If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By broncosliberty
That's the major problem, why did we not have the depth this year? Mckay should be held responsible for the lack of planning and recruiting. The fans that invest real money into the athletic program, want to see results every year. It's very disappointing to watch us loose against teams that have much less resources and money.
ECC29 liked this
By ECC29
Basketball is a game of defense. You must play good defense to compete in any level. The problem is, Too many dunks and 3 point highlights that people thinks it’s all about scoring. The scoring is important, don’t get me wrong but defense is a MUST in basketball. Porter and Matheny plays well in offense and has many tools to effective at times. However, they are a liability in defense. They are undersized and not enough to compete defensively in a D1 competition. That is 2 out of 5 players on the court that are liabilities on defense. That is one of the biggest weakness in this team. Then, they bring in Peebles who is not better in defense because of lack of size. Those guys has hit their limitations with maybe improving shooting ability. They are not going to get any faster or jump higher or get any taller. It is what it is. McKay needs a huge change next year.
By Ill flame
broncosliberty wrote: March 7th, 2024, 2:20 pm That's the major problem, why did we not have the depth this year?
Because we made a big move up from one of the weakest conferences in the country and got exposed by bigger, better, more athletic teams than we are used to playing against. This roster is slightly worse this year without Darius but we would still be sitting here with 20+ wins in the asun.
ECC29 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I missed the games where they were owned by the bigger bigs and unguardable freakish freaks. But, there has been some self-sabotage going on lately. Maybe they'll fix it. Who knows?

It's not insurmountable. And it's not the end of the world if they fade early. Try and remember, it's just a game. Lighten up. It's supposed to be fun.
Last edited by paradox on March 7th, 2024, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 7th, 2024, 10:22 pm I missed the game where they lost to the bigger bigs and unguardable freakish freaks.
FAU
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Didn't know they were in the conference too?

So, maybe they're not so necessarily engulfed in the land of giants and athletic freaks after all.

They are more than capable of playing smarter and getting a better result. Let's see if they make it happen.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 7th, 2024, 10:25 pm
paradox wrote: March 7th, 2024, 10:22 pm I missed the game where they lost to the bigger bigs and unguardable freakish freaks.
FAU
Ah. You didn’t clarify. Everyone, including the coaching staff, agrees LU needs some bigger athletic players. But you can’t always snap your finger and get them. As I said, you have to play with the team you have, not the team you wish you had. This years team has played up to their potential IMO. However, this team didn’t really have a high ceiling. They could win the Conference Tournament and they could also lose in the first round. It will be exciting to watch
Cider Jim, Baybird liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think they’ll have much trouble adding help. Players are gonna wanna play with these guys. When they’re on, they can really disorient a defense with their movement.
By Tothehoopyall1
paradox wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:39 am I don’t think they’ll have much trouble adding help. Players are gonna wanna play with these guys. When they’re on, they can really disorient a defense with their movement.
I’m just glad to see you’re admitting help is needed. We can do better than what we saw tonight. Sheesh!!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I've been concerned since FAU. Team was exposed. Several talented players, but not enough. They're really good when the offense keeps the defense moving. The problem is sustainability.
By Ill flame
I'm concerned about the attendance we had this year. Despite the best home schedule we've ever had this was our worst attendance since 2018. More people showed up to watch us play stetson and Central Arkansas last year than the western kentucky and MTSU games this season. I believe our club hockey team had better attendance this year.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 15th, 2024, 11:43 am I'm concerned about the attendance we had this year. Despite the best home schedule we've ever had this was our worst attendance since 2018. More people showed up to watch us play stetson and Central Arkansas last year than the western kentucky and MTSU games this season. I believe our club hockey team had better attendance this year.
I’m not. Just win, baby!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just a quick assessment of this year. In retrospect, I don't think they came as close as some other recent LU teams to realizing their full potential, but would not go so far as to say they underachieved.

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, the loss of Blake Preston and Isaiah Warfield to the transfer portal hurt us badly. Preston would have matched up much better with some of the bigs we faced, and Warfield gave us another long, athletic perimeter defender to go with Venzant. They both had good reasons for leaving, and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them. Our small back court was definately a problem on the defensive end. I believe we addressed those losses in this year's Freshman class with Kai, Davis, and Blair, but Ritchie apparently felt we were better off long term to give them a year to develop and go with experience.

One area that was a puzzle to me and hurt us badly all year (but never more than last night) was our poor FT shooting. Hard to believe that just a few years ago we were one of the best FT shooting teams in the country on a regular basis. Of the 2 major offenders, Shiloh is gone, and Zach needs to improve. Metheny should be better than a 68% FT shooter as well. Because of how Zach plays, he gets to the line a lot, and his poor performance there really hurt us.
Cider Jim, Baybird, LUOrange liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I hope Sutherland, Spell and Yates all transfer and HCRM hits the Portal hard to find more athetic players that can defend post better and drive to the basket.

I'm not sure the Freshman that are came in this year are any good... I would have thought they would have played if they could have helped.

I think Cleveland needs to add shooting to his off-season workouts and if he can't shoot by the season starts, he's coming off the bench. I like him, but this is college, and a 6'7" guy should be able to hit an outside shot.

I think Venzant should start, but he needs to look to score more - the guy can - he's an athlete.

I'm not sure how we play Porter and Metheny together again... I like them both, but two 5'9" guards is going to make packline less effective.

I love Peebles, but when he wasn't starting - he wasn't hitting...

And...Every player should be shooting 500 Free Throws every day until next season. That lost us the game yesterday and that sucks!!!!!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: March 15th, 2024, 11:43 am I'm concerned about the attendance we had this year. Despite the best home schedule we've ever had this was our worst attendance since 2018. More people showed up to watch us play stetson and Central Arkansas last year than the western kentucky and MTSU games this season. I believe our club hockey team had better attendance this year.
Winning trumps all
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: March 15th, 2024, 4:45 pm I hope Sutherland, Spell and Yates all transfer and HCRM hits the Portal hard to find more athetic players that can defend post better and drive to the basket.

I'm not sure the Freshman that are came in this year are any good... I would have thought they would have played if they could have helped.

I think Cleveland needs to add shooting to his off-season workouts and if he can't shoot by the season starts, he's coming off the bench. I like him, but this is college, and a 6'7" guy should be able to hit an outside shot.

I think Venzant should start, but he needs to look to score more - the guy can - he's an athlete.

I'm not sure how we play Porter and Metheny together again... I like them both, but two 5'9" guards is going to make packline less effective.

I love Peebles, but when he wasn't starting - he wasn't hitting...

And...Every player should be shooting 500 Free Throws every day until next season. That lost us the game yesterday and that sucks!!!!!
I will be surprised if Spell does not transfer. His prospects for future PT at Liberty look slim, and he more than likely will finish his bachelor's degree this Spring, allowing him to be a grad transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining. I personally think Southerland has a lot of upside. Not as strong or versatile as Cleveland, but has similar athleticism, and is a much better shooter. Yates seems to be somewhat of a one trick pony, but he can shoot at a forward position, and we won't have Rode.

I honestly don't think Cleveland needs to become a big 3 point threat to be a star. If he can cut down on his turnovers and get his FT % up to about 70 while continuing to improve as a rebounder, inside scorer, shot blocker and playmaker, he can be the best player in CUSA.
By ECC29
I would have Cleveland start next year because of what he showed on both end of the floor. Yes, he needs to improve his free throw. Venzant can start because of his defense and rebounding abilities. Everyone else can be replaced. The two guards will either transfer to a different school or come off the bench.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 6:34 pm I would have Cleveland start next year because of what he showed on both end of the floor. Yes, he needs to improve his free throw. Venzant can start because of his defense and rebounding abilities. Everyone else can be replaced. The two guards will either transfer to a different school or come off the bench.
If that last statement is referring to Porter and Metheny........... :roll:

I don't see either of them transferring, and one of them will almost certainly start at PG. I do see them both getting somewhat reduced minutes, mostly splitting time at the point, and seldom in the game at the same time. I'm hoping that Venzant will step up enough on offense to get most of the minutes at the off guard, allowing us to go bigger up front most of the time. Peebles can play that role when we want to go small and move Joseph up front. Cleveland will start at one F, with the other 2 up for grabs between Southerland, Blair/Davis, and hopefully a talented transfer or 2. I suppose we could include Kai Yu in that mix, but I honestly don't have a clue on him except that he apparently can really shoot the 3 for a 7 footer.

Cleveland is our best player. In addition to improving at the line, he needs to cut down on turnovers. Do those 2 things and he will be a star. Adding even a hint of a threat from 3 would just be gravy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 15th, 2024, 7:18 pm
ECC29 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 6:34 pm I would have Cleveland start next year because of what he showed on both end of the floor. Yes, he needs to improve his free throw. Venzant can start because of his defense and rebounding abilities. Everyone else can be replaced. The two guards will either transfer to a different school or come off the bench.
If that last statement is referring to Porter and Metheny........... :roll:

I don't see either of them transferring, and one of them will almost certainly start at PG. I do see them both getting somewhat reduced minutes, mostly splitting time at the point, and seldom in the game at the same time. I'm hoping that Venzant will step up enough on offense to get most of the minutes at the off guard, allowing us to go bigger up front most of the time. Peebles can play that role when we want to go small and move Joseph up front. Cleveland will start at one F, with the other 2 up for grabs between Southerland, Blair/Davis, and hopefully a talented transfer or 2. I suppose we could include Kai Yu in that mix, but I honestly don't have a clue on him except that he apparently can really shoot the 3 for a 7 footer.

Cleveland is our best player. In addition to improving at the line, he needs to cut down on turnovers. Do those 2 things and he will be a star. Adding even a hint of a threat from 3 would just be gravy.
One of those two are going to need to come off the bench. You can play them together but not for long stretches. The question becomes who do you sit? Early in the year I’d have gone with Porter and sat Metheny. After it’s all said and done I’d switch that. I think Metheny can do everything Porter can do with the added benefit of being a better shooter and has the ability to create his own shot. Porter sees the floor a little better and I’d a better facilitator but I think Metheny brings more to the table
ECC29, flamehunter, Baybird liked this
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]