If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, Florida

FAU Hoops Official Site

Eleanor R. Baldwin Arena
Opened in 1984 - Seats 2900

Dusty May
6th Season as FAU Head Coach

2023-2024 Schedule/Results
Nov 08 - vs. Loyola Chicago in Chicago ............................. W 75-62
Nov 14 - Eastern Michigan ................................................. W 100-57
Nov 18 - Bryant ................................................................... L 52-61
Nov 23 - vs. Butler in Kissimmee ....................................... W 91-86
Nov 24 - vs. #12 Texas A&M in Kissimmee .......................... W 96-89
Nov 26 - vs. Virginia Tech in Kissimmee ............................ W 84-50
Nov 30 - Liberty .................................................................... 6:00 PM ET
Dec 02 - College of Charleston

Key Player

#50 Vladislav Goldin
7' 1" 240 lbs Junior Center
Thru 6 Games: Averaging 14.7 Pts, 6.3 Rebs,.8 Assists & 2.2 Blocks + 72.7 FG%
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
It seems that loss to Bryant woke them up. Definitely going to be a tough game
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I watched their victory over A&M the other day with my Aggie son. FAU is DEEP. They can beat you multiple ways with about ten guys on their roster who can step out on any night. We will need to bring our A-Game to hang with them much less beat them.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
This will be a great test for us. We have struggled against athletic guards that can drive and they seem to have 35 of them on their roster...

One thing that might help us is that they seem to be vulnerable against the three and that's a strength for us:)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Will this game be streamed or televised OR only on the radio? :dontgetit
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Definitely our toughest test of the season
By ECC29
If we can get Cleveland to stop giving up the ball to the other team. He has no business handling the ball that long.
By ECC29
LU 57 wrote: November 30th, 2023, 7:09 pm Man, these guys are BIG and FAST.
We love our team. They are very good this year. But, we need sizes next year. Especially, down in the post.
LU 57 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I wasn't expecting us to win this game. I did think the gap would be a little bit closer though. I think the second half will be a little bit better. I think we are shell shocked with the size, speed, and athleticism. We clearly haven't seen anything like this so far this season.

These boys are good.

I still think we are good. Hasn't changed my mind.
LU 57, ATrain liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Wish we could get teams like this to Lynchburg. Hard to get going on the road. Hopefully our shooting gets better in 2nd.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
aredd33 wrote: November 30th, 2023, 7:38 pm I wasn't expecting us to win this game. I did think the gap would be a little bit closer though. I think the second half will be a little bit better. I think we are shell shocked with the size, speed, and athleticism. We clearly haven't seen anything like this so far this season.

These boys are good.

I still think we are good. Hasn't changed my mind.
These guys absolutely boat raced Tech by 34. We will be fine. We are just not Final 4 ready quite yet.

The graphic says they have 14 of 15 back from last year’s Final 4 team.
TH Spangler, ATrain liked this
By lueer
Registration Days Posts
Expected us to play a little better. They are really good. But we havent played well.
LU 57 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I haven't looked back at our past schedules but this seems like the best team we've played in years. I can't think of any one off the top of my head. Maybe someone with a better memory can correct me.
By LU 57
aredd33 wrote: November 30th, 2023, 8:50 pm I haven't looked back at our past schedules but this seems like the best team we've played in years. I can't think of any one off the top of my head. Maybe someone with a better memory can correct me.
Alabama from a couple of years ago was pretty darn good. I think they beat us by about 40 and were ranked 1 at one point.
lueer, aredd33, aredd33 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
No answer for Goldin. Love to see the return of the old school big man. They were much more athletic at every position than LU but if they didn’t have Goldin it would have been a different game
Love Porter and Methehny in the backcourt. Off the charts basketball IQ but neither are over 5’10 or terribly athletic.
Vanzant is a great defender but an absolute liability on offense
If you can speed Rhode up he becomes ineffective

Having said all that LU won’t face a team like this until the Tournament if they make it). They will be fine but we saw the difference between a good team and a Too 25 Team
Baybird, LU 57 liked this
By Ill flame
Nothing wrong with the occasional beat down like this to serve as a reminder of how much further we still need to go to compete with the best. We just flat out got beat by a better team which is why I'm not upset about it. Fortunately with the recruits we are bringing in, the days of relying on players lacking in size and/or athleticism should be behind us soon enough. At least to a certain extent.
aredd33, Purple Haize liked this
By LU 57
JK37 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 1:06 am How the heck did Bryant beat that team?!
That is a great question. Very hard to imagine.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 6:03 am
JK37 wrote: December 1st, 2023, 1:06 am How the heck did Bryant beat that team?!
That is a great question. Very hard to imagine.
How did High Point beat our women's bball team in the Vines in 2005? After that happened, our women's bball team boat raced every Big South opponent and carried that momentum into the Sweet 16.

Upsets happen, and great teams respond by regrouping and not overlooking an opponent. Bryant woke up a sleeping giant that we ran into. We are a great team, potentially a top 25 team, but we are not a top 10 caliber. FAU is a top 10 team, even if they're currently ranked 15th.

Now it's time for our great team to respond by regrouping, by not losing confidence, and focusing on the next game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We need bigger and more athletic players. Most of the roster has the same skill sets. Until we change our recruiting footprint, we'll never beat ranked teams.
Football, baseball and softball is completive against Power 5 schools, basketball should be also.
Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]