If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By AATL
Tight game through the first half of the first half.

It hasn't seemed especially chippy to this point, so what on earth was the legitimate right-hook to Shiloh's face? Seemed to come out of nowhere.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Can’t complain about a short rotation tonight. Southerland, Yates, Spell, and McKay have all had first half minutes. I wonder if coach sees this as a safer game to experiment.
AATL liked this
By AATL
Nice game for Cleveland so far. NMSU has tried a few different options and still seems unsure what to do with him. Venzant is quietly having a nice night as well.
stokesjokes liked this
By jmclaughlin
stokesjokes wrote: February 1st, 2024, 10:42 pm Can’t complain about a short rotation tonight. Southerland, Yates, Spell, and McKay have all had first half minutes. I wonder if coach sees this as a safer game to experiment.
Foul trouble with Venzant and Rode, plus the TKO on Robinson has forced a deeper rotation. Goof fortune to be up at half. This LU team needs some grit in the second half. Cleveland and Venzant cant be the only 2 that want it.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
AATL wrote: February 1st, 2024, 10:52 pm Nice game for Cleveland so far. NMSU has tried a few different options and still seems unsure what to do with him. Venzant is quietly having a nice night as well.
Cleveland’s potential is through the roof. He could really be special by the end of his career.

I know we haven’t seen anything of consequence from Southerland, but I really like the way he moves. He would give us great size at the 3 if we don’t force him to play as a big.
AATL liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
8 fouls in the first 3 minutes of the 2nd half. In for a long night, boys.
By ECC29
No one wants to shoot mid-range other than Peebles.
LUOrange liked this
By AATL
If you'd told me Liberty was shooting 16% from 3-pt with six minutes remaining, I'd think they were losing by 20.

So I will happily take the lead.
By jmclaughlin
Anyone else fall prey to expecting this team to put a good stretch of basketball together and pull away? It just doesn’t happen.
stokesjokes liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
I'm so tired of watching this team go for highlight dunks that miss everytime. Also tired of watching 6'7" guys miss wide open layups. Just unreal. They play well for stretches of time, but they go ice cold as well, and we have no closer that can get you a bucket when you need it most at the end of a game.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 11:42 pm No one wants to shoot mid-range other than Peebles.
It’s the lowest efficient shot in the game.

But the way this team misses layups, I see your point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 7:50 am
ECC29 wrote: February 1st, 2024, 11:42 pm No one wants to shoot mid-range other than Peebles.

Pfft. That’s been the worst trend in basketball ever. I LOVE the 3 point line but analytics is one of those things that looks and sounds good on paper but in reality is often different. Faking a 3 and hitting a pull up 15’ off one dribble will always be efficient and deadly.
LUOrange, phoenix liked this
By ECC29
It is crazy how many layups they missed this season. Especially, in critical moments. At least Peebles tried to play an all around game and he is effective at times.
By Ill flame
Reminds me of the three true outcomes in baseball (homerun, strikeout, walk). It makes it more boring to watch but statistically speaking it's the most efficient way to score. We are currently 16th in the nation in 2 point shooting percentage. It's our 3 point shots that aren't falling. We are 149th in that category.
By AATL
Broken nose for Shiloh, so it seems he'll be out for a bit. Losing big body depth will sting given the size disadvantages we've already seen this year.

"NMSU player tossed for punching foe in the face" cracked the ESPN top headlines today.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 8:44 am

Pfft. That’s been the worst trend in basketball ever. I LOVE the 3 point line but analytics is one of those things that looks and sounds good on paper but in reality is often different. Faking a 3 and hitting a pull up 15’ off one dribble will always be efficient and deadly.
The best shot is an open shot. Plus the threat of mid-range pull-ups spaces the defense better for the 3s and layups.

I don’t think you can build an offense around it anymore, but your offense is going to be better if you can and will take and make that shot.
By LUOrange
Can't blame Cleveland for last night. The kid brought it yesterday and was awesome. Problem was he was the only one to show up. KIf he plays close to that every night and can get some help from Rode, Matheny and/or Peebles, we'll put a run together if we can find an adequate replacement for Shiloh's size. I think the answer is Spell. In his scrub minutes and in his 90 seconds yesterday vs. that punk #1, his down low-D looked good. His O will obviously will have to pick up, and he'll have to work on his post-up game, but I think that would come with PT.
By LUOrange
stokesjokes wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 1:11 pm

The best shot is an open shot. Plus the threat of mid-range pull-ups spaces the defense better for the 3s and layups.

I don’t think you can build an offense around it anymore, but your offense is going to be better if you can and will take and make that shot.
The vast majority of Michael Jordan's highlights are awesome lay-ups and dunks, but he was most deadly with the midrange jumpshot. We've got guys capable, who've done it before but for some reason only want to shoot the 3 or drive to the basket when everyone else is considerably taller than them.
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I don't care what Cleveland said after he was fouled on that make, late in the game. The defender doubled-down with a hard elbow pressed in his face. What? TO on ZC? Crazy.

You would think there'd be less patience for this stuff, considering what happened to Shiloh earlier. Crazy.
Last edited by paradox on February 3rd, 2024, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 3:16 pm
stokesjokes wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 1:11 pm

The vast majority of Michael Jordan's highlights are awesome lay-ups and dunks, but he was most deadly with the midrange jumpshot. We've got guys capable, who've done it before but for some reason only want to shoot the 3 or drive to the basket when everyone else is considerably taller than them.
Michael Jordan averaged 37 points per game at age 24. He made 11 threes the entire season.

The game has changed. Try to keep up.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 3rd, 2024, 10:34 am Let me add this. I don't care what Cleveland said after he was fouled after that make, late in the game, and then doubled-down on with an elbow pressed in his face. So, you can foul on the shot and then be allowed to hard press an elbow to the face? All this with clear knowledge of how the game started out with Shiloh taking a vicious sucker blow upper-cut to the face?
It was called a double-tech, what more do you want?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Technical foul on both players was the call. They cancelled each other out. Crazy.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
If you're gonna call the tech on ZC, then at least put the other guy out of the game. Did they want a fight to break out?
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I have never seen Ritchie McCay that mad after a game. You could see that he wasn't happy with anything that happened at all.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]