If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Agree with almost all of that Purple. I would add that another factor in the choice between Metheny and Porter could be the fact that Colin has been much better at making plays without turning it over. Hopefully, if a hard decision is made to not use them at the same time very much, the competition for minutes will make them both better. They didn't have that this year.

Looking at the off guard, I would think Venzant is the leader in the clubhouse, but he needs to make himself more of a scoring threat. Peebles is an option, but although he has improved on defense, and has decent size, he really doesn't give us the length and athleticism you want as a starter at that position in the packline. I like him better as an offensive sparkplug off the bench. Then we have the 2 redshirt guys, Blair and Davis, who can play either there or as a small forward, and would give us more length at either position compared to this year. We will also have 6'2" November signee Brett Decker, who is listed as a PG, but has has put up big scoring numbers in HS. Really no way of knowing if he will be good enough to contribute as a FR.
Last edited by olldflame on March 16th, 2024, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:40 am Agree with almost all of that Purple. I would add that another factor in the choice between Metheny and Porter could be the fact that Colin has been much better at making plays without turning it over. Hopefully, if a hard decision is made to not use them at the same time very much, the competition for minutes will make them both better. They didn't have that this year.

Looking at the off guard, I would think Venzant is the leader in the clubhouse, but he needs to make himself more of a scoring threat. Peebles is an option, but although he has improved on defense, and has decent size, I like him better as an offensive sparkplug off the bench. Then we have the 2 redshirt guys, Blair and Davis, who can play either there or as a small forward, and would give us more length at either position compared to this year. We will also have 6'2" November signee Brett Decker, who is listed as a PG, but has has put up big scoring numbers in HS. Really no way of knowing if he will be good enough to contribute as a FR.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Peebles transfers. He will have very few if any minutes him next year. He did improve greatly over the season but he’s still severely limited at this level. He’s a poor man’s version of Porter and Metheny.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:55 am
olldflame wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:40 am Agree with almost all of that Purple. I would add that another factor in the choice between Metheny and Porter could be the fact that Colin has been much better at making plays without turning it over. Hopefully, if a hard decision is made to not use them at the same time very much, the competition for minutes will make them both better. They didn't have that this year.

Looking at the off guard, I would think Venzant is the leader in the clubhouse, but he needs to make himself more of a scoring threat. Peebles is an option, but although he has improved on defense, and has decent size, I like him better as an offensive sparkplug off the bench. Then we have the 2 redshirt guys, Blair and Davis, who can play either there or as a small forward, and would give us more length at either position compared to this year. We will also have 6'2" November signee Brett Decker, who is listed as a PG, but has has put up big scoring numbers in HS. Really no way of knowing if he will be good enough to contribute as a FR.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Peebles transfers. He will have very few if any minutes him next year. He did improve greatly over the season but he’s still severely limited at this level. He’s a poor man’s version of Porter and Metheny.
Peebles transferring is not something I had really considered, but it could happen. He should have his degree in hand this Spring, and he is such a talented scorer, if he were to find a place where he can play starter's minutes, he could put up pretty big numbers (he actually led us in ppm this season). I think a lot there could depend on how high Ritchie is on Blair, Davis and Decker. If he likes one or more of them a lot, that could be Brody's clue to move on. I would think one of the Alabama schools could use him, and it would be an attractive option to play close to home his Senior year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 16th, 2024, 10:23 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 16th, 2024, 9:55 am

Peebles transferring is not something I had really considered, but it could happen. He should have his degree in hand this Spring, and he is such a talented scorer, if he were to find a place where he can play starter's minutes, he could put up pretty big numbers (he actually led us in ppm this season). I think a lot there could depend on how high Ritchie is on Blair, Davis and Decker. If he likes one or more of them a lot, that could be Brody's clue to move on. I would think one of the Alabama schools could use him, and it would be an attractive option to play close to home his Senior year.
Not too out too fine a point on it but if RMK can’t recruit over Peebles this program is in trouble. Peebles could put up monster numbers at a D2 or NAIA school. Those are the schools he put up big numbers playing here. I would love to see him go somewhere that he can be The Man
By Tothehoopyall1
Ill flame wrote:https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-g-bro ... er-portal/

This is big news. I think peebles transferring is best for both parties but I'm kind of surprised Southerland is transferring considering he was likely to get a lot more minutes next year. I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venzant and shoots like rode, is that too much to ask?
I expect we will have some more movement. We need to recruit a similar size and ability as what Grand Canyon has brought in under Bryce Drew.
By Ill flame
I have no interest in a 6' 8 guard or a 7' forward that can't move, especially in mckays system. I just watched Illinois win the big ten with their tallest player being 6' 10" The rest of their rotation was 6' 4 to 6' 8" but super athletic and all capable of hitting the 3. Give mckay a poor man's version of that rotation and we are dancing right now.
thesportscritic liked this
By Drsloan
In today’s game you can’t have more than 1-2 guys that can’t shoot outside. Already have Venzant and Cleveland. Probably can’t also have a traditional big man that only plays in paint. He will need to be able to space the floor at least a little.
By ECC29
This basketball program is going to have to tap in the international recruiting. This maybe the way to rise up a bit and compete well. Maybe there are international players that never heard of NIL or does not care about playing in a P5 school. They just want to come to America and just play to show their skills.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 19th, 2024, 8:31 am We are too small, too slow and too white.
Is Ballcoach really playing the RACE CARD? If so, a lifetime ban from ASOR may be in order. :nono :fineprint :nonono
By Drsloan
That article this morning was a sobering reality that our recruiting has been very underwhelming. Outside of Preston and Warfield, we have recruited a large amount of guys who ended up in D2 and lower. You are always going to have a few misses but that is a lot of misses in a short amount of time, many who were right around when we won in the tourney and should have had a recruiting boost.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Drsloan wrote: March 19th, 2024, 10:24 am That article this morning was a sobering reality that our recruiting has been very underwhelming. Outside of Preston and Warfield, we have recruited a large amount of guys who ended up in D2 and lower. You are always going to have a few misses but that is a lot of misses in a short amount of time, many who were right around when we won in the tourney and should have had a recruiting boost.
3 of the 6 players in that article are at D1 teams. Dobbs and Warfield are starters and Preston is a rotation player in the Big 10 . Abii was a legit D1 talent who started for us day one as a FR and it was basically downhill from there because he refused to put in the work to get better on defense. He also quit at Dallas Baptist after one year, and to the best of my knowledge is no longer playing basketball despite having 2 years of eligibility going into this season. Moore was recruited over when we signed Porter, and decided to go closer to home at a place he could play right away. Jackson had earned a spot in our 7 man rotation (per Ritchie) during preseason as a FR. He then missed the first half of the season with mono, and basically has never been the same player since. To his credit, he hung around til he had his degree even though he saw extremely limited minutes.

Said all that to point out that your implication that Ritchie signed a bunch of no talent players is not really based in fact. Having said that, the talent level or lack thereof of the players he has recruited doesn't change the fact that his teams have been winners year in and year out, all while representing our school and our Savior with distinction. I am fully convinced that this year's record is an anomaly, resulting from the perfect storm of losing the best player we have ever had and taking a big step up in competition simultaneously. But even if we don't return to our past frequency of winning, I personally will take 18 wins a year with the class and character our guys display over 20 plus with players who end up leaving the program for reasons that have nothing to do with talent or playing time.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This is the first time I can recall our losing a FR who redshirted to the portal. Could be he decided after a year that either the school's culture or McKay's system are not a fit for him. It could also mean he doesn't think his prospects for minutes are very good going forward.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
Davis potentially/probably leaving is disappointing. I was hoping his athleticism and being a big guard would be very helpful. However, his leaving also highlights the mistake made last summer in not securing any big men to replace Preston. Hopefully, McKay will rectify that some this off season.
Last edited by LUOrange on March 20th, 2024, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]