If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I just did the math and right now Lb is averaging 19 points per game. He has 17 regular season games left and at that rate he would finish the regular season with 2171 career points which is 20 points more than the all time big south career leader Tony Dunkin! That is amazing! He would pass Bailey Alston but he won't sniff Karl Hess at 2373. Plus he will have at least 1 tournament game as well. Do you guys think he will get it?
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I don't think he gets it. That average is taking into account his numbers at the beginning of the season. I think his average goes down in league play. And 20 points is too slim a margin.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Historically his numbers have gone up in conference play even with another scorer like Dees so playing with Brew won't necessarily bring him down. Plus he has potentially 3 games to pad his total if they make it to the NCAA's, 2 if they make it to the Final game and 1 if they only make it to the semi-finals. That should be enough. If his average dips to 16 ppg from here on out (not his overall average but over the next 17 games) he would pass Alston at 2120. At 17 ppg he would be at 2137. They should at least win a 1st round game esp if it is at home so he could have at least a full game in which to break the record. I think he gets it.
By mrich
Registration Days Posts
Actually, If I remember correctly, Dees outscored Blair in conference play their sophomore year.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
He did but I was saying that Larry's numbers typically go up in conference rather than down so it is not like he is going to dip down to 10 points a game or something. at 17 or 18 a game which is very do-able, he can get it done. If we get to the Final game or the NCAA's then there is no question he gets it done. This is barring missing games for any reason of course.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
sure would be great to see: go Larry
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
For the first time I've heard staff say they believe he can make the jump to the NBA...up until this point they would only say...it's gonna be tough for him...apparently he's taken it to another level on this road trip...on both ends
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Did he learn how to run the point on this trip?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:Did he learn how to run the point on this trip?
Ahhh good "point"
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
blair should pass bailey, but will not get hess. he really need a point guard though. hubbard is not the answer.
By nickrichard
Registration Days Posts
That would obvioulsy be a tremendous accomplishment to hold the conference scoring record. Lets hope he can pull it off.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm thinking he'd probably trade the records for a conf championship and a win or 2 in the tourney
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Medic , I asked him and he said if such a trade were possible on an e-bay or an Overstock.com or something like that he would be interested in a fair trade. Perhaps 1 scoring title per big south Title... :lol: 8) No really I am sure he would love to have the bsc but having that scoring title would be a great feather in his cap too.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Scar, Ive been following his progress all year. He should be able to easily get to 2,000 (barring an injury), and should be able to get to Dunkin for the Big South lead. Hess is just too far ahead, he should be able to finish 2nd though with a good rest of the year.
By externo50
Registration Days Posts
It would be great to see. Has Liberty Men's Basketball retired any numbers?
If Blair gets the record will his number or jersey be retired?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
other than Hess, you mean?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
4 players have had their Jersey retired with more to come soon I would say. Matt Hildebrand's number 20 (my old number too btw) and Julius Nwoso & Peter Aluma's 00. Karl Hess' number 11 (although there are pictures with him in a #10 jersey at times). Damien Hubbard wears 11 now but I suspect he will be the last one to wear it. So 4 guys have had their jersey retired. LB will have his done right away I would say and Bailey Alston should have it done soon as well IMHO. He scored 2115 in only 3 seasons. LB may get it but it took him 4 years to do it. 2115 is impressive I don't care who you are. He was not the best teammate or character guy at the time for that matter. He and I have talked about all of that stuff recently. Part of it was ego, part immaturity but he has a few regrets about that stuff which probably is the reason he has not had it retired yet. I didn't even realize how impressive his numbers were at the time. It was not until I started doing TV for Liberty that I really took a good look at his numbers and it still blows me away. We should have won more games. If we had played d like the team does now, we would have. We had scorers all day but no team defensive commitment for the most part. That and we got murdered underneath but opposing post players. But I digress.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
This quote is from the Gamenotes on the Liberty website. If he gets 1,2 or even 3 more games (BS tournament and NCAA's he will get it for sure!

Blair needs 249 points or to average 17.8 points per game through the Flames’ remaining 14 games which includes the first round of the Big South Championship to take sole possession of the Big South career scoring title.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not sure if he gets its...his game will have to be much more improved and his teammates can't be scared to take open shots and force him to have to take ridiculously bad shots all the time...if a couple of his teammates can keep the defense honest, then maybe it will happen
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
postman, LB is taking around 15-20 shots a game not including free throws. He only needs to average 18 ppg over a 14 game period. He has averaged over that for 2 and a half years.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:postman, LB is taking around 15-20 shots a game not including free throws. He only needs to average 18 ppg over a 14 game period. He has averaged over that for 2 and a half years.
Not to mention he has 2 VMI games to come....should be what 30 points each?
By LU'sbestmanager
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:
SCAR wrote:postman, LB is taking around 15-20 shots a game not including free throws. He only needs to average 18 ppg over a 14 game period. He has averaged over that for 2 and a half years.
Not to mention he has 2 VMI games to come....should be what 30 points each?
VMI normally gives there buckets up to the big men, the big buckets anyway. so alex should have good games against them. i think Larry will get this. i also think that he is a big time player and big time players step up in big time situations. i think he and dwight will step up throught the rest of the season and lead us into a good finish to the regular season.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I don'tknow how many LB has today but he only needs 15 today or to average 3.3 the rest of the season not counting 2nd and 3rd round of bs tournament or NCAA's. Too bad Reggie Williams is doing his thing at VMI beause LB is only gonna have the lead for 1 season. LB could get to 2250 or so. That is impressive....I have to look back on this thread to see who said he wouldn't get it and who said he would. :P
By TylerBakersGonnaBGreat
Registration Days Posts
Hes got 12 right now
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Blair held scoreless in the 2nd half! How about Reggie Williams at VMI at 1697 right now as a JR. No one has had that many points in the bs this early in their career I don't think. He is going to set a single season scoring record as he started this season under 1000 career points. Reggie could get to close to 1800 before this season ends with one more full season to play....I should say that if LB had played as many games as Hess did his senior year by going to the NCCAA National Championship, he might have had a chance to catch him. Maybe a George Mason like run in the NCAA's would do it for him...One can dream right?
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]