If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Liberty playing UTEP tonight! Clearly excitement is down this season with not a lot of chatter on here about our first C-USA tournament. I know I’m in the minority but I think we have as good as shot as anyone to win this tournament.

Sure we haven’t played well recently, but nobody is intimidating in conference, and who knows if this team steps up in the big moments. Excited to watch the game tonight!
stokesjokes liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I understand this is the wrong thread for this, but Carey Green's Lady Flames WON their first Conference USA tournament game yesterday! :clapping
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:47 am Liberty playing UTEP tonight! Clearly excitement is down this season with not a lot of chatter on here about our first C-USA tournament. I know I’m in the minority but I think we have as good as shot as anyone to win this tournament.

Sure we haven’t played well recently, but nobody is intimidating in conference, and who knows if this team steps up in the big moments. Excited to watch the game tonight!
If we discover some offense, we can win the trophy. It's good that tournament is in Alabama, and none of that "higher seed host" crap.
By AATL
MTSU sent LA Tech packing last night. Especially with the bulldogs gone, I think this tournament is wide open.

I'm surprised more college basketball conferences haven't followed suit with college baseball and tried to give their top seeds/teams a bit more protection in the tournament. Not even saying they should or shouldn't, but I can see the argument for why a single-bid mid-major league might do so given the volatility of a one-and-done format.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
My opinion is higher seeds should get home court in smaller conferences. It's good for the conference to have the strongest team they can in the big dance. I think ballcoach will have the same opinion when we finish the regular season #1 in conference in future seasons. :lol:
Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The higher seed host stuff is too much like high school conferences in Virginia. Often times, when higher seed hosts, they don't have a venue suitable for a tournament, but they are allowed to host regardless. The deal in Huntsville is ideal, I just wish I could go down there for semis and finals. (Jacksonville State @ Liberty for softball this weekend)
By LUOrange
Watching the game now, and the crowd size is sparse but loud considering. I do think that the higher seed home court model the ASUN is more appropriate for CUSA considering how spread out we are, or go to the old host campus format the Big South used to have. Better attendance looks better on the interwebs and TV.
By Tothehoopyall1
Doesn’t matter if you lead the country in 3 point shooting if you can’t make a freaking free throw. You cannot win high level basketball games without making free throws.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I’m not sure what’s worse. Scoring 3 points over the last 10 minutes of the game or the free throw shooting.
Tothehoopyall1 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
We were winning 54-42 with 10:33 to go. Lose 66-57. That’s hard to imagine. We scoring 3 points over the last 10:33.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote:We were winning 54-42 with 10:33 to go. Lose 66-57. That’s hard to imagine. We scoring 3 points over the last 10:33.
Unfortunately, if I had to guess how we would lose a game, it would be one of our infamous 10 minute scoring droughts that we have quite often.

And we'll probably have the same problem next year. Can't wait! :cry:
By jmclaughlin
Outscored 24-3 to end it might be the perfect synopsis of the season.
Missing 3 straight front ends of a 1&1.

Great group of guys but we need some dogs.
Veritas, AATL, LU 57 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Can't make free throws or layups. All we accomplished was reaching the inevitable in the first game. We just didn't have a good team this year. No height, very little athleticism. Not sure I am excited about any of the returning players.
By broncosliberty
I agree, we need athletes that can compete at this level. I hope that Ian holds this coaching staff accountable for this season and the lack or recruiting. We deserve more with the money and resources we have.
By Veritas
jmclaughlin wrote: March 14th, 2024, 8:37 pm Outscored 24-3 to end it might be the perfect synopsis of the season.

Indeed. I appreciate that the players come from good families and occasionally post funny content on LU’s social media channels, but the lack of talent relative to the rest of this (relatively mediocre) league is glaring. The coaching staff needs to bear part of the blame for the recruiting philosophy that put the team in this predicament this year and likely next year too.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
broncosliberty wrote: March 14th, 2024, 8:48 pm I agree, we need athletes that can compete at this level. I hope that Ian holds this coaching staff accountable for this season and the lack or recruiting. We deserve more with the money and resources we have.
I don’t think Ian needs to say one word to the coaching staff after multiple championships and then ‘gasp’ an 18 win season. Don’t get me wrong I’m disappointed too and this feeling sucks but McKay’s seat is as cool and comfortable as can be right now.
By AATL
jmclaughlin wrote: March 14th, 2024, 8:37 pm Outscored 24-3 to end it might be the perfect synopsis of the season.

Came here to say the same. This game was a microcosm of the season.

Looking forward to seeing the redshirts next year. I hope the length pays dividends.
By ECC29
The comments about the team lack of athleticism have been said by me and a couple of other people since the beginning of this season. We got criticized for it and a lot of people were brown nosing on Coach McKay. It was a failure of recruiting. I said this before, the two starting guards are as good as they can be and they have basketball skills. I give them that. BUT, they are limited and they are liabilities on defense. Peebles is a good player but also a liability on defense. Basketball is about strong defense first in order to compete at a higher level. If 2 out 5 players in the floor are weak on defense, then it will not work at higher competition.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]