If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Surprised no one has posted anything about this game today. :dontgetit
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Surprised no one has posted anything about this game today. :dontgetit
It's a Christmas miracle!
Cider Jim liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: December 30th, 2023, 12:22 pm
ballcoach15 wrote:Surprised no one has posted anything about this game today. :dontgetit
It's a Christmas miracle!
He even replied with a quote the other day! I don’t know what was more shocking the imbedded quote or the fact he responded!
Cider Jim liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: December 30th, 2023, 12:58 pm Apparently he has been coached up! Great job Cider!
Not all hero’s wear capes
LU 57, thesportscritic liked this
By ECC29
There are already a couple of plays where the LU guards has the basket in front them and cannot convert the layups because of size disadvantage.
By lueer
Registration Days Posts
We would probably have been better just to not start a thread
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The one thread ballcoach starts and this is what happens :shock:
flamehunter liked this
By ECC29
Yep. The story is always the same. Undersize, LU plays under the rim while the other team is playing above the rim and no chance of winning.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
101-56 final. Bad game for LU on offense and defense. Need to recruit bigger, and more athletic players.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Bad day for basketball in the state. LU, VT and UVA all lose, by a combined 90 points.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU needs a finisher. Be it a big or a wing that’s what will help win games like this The guards are undersized for sure but from what little I saw they were able to get by their on ball defenders pretty easily. But they then had no one to pass to that demanded attention or were unable to find someone spotted up to knock down a 3. I’ll be very interested to see what the Red Shirts bring to the table next year. Until then I’ll watch this group of overachievers and celebrate their success
By Ill flame
Games like this just serve as a reminder of how good of a coach mckay is. Talent wise we are probably a mid Quadrant 3 team but we should've beat the one Q2 team we played and are 5-1 against Q3 opponents. This is a very well coached team that plays better than the sum of their parts but games against teams with legit talent like alabama shows how much further we still have left to go as a program.

At the end of the day it's just one bump in the road. We still look poised to finish at or near the top of CUSA and the future looks bright. Someday we'll regularly beat teams like this.
Baybird, flamehunter liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I don’t see us beating LATech with their length and athleticism. Ritchie is a good coach but he has to bring in length and athleticism to compete with the Q1 schools. Our best teams had both with Georgie, Caleb, Scottie, Lovell, etc. now teams are shooting over our tiny guards, driving at will and grabbing rebounds like nothing.
By Ill flame
ballah09 wrote: December 31st, 2023, 2:00 pm I don’t see us beating LATech with their length and athleticism. Ritchie is a good coach but he has to bring in length and athleticism to compete with the Q1 schools. Our best teams had both with Georgie, Caleb, Scottie, Lovell, etc. now teams are shooting over our tiny guards, driving at will and grabbing rebounds like nothing.
I think you're just remembering those teams with red, white and blue colored glasses. I'll assume you are specifically talking about the 2018-2019 season because we had that same core group of players the year prior and was 186 in kenpom. In the 2018-2019 season we had the same struggles against good teams leading up to our win over Mississippi state. We were 18-0 in Q4 games that year but 7-7 against Q1-3 teams. For context we are currently 3-0 in Q4 games and 5-4 in Q1-3 games. Our backcourt was bigger with that group of guys but our front court was slightly shorter.

2018-2019:
Starters
Pacheco-Ortiz (G)- 6' 1"
Cabbil (G)- 6' 3"
Cuffee (G)- 6' 4"
Homesley (G)- 6' 6"
James (F)- 6' 8"

Bench
McGhee (G) - 5' 9"
Gumbs (F)- 6' 5"

2023-2024:
Starters
Porter (G)- 5' 9"
Metheny (G)- 5' 10"
Venzant (G)- 6' 3"
Rode (F)- 6' 7"
Cleveland (F)- 6' 7"

Bench
Peebles (G)- 6' 2"
Robinson (F)- 6' 7"
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yeah. Homesley ain’t walking through that door. His combo of length and athleticism and skill was cfringe NBA. NOBODY on the current roster matches that. And that’s ok for now.

RMK knows he has to get bigger and longer. No surprise there.
Cider Jim liked this
By Humble_Opinion
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 31st, 2023, 4:13 pm
ballah09 wrote: December 31st, 2023, 2:00 pm I don’t see us beating LATech with their length and athleticism. Ritchie is a good coach but he has to bring in length and athleticism to compete with the Q1 schools. Our best teams had both with Georgie, Caleb, Scottie, Lovell, etc. now teams are shooting over our tiny guards, driving at will and grabbing rebounds like nothing.
I think you're just remembering those teams with red, white and blue colored glasses. I'll assume you are specifically talking about the 2018-2019 season because we had that same core group of players the year prior and was 186 in kenpom. In the 2018-2019 season we had the same struggles against good teams leading up to our win over Mississippi state. We were 18-0 in Q4 games that year but 7-7 against Q1-3 teams. For context we are currently 3-0 in Q4 games and 5-4 in Q1-3 games. Our backcourt was bigger with that group of guys but our front court was slightly shorter.

2018-2019:
Starters
Pacheco-Ortiz (G)- 6' 1"
Cabbil (G)- 6' 3"
Cuffee (G)- 6' 4"
Homesley (G)- 6' 6"
James (F)- 6' 8"

Bench
McGhee (G) - 5' 9"
Gumbs (F)- 6' 5"

2023-2024:
Starters
Porter (G)- 5' 9"
Metheny (G)- 5' 10"
Venzant (G)- 6' 3"
Rode (F)- 6' 7"
Cleveland (F)- 6' 7"

Bench
Peebles (G)- 6' 2"
Robinson (F)- 6' 7"
I think the point is the Guard spot. Most colleges are playing a 3/2 now… so if two-thirds of your guards are > 6’ (really need 6’2” at a minimum) then you’re going to struggle against Quad 1 schools. If Venzant had a jump shot and used his quickness to penetrate more he could be one of our best players. Even still he’s stepped it up this year. Unfortunately, the refs really took him off his game vs. Alabama.
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]