If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:23 pm Gaining by Losing (here is to hoping)
When a player who has a limited future in our program enters the portal, I look at it as a "win win". They win by having an opportunity to find a place where they can fit in better and we win by freeing up a scholarship which can go to a player who may be able to contribute more on the court Does it always work out that way for both? Obviously not, but I believe in most cases it's a better option than the status quo.
LUOrange liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 21st, 2024, 6:41 am
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 20th, 2024, 9:23 pm Gaining by Losing (here is to hoping)
When a player who has a limited future in our program enters the portal, I look at it as a "win win". They win by having an opportunity to find a place where they can fit in better and we win by freeing up a scholarship which can go to a player who may be able to contribute more on the court Does it always work out that way for both? Obviously not, but I believe in most cases it's a better option than the status quo.
Unless something has changed recently, athletes are not guaranteed a scholarship beyond the current year. We can pull one any time we need to. Don't recommend it, but ..............................................................
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 2:53 pm That rule needs to be changed. Scholarships should be for 4 years, unless player gets in trouble and gets kicked off team, or flunks out of school.
That rule has been in place for decades, and the reason is it benefits both the players and the programs. Nobody wins by having someone sit at the end of the bench for 4 years, or staying at a place they are not happy, even if they are getting to play.

A few individual schools have experimented with offering 4 year contracts, thinking it would help them recruit a higher level of athlete than they otherwise would be able to get. None are currently offering it across the board, but some do to select athletes.
LUOrange liked this
By Tothehoopyall1
paradox wrote: March 21st, 2024, 6:55 pm

And what exactly did they lose to the portal? Gain would seem to be inevitable in this case.
Not exactly sure what you are saying. Some players are moving on so we are (LOSING) some players. This provides an opportunity to (GAIN) depending on who comes in. I didn't say anything about the portal. And NOOO!! Gain is not inevitable unless we build a better team.
By Tothehoopyall1
paradox wrote:What you lose with Rode is TBD. Different story with the other guys.
What is TBD is who Ritchie brings in. We have 2 openings now and I’m hoping for maybe 1-2 more. Bring in the right players and it changes everything.
TH Spangler liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Not going to lie, this one hits different. JV is a fun player to watch. He’s by far our most athletic player, it just shows more on defense than offense. We’ve not seen many of our starters hit the portal like this over the past several years. It really makes you wonder what’s going on behind the scenes right now?
LUOrange, Baybird, Kricket liked this
By Tothehoopyall1
I’m a little surprised with Venzant leaving but in some ways glad in that we have another opportunity to pursue a high level player(s). The last I heard there are 600 plus players in the portal. Let’s get some high level talent on the floor and we can move past what’ was a disaster of a season (minus the Myrtle Beach tournament).
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
What I don’t think gets considered enough is for kids that aren’t going pro, academics plays a part in their decisions. Seems like JV would be graduating this year, no? Maybe he wants to go to grad school somewhere else. You have to think that’s a big part of why Preston left last year since he ended up at a top academic school.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I’m sad about this. I strongly doubt we’ll pick up 3 players that can contribute like Venzant. That’s a lot of transfers to fill and while Liberty is attractive to some athletes, it’s not like we can just mass offer scholarships to all the top transfers and expect that to work culturally.

I’m not a negative person when it comes to future projections but I’m having a hard time seeing how we recover to where we were for at least 2 years.

Then again 3 transfers COULD make a huge impact, but probably not a likelihood. I guess we will wait and see.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Tothehoopyall1 wrote: March 29th, 2024, 7:38 pm I’m a little surprised with Venzant leaving but in some ways glad in that we have another opportunity to pursue a high level player(s). The last I heard there are 600 plus players in the portal. Let’s get some high level talent on the floor and we can move past what’ was a disaster of a season (minus the Myrtle Beach tournament).

There are actually almost 1200 in the portal and still rising.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: March 29th, 2024, 9:34 pm What I don’t think gets considered enough is for kids that aren’t going pro, academics plays a part in their decisions. Seems like JV would be graduating this year, no? Maybe he wants to go to grad school somewhere else. You have to think that’s a big part of why Preston left last year since he ended up at a top academic school.
100%

With Warfield, I suspect basketball issues were the primary reason, but in the case of Preston, he had been at LU for 5 years and already had 2 degrees. He would have been either a starter or 6th man if he had returned, and his numbers are way down at NW, but he is nonetheless a contributor to a winning B1G team. A Master's from Northwestern will be much more valuable to him than a third degree from Liberty.
Baybird liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I wish we could’ve used Peebles differently, that’s one player I hated losing. I feel like we can replace Venzant’s production in the portal.

Talking about the portal, looks like we landed our first in Taelon Peter. Looks like a stud in his highlights. 6’4 taller, athletic guard who can shoot.
LUOrange liked this
By Ill flame
https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-adds-commitment-from-68-juco-f-owen-aquino/

Just picked up an athletic 6' 8" F that can shoot the 3. Still have a couple scholarships available to fill out the depth. I'm really liking the direction this roster is heading, it's starting to look like length shouldn't be a problem depending on which of the young guys steps up as a starter.

Metheny/Porter- 5'10"
Peter- 6' 4"
Blair- 6' 6"
Cleveland- 6' 7"
Aquino- 6' 8"
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
His game is a mirror image of Zack Cleveland - dribble, drive, pass. May be a more proficient (31%) 3 pt shooter. FT at 61% also Clevelandesque. Would like to get a couple post players.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]