If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
Here's our record by NET quadrants so far this season

Q1: 0-2
Q2: 0-3 (All 3 were within 5 points)
Q3: 5-2
Q4: 3-0

2023:
Q1: 0-3
Q2: 2-3
Q3: 6-3
Q4: 16-0

I don't think this team is any worse than we've had in recent years. We are just getting exposed by a tougher schedule. We consistently dominate Q4 teams, generally having a good but not great record in Q3 games and struggle against q1 and q2 teams.

Looking ahead 7 of our remaining 13 games are Q4 so I think we still have a good shot to win 20 games this year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m old enough to remember when LU was ranked dead last in every measurable poll
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 15th, 2024, 5:42 pm I’m old enough to remember when LU was ranked dead last in every measurable poll
Are you talking about the Hanky years??? Play Basketball Study (who came from WVU).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 16th, 2024, 12:02 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 15th, 2024, 5:42 pm I’m old enough to remember when LU was ranked dead last in every measurable poll
Are you talking about the Hanky years??? Play Basketball Study (who came from WVU).
It’s happened a couple of times I believe
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:05 am
Cider Jim wrote: January 16th, 2024, 12:02 am
It’s happened a couple of times I believe
Hanky. Those were some crazy years. Not so sure there was really a plan with that man lol! He did bring in some talent (including the most underrated player in men's basketball history imo). But again... the plan (or doing work). Anyone who wants to move on from RM is certified nuts. They also couldn't have possibly been around for the Mel Hankinson years. He did drop 59 in a college game tho.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
47/5-2 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:10 am Hanky. Those were some crazy years. Not so sure there was really a plan with that man lol! He did bring in some talent (including the most underrated player in men's basketball history imo).
Was that Rob Attaway from Texas? Maybe the only player in LU basketball history who came here with 2 full-ride scholarships (basketball and National Merit Finalist). Play Basketball Study
Or the guard Hanky brought with him from Morgantown?
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 15th, 2024, 8:40 pm Remember when JC Sanders was our best player?
That may have been the worst college basketball team I've ever watched.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:46 am
47/5-2 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:10 am Hanky. Those were some crazy years. Not so sure there was really a plan with that man lol! He did bring in some talent (including the most underrated player in men's basketball history imo).
Was that Rob Attaway from Texas? Maybe the only player in LU basketball history who came here with 2 full-ride scholarships (basketball and National Merit Finalist). Play Basketball Study
That guard from WVU was an amazing and underutilized asset. I just can’t recall his name. Carl Williams maybe? Great kid too
LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, Tech probably feels pretty fortunate to have walked away with a W in this one. The movement and tempo of Liberty’s offense was problematic for them.

This is a different game if Rode & Cleveland are not in foul trouble. They had to back off guarding the paint late in the game. This turned things immediately in Tech’s favor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 16th, 2024, 5:08 pm Honestly, Tech probably feels pretty fortunate to have walked away with a W in this one. The movement and tempo of Liberty’s offense was problematic for them.

This is a different game if Rode & Cleveland are not in foul trouble. They had to back off guarding the paint late in the game. This turned things immediately in Tech’s favor.
When LU moved and had tempo I agree. But LU went to a stand and dribble offense too much.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:16 pm
That guard from WVU was an amazing and underutilized asset. I just can’t recall his name. Carl Williams maybe? Great kid too
Yes, Carl Williams. Adrian Pledger’s best friend. Catlett was so mad at Mel for taking Carl, but GC never used him!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2024, 5:26 pm
paradox wrote: January 16th, 2024, 5:08 pm Honestly, Tech probably feels pretty fortunate to have walked away with a W in this one. The movement and tempo of Liberty’s offense was problematic for them.

When LU moved and had tempo I agree. But LU went to a stand and dribble offense too much.
Liberty likely saw Tech at or near their best. And Tech was both deserving and fortunate to come away with the home win.

Two things in LU's favor moving forward: 1. Team is growing and will continue to improve. 2. Team has a significant chip on its shoulder that doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 16th, 2024, 9:06 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Liberty likely saw Tech at or near their best. And Tech was both deserving and fortunate to come away with the home win.

Two things in LU's favor moving forward: 1. Team is growing and will continue to improve. 2. Team has a significant chip on its shoulder that doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.
I don’t see a chip on their shoulder.
If that is Techs best then LU is a long way from winning the Conference with that loss.
This is a reloading year so my expectations are not that high
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The chip is there. Can see it in their eyes. It's also necessary if they're going to continue to progress.

Personally, there are no specific expectations on my end. Just watching it all unfold right now. But, not writing this team off by any means. Far from it. Let's see how they look in March.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
JK37 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 6:37 pm
Yes, Carl Williams. Adrian Pledger’s best friend. Catlett was so mad at Mel for taking Carl, but GC never used him!
Supposedly, Carl was BE Defensive Player of the Year when he transferred. Don't know the validity of that. Hanky also had a couple of good forwards in Louvon Sneed and Delawn Grandison. Although, they may have been Dunton leftovers.

My funniest most frustrating moment was when Dunton clotheslined the opposing player with the clipboard, totally killing our momentum and costing us the game. Don't remember against who, but it was n his first year taking over from Meyer.
By LUOrange
paradox wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:23 pm The chip is there. Can see it in their eyes. It's also necessary if they're going to continue to progress.

Personally, there are no specific expectations on my end. Just watching it all unfold right now. But, not writing this team off by any means. Far from it. Let's see how they look in March.
Rebuilding year or not, I still think we finish Top 4 in CUSA. But somebody needs to step up and take charge on the court if that's going to happen.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:30 pm
JK37 wrote: January 16th, 2024, 6:37 pm

Supposedly, Carl was BE Defensive Player of the Year when he transferred. Don't know the validity of that. Hanky also had a couple of good forwards in Louvon Sneed and Delawn Grandison. Although, they may have been Dunton leftovers.

My funniest most frustrating moment was when Dunton clotheslined the opposing player with the clipboard, totally killing our momentum and costing us the game. Don't remember against who, but it was n his first year taking over from Meyer.
HA. I was at that game. He didn’t clothesline the player but did reach out and try to steal the ball That was hilarious! It was against Norfolk St i believe.
LUOrange liked this
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
The player I'm referring to is Chris Caldwell. Carl Williams was a superb athlete. I don't think he was actually the Big East Defensive Player of The Year but he was hyped as such. He is largely forgotten and should be in any conversation looking to establish a list of great defensive players through the years at Liberty. I've just always felt Chris gets left off the list when talking about top LU players of all time. No... he's not the best. But I would put him Top 10.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:32 pm
paradox wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:23 pm The chip is there. Can see it in their eyes. It's also necessary if they're going to continue to progress.

Rebuilding year or not, I still think we finish Top 4 in CUSA. But somebody needs to step up and take charge on the court if that's going to happen.
Late last year, the 3 key returnees came through in the clutch, when things mattered most, in conference tourney & NIT. Metheny's a great fit & should be expected to come through as well.

Let's see how it plays out. Sometimes we may need to remind ourselves that it's a marathon, and not a race.
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be betw[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]