If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By AATL
Gritty game ongoing in Lynchburg. Flames are up 57-55 at the under-4 media timeout. This is one of the better Liberty Arena crowds I've seen/heard.

Regardless of the outcome, it has been great to see the level of mental toughness this game. The deficit has been bouncing between 5-9 for most of the first half and it often felt on the verge of spiraling out of control. It's been scrappy, though, and some big shots from Rode and Metheny + big blocks from Cleveland have made this a game.
aredd33 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely incredible game. We played outstanding basketball the last 10 minutes. Especially Rode and Metheny
By Tothehoopyall1
Brody played a heck of a game tonight and we don't win this game without his play tonight (no way). The team has been playing better since his minutes have increased. IMO cutting him back will be detrimental to the team at this point. It wouldn't bother me to see a rotation of Metheny, Rode, Peebles, Venzant, and Cleveland.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Gritty win! I just finished watching it due to recording it. Wow! I am so proud of this team and their perseverance. You could see they wanted it more. This had the feel of a championship caliber game. I am looking forward to how this season ends.
By LUOrange
That was the best home game in a while, at least since Nova last spring. The crowd was electric. It was so good, I watched the second half on TV when I got home. And as good as it sounded on ESPNU, it still didn't do the crowd proper justice. IMO, if it weren't for the crowd, LA Tech pulls away in the 1st half. The crowd/kids definitely played a huge factor tonight.

Glad to see Rode and Matheny break out of their funks. Peebles hit 2 mid range jumpers tonight, he now leads the team with 3 on the year. Matheney, Rode and Peebles carried us tonight. That Cleveland kid needs to start carrying his own weight, we can't have him slacking off. That's sarcasm for you naysayers.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That was one of the worst first halves of basketball the team has played this year. But they certainly made up for it in the second. Cleveland was still basking in the glory of his last games and had more turnovers than your local bakery.
The second half though…was a complete turnaround. Peebles is absolutely the MIP of this team. His added offense gives another dimension. Cleveland became a force on defense. And Rode finally calmed down and got his feet set before shooting.
The key to the second half comeback though was the defense. They took La Tech out of their game and limited the damage their big Frenchman could do. LU still has no answer 1 on 1 with any competent big man so they did the next best thing..l.made it difficult for the guards to get it to him. That was impressive
The team appears to be peaking at the right time.
Cider Jim, Chippy liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:42 pm Good things happen when Coach Randy Dunton is in the building
Jeff Meyer

Oh, BTW, I am indeed alive, and will hopefully be posting again from time to time.

Hopefully the Kyle Rode hate has been put to rest for the time being.
Is he limited athletically? Sure.
Is he still a heckofa basketball player? :nod
stokesjokes, LUOrange, Baybird and 2 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: February 11th, 2024, 9:54 am
stokesjokes wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:42 pm Good things happen when Coach Randy Dunton is in the building
Jeff Meyer

Oh, BTW, I am indeed alive, and will hopefully be posting again from time to time.

Hopefully the Kyle Rode hate has been put to rest for the time being.
Is he limited athletically? Sure.
Is he still a heckofa basketball player? :nod
Jeff Meyer was also in the building :lol:

Welcome back
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There were a few clutch moments in this game. But none bigger than Methaney. Love the laser focus, determination, and rhythm on the deep catch & shoot.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 11th, 2024, 8:40 am .....Cleveland was still basking in the glory of his last games and had more turnovers than your local bakery.....
La Tech's D appeared to be designed, in part, to stop Cleveland. He was getting doubled on the drive. They seemed to be in and out of match-up zone & a junk-like D focusing on ZC. ZC created the the opportunity for KM's game winner off his drive, which momentarily drew KM's defender. The read on the defender was pinpoint. And the timing was precise. The defender didn't have a chance to adequately recover. Two guys made that play happen. Double-Clutch.
thesportscritic liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Peebles had a rough first half, but not every turnover looked like a walk to me. And I’m the last guy to criticize refs. But the first half no rhythm, and LU had no answer for Batcho inside.

Second half LU gets rolling. LT hits its first nine shots, too. And it’s a slug fest. Home court definitely an advantage. Wouldn’t mind seeing these teams play a third time.

Why did LT go away from inside over the last ten minutes?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: February 11th, 2024, 6:18 pm Peebles had a rough first half, but not every turnover looked like a walk to me. And I’m the last guy to criticize refs. But the first half no rhythm, and LU had no answer for Batcho inside.

Second half LU gets rolling. LT hits its first nine shots, too. And it’s a slug fest. Home court definitely an advantage. Wouldn’t mind seeing these teams play a third time.

Why did LT go away from inside over the last ten minutes?
LU adjusted how they defended the ball screen. Also changed rotations some. But LT also just quit looking
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betwee[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]