If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Much better result tonight obviously!
When the 3 falls the team looks so much better. They were much more aggressive on the boards tonight against a taller and more athletic team. They had a little extra something in their step tonight. Most notable to Mrs Deplorable and me was the distinct lack of dribbling! Maybe they used up all the dribbles in the last couple of games. They moved without the ball. They penetrated with a purpose. They didn’t have a lot of silly TO’s (until the end of the game ). That along with the better defensive effort and rebounding were refreshing to see! As was the W!

Hat tip to having the best official in MBB on the game tonight!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I think our free throw shooting even improved a little. :shock: Play Basketball
By LU 57
Caught the second half. Nice performance.
By LUOrange
They looked a lot better. But still very sloppy, indecisive, and cold at times. It was good to see Peebles get more minutes, but it seemed McKay shortened his rotation quite a bit. Anyone know if Shiloh is in McKay's dog house? Kind of shocking to see him only get 2-3 minutes in the first half.
Tothehoopyall1 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: January 19th, 2024, 1:31 pm They looked a lot better. But still very sloppy, indecisive, and cold at times. It was good to see Peebles get more minutes, but it seemed McKay shortened his rotation quite a bit. Anyone know if Shiloh is in McKay's dog house? Kind of shocking to see him only get 2-3 minutes in the first half.
Yeah. Several times they over passed. But I’ll take that over constant dribbling for no purpose. Granted neither would be nice but you gotta pick your poison sometimes
By Tothehoopyall1
Well well.... Brody Peoples gets extra time and what do you know... we got the victory. We need that extra 3 point shot on the court and it paid off last night.
By Tothehoopyall1
LUOrange wrote: January 19th, 2024, 1:31 pm They looked a lot better. But still very sloppy, indecisive, and cold at times. It was good to see Peebles get more minutes, but it seemed McKay shortened his rotation quite a bit. Anyone know if Shiloh is in McKay's dog house? Kind of shocking to see him only get 2-3 minutes in the first half.
I think Shiloh has checked out on us.
Purple Haize liked this
By jmclaughlin
Games that we have struggled the most, vs. athletic bigs, Shiloh has been exposed. He seems like a world class guy and solid teammate but has very little fight in him. In the La Tech game he logged 17 minutes and had 1, ONE rebound. I was at the game and keyed in on him while he was on the Defensive end. He is great schematically and on the ground game but when the ball is in the air, he really struggles. There were 5-8 times were he had a chance to secure the possession and just couldn't do it. The game was lost in the paint and primarily from second chance points. Batcho alone had 7 offensive boards and it seemed they were easy gets when Shiloh was the primary defender. This is why he only logged 3 minutes last night. Might as well get an offensive threat on the floor (Peebles) if you are not going to get any board production from your big.
By LUOrange
Spell is is the tallest and barely plays. So if Shiloh, the only guy with size, doesn't play much I'm not sure how well we'll do. I'll add that it has appeared that Shiloh isn/t playing as well as he did last year. Of course, he's always had issues going up strong offensively consistently. But I don't think it's fair to bench him due to his play vs. Batcho, who completely altered the game for the entire team. While I think he needs to focus more on playing inside on offense and defense, I hope he hasn't checked out or has had a fall out with McKay. We still need him the rest of the way.
Last edited by LUOrange on January 20th, 2024, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: January 19th, 2024, 1:57 pm
Yeah. Several times they over passed. But I’ll take that over constant dribbling for no purpose. Granted neither would be nice but you gotta pick your poison sometimes
I love Cleveland, but he's so sloppy. I've already got a naturally homegrown Yakama, so if keeps passing the ball to the cheerleaders and the band and missing all of his free throws, I'm going to look like Telly Savalas by the end of the season.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
We complain about turnovers a lot, but we are 18th in the country in TO per game at 9.6. That's not bad. If Zach could clean up his game a bit, we might be at the top.

On another positive note, we had 26 assists last night on 27 made FG. :shock:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: January 19th, 2024, 5:13 pm Spell is is the tallest and barely plays. So if Shiloh, the only guy with size, doesn't play much I'm not sure how well we'll do. I'll add that it hasn't appeared that Shiloh is playing as well as he did last year. Of course, he's always had issues going up strong offensively consistently. But I don't think it's fair to bench him due to his play vs. Batcho, who completely altered the game for the entire team. While I think he needs to focus more on playing inside on offense and defense, I hope he hasn't checked out or has had a fall out with McKay. We still need him the rest of the way.
Coach kept his best ball handlers on the floor almost the whole game whole game given FIU's "havoc" defense. TO wise it paid off.
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]