If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU 57
Looking okay so far, but need to get the TOs under control.

I know HCRM loves Rode, and I am sorry to be negative, but for me, he is super hard to watch. I am genuinely surprised when he makes a shot…
By LU 57
LU 57 wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:44 pm Looking okay so far, but need to get the TOs under control.

I know HCRM loves Rode, and I am sorry to be negative, but for me, he is super hard to watch. I am genuinely surprised when he makes a shot…
Ha, as soon as I hit enter on this, he hits 2.. I’ll take it.
Chippy liked this
By lueer
Registration Days Posts
When we don’t hit threes we aren’t very good. Don’t think we are going to be very good on the road. Never seem to shot well on the road
LU 57, Liberty22 liked this
By Tothehoopyall1
Well… it seems like we are not playing defense tonight coupled with a ton of turnovers. They are scoring at will both inside and out. Yikes!!
By LU 57
Ugly game for LU. 8-35 from 3, 15 TOs, and MANY missed layups, but I have to compliment the fight. They were down 13 with ~4 minutes left and they had a shot to tie or win it at the end.

As Purple mentioned awhile back we just don’t have anybody that can finish at the rim consistently. I think Cleveland is taking steps in that direction. Had a nice game with and 23 and 7 although he needs to take better care of the basketball.
Liberty22 liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
I have been a fan for 32 years and have watched a lot of bad LU basketball. This has been an unprecedented run of success so I want to be careful when I say this...

We are no longer rising as a basketball program. We have hit a plateau. I am not sure how we break out of this but I do trust Ritchie to figure it out. We need to be patient...and this is coming from a guy who has been patient with this program since 1991.
Veritas, Liberty22 liked this
By ECC29
lueer wrote: January 6th, 2024, 9:33 pm We need more length and athleticism. Period. No margin for error
Some of us have been saying this for the last couple of years.
thesportscritic liked this
By ECC29
LU 57 wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:46 pm
LU 57 wrote: January 6th, 2024, 7:44 pm Looking okay so far, but need to get the TOs under control.

Ha, as soon as I hit enter on this, he hits 2.. I’ll take it.
Every coach has their favorite player that could do no wrong. Rode in my view is mostly ineffective. He is slow and no jumping ability that can compete against better D1 teams. I have a tough time watching him also. He had some moments but mostly ineffective, especially on defense and rebounds.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Credit this team for never giving up. Horrible decisions that last possession from Cleveland passing up the lay up to not putting up the bunny by Matheny to Matheny not passing out but dribbling out for the tough 3. BUT super credit for putting themselves in a position to win.
The shooting was atrocious but they were still in it.
Kyle is a great leader and glue guy but if he’s gonna be a main component of your offense you’re gonna struggle.
LOVE how VanZandt went over and shook WKUs coaches hand after fouling out.
Liberty22 liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Hard to blame anything on Metheny when PEEBLES missed 2 lay ups, venzant missed two and Robinson missed one. Forget everything else… we’ve been struggling from behind the arc except for Metheny when he’s hot. We had every right to win that game. I still like the fight, I just think this team needs to get out of their shooting funk. RM coaches his players to keep shooting even when they’re missing. It was hard to watch Rode tonight bc he flat out struggled. If he can get back to playing/shooting the way he did in Myrtle Beach it would make a world of difference.

Porter seems to be struggling a little more this year than he did last. He seems to be forcing things a bit at times and it’s causing unnecessary TOs. The thing is, all of these kids are so dang likeable. They really do represent us well so I’ll keep watching, attending, being loud and rooting them on.
By jmclaughlin
Team play is great. The coaching is evident.
Problem is execution. You cant coach players to make layups. Cant coach 5'9" into 6'3". Cant coach athleticism.

My first reaction was that this was just one of those games. That we just had a let down. Not so.
The consistency of this team is missed bunnies, KR being exposed by superior athletes and streaky shooting.
ECC29, Liberty22 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Humble_Opinion wrote: January 6th, 2024, 11:00 pm Hard to blame anything on Metheny when PEEBLES missed 2 lay ups, venzant missed two and Robinson missed one. Forget everything else… we’ve been struggling from behind the arc except for Metheny when he’s hot. We had every right to win that game. I still like the fight, I just think this team needs to get out of their shooting funk. RM coaches his players to keep shooting even when they’re missing. It was hard to watch Rode tonight bc he flat out struggled. If he can get back to playing/shooting the way he did in Myrtle Beach it would make a world of difference.

Porter seems to be struggling a little more this year than he did last. He seems to be forcing things a bit at times and it’s causing unnecessary TOs. The thing is, all of these kids are so dang likeable. They really do represent us well so I’ll keep watching, attending, being loud and rooting them on.
My critique had only to do with the last possession
By Ill flame
Shots didn't fall tonight but I blame our defense just as much for this loss. That's where our lack of length and athleticism is hurting us the most. I'm just happy to be in a conference where we are no longer expected to win every game and anything less is a disappointment.
LU 57 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2024, 10:25 pm Horrible decisions that last possession from Cleveland passing up the lay up to not putting up the bunny by Matheny to Matheny not passing out but dribbling out for the tough 3.
Agreed, a layup would have tied the game. We didn't need a low percentage 3 ball.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Kaiden wanted the ball, and that shot in that situation. Love that. Fully confident that he can knock down a turn around 3. Seems like he altered it in the air? Don’t know why? Would have to see a replay. Maybe Peebles was in the way? Who knows?

Guys fought hard to get back in it. Good sign that they can come this close on the road against a quality opponent, despite the poor shooting.

Cleveland was a force. And just keeps getting better.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:58 am Kaiden wanted the ball, and that shot in that situation. Love that. Fully confident that he can knock down a turn around 3. Seems like he altered it in the air? Don’t know why? Would have to see a replay. Maybe Peebles was in the way? Who knows?

Guys fought hard to get back in it. Good sign that they can come this close on the road against a quality opponent, despite the poor shooting.

You mean the Peebles who was still open in the corner? The Peebles that he dribbled right next to and tried a turn around circus ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 10:45 am We can’t make layups.

On the road. Go for the win.
Normally I’d agree. But passing up an easy lay up for a 3…not sure. Certainly not forgoing a put back 2 in favor of a dribble out 3 under pressure in the corner.
Chippy, Cider Jim liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 7th, 2024, 1:52 pm
paradox wrote: January 7th, 2024, 11:58 am Kaiden wanted the ball, and that shot in that situation. Love that. Fully confident that he can knock down a turn around 3. Seems like he altered it in the air? Don’t know why? Would have to see a replay. Maybe Peebles was in the way? Who knows?

You mean the Peebles who was still open in the corner? The Peebles that he dribbled right next to and tried a turn around circus ?
It did seem like he may have had a clear path to the basket initially, but my perspective is limited, and I don’t know what he sensed on the court beyond that.

I trust Kaiden more than Brody in that situation, even with the turnaround, because he’s guaranteed to get his shot off. He’s also the most reliable shooter on the team. Honestly, Peebles probably wasn’t expecting a turn around three. It’s not in most people’s game. They are still learning to play together to a degree.

He passes to Brody there if he senses Brody has sufficient time to get a shot off. He didn’t.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 7th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Normally I’d agree. But passing up an easy lay up for a 3…not sure. Certainly not forgoing a put back 2 in favor of a dribble out 3 under pressure in the corner.
I’m saying by play design. Draw up a 3 to win, taken with Leigh time for putback to tie. On the road.

Possession arrow and number of fouls for each team also affects my call. Tons of other factors such as personnel and clock obviously also come into play.

I’m just saying in general, I always went for the win on the road and the tie at home.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 7th, 2024, 4:29 pm

It did seem like he may have had a clear path to the basket initially, but my perspective is limited, and I don’t know what he sensed on the court beyond that.

I trust Kaiden more than Brody in that situation, even with the turnaround, because he’s guaranteed to get his shot off. He’s also the most reliable shooter on the team. Honestly, Peebles probably wasn’t expecting a turn around three. It’s not in most people’s game. They are still learning to play together to a degree.

He passes to Brody there if he senses Brody has sufficient time to get a shot off. He didn’t.
So you’re saying he didn’t think he’d have time to pass to Brody to get a shot but had time to dribble out there to the corner next to him and take the shot….. That’s still a bad decision when. He was 2’ from the basket for a put back.
I’d rather have Kaiden with the ball too as I think he has a super high basketball IQ. He’s probably my favorite player on the team I just think in this one instance he made a bad decision in a critical situation. It didn’t cost them the game because there were several other situations that could have changed the outcome.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 7th, 2024, 4:52 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 7th, 2024, 1:53 pm

I’m saying by play design. Draw up a 3 to win, taken with Leigh time for putback to tie. On the road.

Possession arrow and number of fouls for each team also affects my call. Tons of other factors such as personnel and clock obviously also come into play.

I’m just saying in general, I always went for the win on the road and the tie at home.
Absolutely. Conversely I’d hope my team could just play basketball instead of playing the play and get a GIMMIE if they had a chance. They had 2 gimmies in this case. Oh well. Let’s run it back.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 7th, 2024, 5:20 pm
paradox wrote: January 7th, 2024, 4:29 pm

So you’re saying he didn’t think he’d have time to pass to Brody to get a shot but had time to dribble out there to the corner next to him and take the shot….. That’s still a bad decision when. He was 2’ from the basket for a put back.
I’d rather have Kaiden with the ball too as I think he has a super high basketball IQ. He’s probably my favorite player on the team I just think in this one instance he made a bad decision in a critical situation. It didn’t cost them the game because there were several other situations that could have changed the outcome.
No, that’s not what I’m saying. Peebles needs to be set up perfectly with sufficient time in order to get his shot off. My take is that Kaiden knew he’d be able to get the turnaround off.

I’m not sure if he passed on an easy 2. Initially, for a split second, I thought that too. Maybe he saw something that we couldn’t? We’d have to ask him. But we’re in agreement on taking the easy 2 if it’s there. Momentum was favorable heading into OT.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]