying we have a chance" :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Well, what he is saying is that no matter who winds up as regular season champion (whether its WU or BSC) they will be playing in the postseason. Having potentially two still playing after the Big South Tourney is a blessing.

But i fear it could wind up being used against a school like Winthrop. Should they wind up winning the regular season title and then get beaten in the tourney, the NCAA Selection Committee might use this as an excuse to pass on them as an at large. Let's hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. They should be letting in the best teams and not just the ones they think America wants to see.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Gonzaga v. Winthrop in the finals of the NIT! I'd watch that one.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Obviously Gonzaga is in the Dance whether they win their conference tourney or not. But it would be fun for Liberty to get into the NIT sometime and face some name brand opponents.
This year's men’s basketball?

Looks like both Jaylen Davis and Ben Southerland a[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

Now that we have the current roster finalized, by […]

Future Schedules.... Again

Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Though I don't like CAA, Richmond is taking a step[…]