If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think some of the angst people are feeling is that this team feels like it's overachieving just to be as good as it is, even though it might be the worst record we end with in 8 years. That's a testament to McKay's coaching and the character of the guys, but this isn't a down-year-team that looks like it has untapped potential for the future. Hope springs eternal, but I'm hesitant to crown our redshirts until I've seen them play. Remember that our highest rated recruit before Blair was Warfield, that didn't exactly go as I'd hoped.
By Ill flame
I assume when we were in the asun the coaching staff had to make a choice between undersized or less athletic guys with a certain skillset they value (McGhee, Porter, Peebles) or more prototypical athletes that required more development (venzant, Warfield, Homesley). We had multiple relative flops in a short amount of time in the latter category which required us to bring in too many guys in the former category.

In some ways venzant is disappointing because hes so talented and i think we all expected him to be a bigger contributor on offense but his defense still makes him an asset for this team so i dont consider him a recruiting flop for Mckay. I viewed Warfield the same way. If he were still on the bench we wouldn't be having the same issues on defense with the lack of athleticism and length. With our move to CUSA I expect that caliber of athlete to be the norm up and down our roster in a couple years. It remains to be seen how well Kai Yu can move but the days of bringing in undersized, unathletic players like Porter seem to be over for this program.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]